iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Driving in Canada

Started by Qweaver, February 03, 2014, 01:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

Do I need to make any special insurance changes to be legal in Canada?  We will be in Canada at least a week, no visa required?  OK to carry in alcoholic drinks and food items?
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

beenthere

Might be a good question to put to your Insurance agent about coverage in CA.  Seems if customs has any question that your insurance receipts should prove you are covered.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Talk with your insurance agent.  You will need a passport. (to get back into the USA)  There is a limit on liquor so be sure to declare it at the border.

The main thing is to remember that you are a guest in Canada and are there at their will.  Respect the Canadians and their country.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DonT

You will need a passport,I know when I cross I have to produce my passport both in entering the US, and when returning to Canada.You are allowed to bring specified amounts of alcohol and Tobacco in for personal consumption.You might consider AAA/CAA in case of an emergency,its an easy 1-800 # rather than trying to find local numbers.I would not travel with firearms,especially handguns,way to much paper work.I drove to Florida last winter and I did not require any special insurances,but it might be wise to check with your insurance broker.

turnkey

Quote from: Qweaver on February 03, 2014, 01:08:54 PM
Do I need to make any special insurance changes to be legal in Canada?  We will be in Canada at least a week, no visa required?  OK to carry in alcoholic drinks and food items?

Can't help with the insureance.  I never even checked.  Used to make a trip every year into Kamloops BC.  You can't take fruit across, probably vegetables also. Someone else mentioned leaving any weapons AND THAT INCLUDES MACE AND PEPER SPRAY at home.

I got ticket just across the border in BC for "Speedign while passing".  Seems an odd rule.  I took care of the ticket in Kamloops and the person acceting the fine asked "What idiot wrote this?".  Soo...ya takes your chances I guess.  I don't see any safe way to pass without speeding and that is legal in my state.  Of course things change and my last trip was some 15 or 20 years ago.

Harry K

Chuck White

Quote from: Qweaver on February 03, 2014, 01:08:54 PM

If any of the alcolol has been opened, it's advisable to transport it in the trunk, not in the drivers compartment!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SwampDonkey

You can check with your insurance agent, but I'm pretty sure there is a Canada/US agreement on driver's insurance. We have crossed into Maine for years and never needed nothing special up until 9/11 when passports became a requirement. And it was only later that it was required to enter Canada with a passport, I think since the Afghan war. For the first few years after 9/11 they never asked at Canada customs. Bringing food is generally no trouble, unless your bringing more than 1 turkey per vehicle occupant. Which is a stupid rule, but anyhow.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Billbob

Your driver's license is valid here as is any license from the American states.  So is your insurance.  Just have your passport, driver's permit, vehicle registration and insurance card.  Don't bring any fruit with you (or honey bees!)  Don't bring any firearms (your visit might be longer than you anticipated! :))  Come on up and enjoy yourself.  We're glad to have you!  And bring some warm weather with you!  We're a little on the short side right now!
Bill
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

Hilltop366

A passport is not required to enter Canada for a Canadian or US citizen, but it is recommended.

The guy down the road who was born and lives in Canada and has never lived in the US goes to the US several times a year, he enters the US with his US passport, then when returns to Canada shows his Canadian birth certificate and drivers licence. Its really starting to bother the US border people but they can't do much about it.
They keep asking him how he got the US passport, he replies "I applied for it"

More info from here: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/td-dv-eng.html#_s1

Identification requirements for U. S. citizens and permanent residents

If you are a U.S. citizen, ensure you carry proof of citizenship such as a passport, birth certificate, a certificate of citizenship or naturalization, a U.S. Permanent Resident Card, or a Certificate of Indian Status along with photo identification.

For all modes of entry, we recommend you carry a valid passport for all travel abroad, including visits to Canada from the United States. A passport may be required by your airline or alternative transportation authority, as it is the only universally-accepted identification document.

Citizens and permanent residents of the United States who are members of the NEXUS or FAST programs may present their membership cards to the CBSA as proof of identity and as documents that denote citizenship, when arriving by land or marine modes only.

All visitors arriving from or transiting through the United States are encouraged to visit the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Web site for information concerning the U.S. Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, and the requirements to enter or return to the United States.

