iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bandsaw blade selection

Started by Farmer Jim, July 16, 2014, 07:44:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farmer Jim

How do you decide which blade to use?  I ordered a 17" bandsaw and it comes with a 131 1/2"   1/2" 6-TPI hook blade. Other blades are available up to 1" wide, but I don't know how to choose the right one for the job. For resawing hardwoods which ones would you use?  For slabbing excess off a flintlock curly maple blank? etc...
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."  J.B.Books

Andy White

Farmer Jim,
Several blade mfgrs have charts for band selection online at their websites. Normally for resawing, I use as wide of a band that is available, and three TPI. hook for resaw. Olsen, or Timberwolf , would be a good place to look at charts.
Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

ND rancher

I'm in the same boat as FJ. I called Menominee saw and ordered several blades to try.I told them what I wanted to do and they gave me recommendations, haven't did anything yet, not till winter. If you find a good combo let me know.
TimberKing B-20.  Have been bitten by the bug! Loving life !

gfadvm

I have that same saw and it has been a great one. Timberwolf is a great resource for bandsaw blade information. Call and tell them what you want to do and they will recommend the best blade for your application. They have not given me any bad advice yet. And they did teach me that the widest blade is not always the best for resawing.

I am currently using their 3/4", bi-metallic, 2-3 TPI blade for resawing very hard Jatoba and so far so good!

Farmer Jim

I've been getting Timberwolf blades for my bandmill for 14 years, didn't know they had them for shop bandsaws. Definitely will be giving them a call. Thanks all, Jim
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."  J.B.Books

Clark

There are several very good books on bandsaws, how to set them up, blade selection and different methods for using your bandsaw. Mark Duginski has a DVD (possibly a book, too) and Lonnie Bird has a book. Either are worth their cost and time for most people, unless you can already slice off hardwood veneer with your bandsaw and not be frustrated by the process...

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Farmer Jim

Thanks Clark, I could stand to learn.

Thank You Sponsors!