iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pics around the shop today

Started by tule peak timber, August 05, 2014, 06:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tule peak timber

A finished Catalpa slab,crazy pretty-the photo doesn't do it justice in this light.

Ten of twenty seven tables/bartops under fabrication this month. When Russ (Mesquite Buckeye ) was here just a few days ago we had around twenty tables going.

More box beams

Another door, and more box beams.

Dimensioning siding for a 100 year old school house. We were asked to replicate this unique old growth redwood profile and it was a fun challenge !

Resawing old-growth redwood for the little red school house restoration project. Cheers Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

bedway

That's some pretty wood, and I like your shop.

goose63

goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Bill Gaiche

Great photos. You have a shop with some very serious equipment to do some fine work. bg

Jemclimber

I love to see the photos of your work and your shop. Very nice.
lt15

jueston

i get tool envy everytime i look at pictures of your shop.   :D :)

but those are some beautiful pieces your working on.

thanks for sharing the pics

giant splinter

Beautiful work Rob, Ok where do we sign up for a tour ?  ;D
roll with it

Daver

Wow it sure helps to have space and nice equipment.. I do similar in a two car garage with much less equipment..  Good for you!
"Remember, amateurs made the ark, professionals built the Titanic."

tule peak timber

Thanks guys for the comments ! Anyone from this site is always welcome here ! 8)

Larry

I think it interesting that you found a market for catalpa.  Two years ago I sawed well over 10 mbf and found near zero interest in the lumber/slabs.  Most went for landscaping timbers.

My experience is it's lots harder finding buyers than finding logs. :o :o  I need to re-focus my efforts.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

tule peak timber

Larry, Here it is just the opposite.I pay through the nose to get logs and have plenty of customers. We need to get together LOL  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D And by the way beautiful logs in your photo.  Rob

Larry

Yes, we need to get together. 

I got the catalpa because of a government road building project.  They paid a contractor landfill fees, and hauling charges to dispose of the logs.  He took a short cut to my landfill and being the nice guy, I didn't charge him a thing. :D :D

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

tule peak timber

That same scenario here goes something like this; Pay a person for the tip, pay the trucking people, and  pay the tree people AGAIN for the trees they collected pay to take down. How different !  Rob

5quarter

Catalpa is a weed tree here. I have some lumber, but not a whole lot.  lightweight but very handsome wood and seems to dry fairly easy. The interesting thing about that wood is that it shimmers kind of like satinwood. every board I have does that. I've sold some, but haven't built anything with it yet.
Rob...Always a real treat seeing what you're up to in your shop.
Larry...real nice logs you had. Around here, many are removed before they get any real size to them.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

drobertson

Nice shop Rob, I especially like what I believe is your spray booth?  very clever idea,  thanks for sharing,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

tule peak timber

The "spray booth"is also my primary work/fabrication table .I put foam insulation on the walls and have forced heated air blowing in to keep proper glue /finish temps. The main feature of the room is the torsion box table that is dead nuts flat and VERY stiff , 40 feet long. A great place to build doors or loft from CAD drawings. It is also like a "wind tunnel" and easy to blow out for cleanliness. The pic is of the table construction .Cheers  Rob

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

drobertson

"Dead nuts square"  not  heard this since I've left the machine shop,   I like it!   No doubt about it!  hard one to beat,  removes all doubt and the only way to fly.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

tule peak timber

Back in the 70's I worked with a certain German fellow that was grabbed at the end of WW II by the government due to his special talents. An extremely good machinist that taught me a lot to say the least.We were involved in some very interesting projects that required thinking "outside the box'. Stuff we cooked up still serves this country today, very well I might add .I've only been wood working for a little over 8 years but use the"outside of the box "approach as my MO. Cheers  Rob

mesquite buckeye

Very cool to see the tube in use with the catalpa. By the way, we did a hat inventory and none are missing. Perhaps one of your other visitors.  ;D

Also really neat to see the box in construction. How do you get it flat in the first place or is that TOP SECRET? ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

tule peak timber

Mesquite, I built the table upside down with one skin on and used a laser and a machinist rule to get it as flat  and straight as possible.I installed legs every eight feet with level adjusters, flipped the whole thing over using block and tackle and a tractor ,re-straightened, flattened and skinned the top. Reset the leg adjusters again with a laser and set the bolts with a drop of glue.Attached is a pic of one of the  torsion box elements in the 12 foot router table in the front of the shop.On this table I figured out some blocks that could be twisted one way or the other to  quickly line up the many ribs uniformly 

during fabrication. Really important to have all the parts uniform for flatness, and even after all this effort I used surface grinding to get the total surface within a few thousands.  Rob

hackberry jake

I have built a few torsion boxes and they are truley an engineering marvel that us woodworkers should probably use more often.
this table is all 3/8" thick sweet gum and the table itself can easily be moved by one person.

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

tule peak timber

Hackberry, Good pics ! I have lots of torsion box tables in the shop for things like off bearing, feeding etc.You are right...very useful !

mesquite buckeye

This is good stuff. I must learn more. :P 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :snowball: ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Thank You Sponsors!