iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cost-Effective Tree Removal and Utilization Strategies

Started by Stamp, July 02, 2007, 04:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stamp

The USDA Forest Service Northeastern Area has released a document titled
"Cost-Effective Tree Removal and Utilization Strategies to Address Invasive Species Attacks."  This was created through a collaboration of the Forest Service, the SE Michigan RC&D, and the Michigan DNR.  The document is available at:

http://semircd.org/ash/news/Cost%20Effective%20Tree%20Removal.pdf

Todd

I was on the panel that put together those reccomendations...I wish that the paper could have been more specific, but I think support from the top evaporated.  Basically, it concerned planning utilization before removals, and getting government and business together to work to reduce costs while providing opportunities to local industry.
Making somthing idiot-proof only leads to the creation of bigger idiots!

Daren

Quote from: Todd on August 02, 2007, 11:04:52 AM
but I think support from the top evaporated.  Basically, it concerned planning utilization before removals, and getting government and business together to work to reduce costs while providing opportunities to local industry.

You said a mouthful there brother, too bad more of it is not happening. Not to go on a mini rant here, but I hear everyday about "green cities" and how many 10,000's of trees they are going to plant...the whole while wasting the ones their Grandfathers planted, mostly because of lack of simple education. My city knows (after a few board meetings I attended etc.) they are coming out way away working with me...they have not bought a stick of lumber in 3 years. That part is too long explaining how we work together for the benefit of all.
I would love to see the day when 10% of the money spent planting trees was also spend utilizing urban timber (the money would be more than recouped, mostly it needs to be spent on education/promotion). I love trees, I plant them all the time. But for most "green" people there is a big disconnect between trees and a usable product, I have said this before, they think wood is made in the back of Menards/Lowes... by some elves or something. I plant trees all the time, but I also dig them out of the landfill/burnpile because once the "tree plantin' shovel" gets put back in the shed most forget about the big picture until next Arbor day.
I am just in for lunch, I have to get back to sawing urban logs. I have many thoughts on this (almost borderline kook) that I may expand on later.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Thank You Sponsors!