Sponsors:

Attention timber framers in or near PA

Started by Rooster, August 29, 2011, 12:14:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rooster

Wish I could go!!!

PUBLIC AUCTION
www.dchesleyauctioneering.com

Due to health problems, Howard & Betty are selling their collections. Located at 725 Townline Rd. Russell, PA (2 miles west of Russell or 10 miles east of Sugar Grove on Rt 957, 1 mile north on Townline)

FRIDAY AND SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 2ND  AND 3RD  2011

Here is the list of just the TF type tools:

broad axes, shaving horse, Miller Falls 2-speed and other beam borers, draw - cooper and mast shaves, peevee and cant hooks, Delta 4' wood lathe, table saw, hundreds of antique tools

Here is the direct link and entire listing:
http://dchesleyauctioneering.com/sales/09020311.htm
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

Brad_bb

Yeah, no kidding.  What is a Millers Falls 2 speed?  Is that a typo as I've never head of such a thing.  Boss machines are 2 speed.  In the pics I could only see a pic with 2 Snell machines.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

mastiffluvins

This is 5 mins from were I live and yes I will be going. Hello everyone, this is my first post here and a beginner in TF. From the pictures could anyone tell me anything about the beam borers and how much they think they should sell for?

Brad_bb

Boring machines like Snell, Swan probably $100-$265 retail provided they are in fully working condition and gears nor anything else damaged.  Millers Falls $300-500(I've seen most go for closer to the $300 mark during the recession).  Boss $225-$350.

This is my evaluation from what I've seen sell lately.  Any type of damage will of course lower the value.  Prices have fallen since the recession started in 2008.  They started to tick up slightly this year. 

Jim_Rogers

I thought I saw two machine stacked on the shelf and one hanging up some where else.

None of them appear to be a Millers Falls machine or a Boss either.

Jim Rogers

PS. Welcome to the forum mastiffluvins...... got an easier first name we can call you?
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

shinnlinger

am I missing something?  I see Ford Exploders, cows, farmalls, model airplanes and milkcans but tiny pictures at that....
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Rooster

The thumbnail pics have an arrow on the left and right to advance the pics, click on which thumbnail pic that you want to see larger.
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

mastiffluvins

Easier first name Jim is Ian. Just a little insight in this guy. Those cows you see are milking devons and very well trained team of oxen. He used to show them and it was amazing the control he had over them.
i will let you know how it goes but I am set on getting the best boring machine and a broad axe....... If the wife allows.

Also, may I just tell you that I love the forum. I have lots of plans for the future which I will post.

mastiffluvins

8)  Ok we had a great 2 days at the auction. Lots of cool stuff and I only got a small portion. I am totally over the moon with what I ended up with though.
Boss beam borer
Snell/Swan beam borer. Can anyone show me pictures comparing these machines please.
Corner chisels:
1 1/2" think it is marked Web? is this correct
1" Cox
1" Mix
1" no mark

3 1/4" x 35 1/2" slick
2 1/2" x 30" slick marked A.M?

Beam boring bits:
1 1/4"
6 x 2"
1 1/4" Snell Also stamped L.H Miller (owner)?
2" Snell

Drawknifes:

10" Witherby
12" & 10" Lakeside
8" Ohio Tool
8" Folding Hibbard
7" Folding LS Cantelo
9" PS & W Co No1 FX

also picked up some cool tools I had to do a little research on when I got home.
3 x Coopers shaves
1 Very cool coopers adze

Millers Falls hand Auger

4x foot adzs
Stanley 45 plane
Antique Spoke pointer
Hollow auger

Lots of hand augers varios sizes
1 broad axe

And other bits and pieces.

I will try and upload pictures later( after I have stopped playing with my new stuff).

Anybody need anymore info just message me. If you are interested in any of this stuff let me know.

Brad_bb

I am interested in seeing a pic of the Boss and hearing what you paid.  I never saw a Boss in the pictures.  I own 4 and a half of them(an extra carriage is the half).  FYI, I am planning to reproduce some parts for the Boss over the winter.  In addition, I also plan to bore my carriages and add replaceable oilite bronze bushings to the shafts.  Just something to know about.

Thank You Sponsors!