SwampDonkey

We have to show our Canadian Passports here when re entering Canada and I also know they do in Ontario as I've crossed at the Saulte. I've asked them if it was required and they said it was now. How would a Canadian born and living here get a US passport? I think someone is pulling your leg. If he's using a US box office for an address, he might be in for a surprise some day.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

21incher

Here in NY I have gotten what they call a Enhanced License that is valid in place of a passport for travel to Canada & Mexico. It costs a little more then a regular license and requires a DHS background check but is quick to get. You may want to check with your DMV to see if it is available in your state. In the past a friend of mine had a little trouble at the boarder because he had a bunch of 5 gallon containers of gas for his snowmobiles with him.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

SwampDonkey

That's interesting because a lot of people go to Maine to fill up gas jugs for their lawn mowers and never trouble. I've learned a long time ago that every crossing has their own rules.  ::) ::)

DonT

I know I have to produce my passport when I cross at the Ivy Lea bridge,Johnstown, or Cornwall.Going into the states the commercial sticker in the truck window usually gets me a few additional questions.As mentioned earlier a nexus card works to  but that is normally for people who cross on a regular basis.And yep  one turkey.

DaleK

There are some foods they're touchy about but you'd have to look it up.
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

Bill Gaiche

When I drove from Vancouver to Calgary and back, it seemed to me a lot like the USA. Just took a while to get use to the speedometers and the speed limit signs. Breaking any rules in another country is not going to be pretty as mentioned. You are at there mercy. Canada is a very beautiful place and a lot of friendly people. You are going to love it. bg

Sprucegum

If you are carrying alcohol be sure and declare it when asked. If you don't and they find it they will take it away  :(

WDH

Quote from: DaleK on February 03, 2014, 07:48:36 PM
There are some foods they're touchy about but you'd have to look it up.

You might have to have a Permit to bring in Grits  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Hilltop366

Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 03, 2014, 06:26:09 PM
We have to show our Canadian Passports here when re entering Canada and I also know they do in Ontario as I've crossed at the Saulte. I've asked them if it was required and they said it was now. How would a Canadian born and living here get a US passport? I think someone is pulling your leg. If he's using a US box office for an address, he might be in for a surprise some day.
From the Canadian Border Services Agency

Identification for Canada/U.S. travel

"If you are a U.S. citizen, ensure you carry proof of citizenship such as a passport, birth certificate, a certificate of citizenship or naturalization, a U.S. Permanent Resident Card, or a Certificate of Indian Status along with photo identification."

As I read it the commas mean "or"  followed by  "along with photo identification."

Please don't get me wrong, I am not trying to argue, just going by what I have read and what my neighbour has told me, He is a truck driver and has been to the US and returned at least 8 times since December. I will ask him if any thing has changed.

How would a Canadian born and living here get a US passport?
US born parents that moved here as children.

Magicman

Absolutely each border crossing can be completely different depending upon the agent and his quirks.  That goes for the US agents as well as the Canadian.

Don't try to carry on any "bull".  Just answer what is asked and produce what is required.  Be friendly, but leave off the small talk.

Get caught trying to enter while concealing something and you will wind up inside of the dreaded  "yellow square" and watching the entire contents of your vehicle unloaded.  They do not put it back.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pigman

Quote from: Magicman on February 03, 2014, 10:27:02 PM

Get caught trying to enter while concealing something and you will wind up inside of the dreaded  "yellow square" and watching the entire contents of your vehicle unloaded.  They do not put it back.   :-\
How long did it take you to put all of your stuff back in the vehicle? ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

DonT

There are limits to the amount of money you can have in your possession as well.I believe it has to be under ten thousand.I am not sure about US citizens coming to Canada,but I know I am not allowed to have 10,000 with me when I cross.Found this out when I was across to Weedsport to buy a stump grinder.

Wellmud

My cousin went up on a fishing trip this past summer and gathered up some pine seedlings to plant in his yard, they were not very impressed with that either!
Woodmizer LT35 manual, Kubota L3130, Farmi 351, Stihl 029 super, 3 Logrite canthooks

DaleK

Quote from: Magicman on February 03, 2014, 10:27:02 PM
Absolutely each border crossing can be completely different depending upon the agent and his quirks.  That goes for the US agents as well as the Canadian.

Don't try to carry on any "bull".  Just answer what is asked and produce what is required.  Be friendly, but leave off the small talk.

Sometimes including parts of the car. Friend had a passenger make a joke about smuggling at the crossing. They kindly let them borrow some tools to put the seats back in the car and a bag for the upholstery.
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

Magicman

I didn't but I saw it being done.  What a mess.   :-\

The most smart-alec border agent that we have ever encountered was a US agent at Port Huron.   :-\

r.man

Apparently this is what you need to know. Not the one I was looking for but funny anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJUxTwnExx0
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Thank You Sponsors!