iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BT-6870 built by two old guys

Started by svart ole, April 22, 2016, 10:19:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gearbox

I think staying away from hard maple is the way to fix the problem .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

barbender

I've gotta catch up with ya' Bob, one of these days and see that beast in action ;)
Too many irons in the fire

Gearbox

Barbender I will let you know if I take it back out befor spring . I will start bucking and pile this week as the landing is full . I moved the Bobcat Friday and need to put the bucket back on to clean up the white stuff coming . 
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Gearbox

One more update . I did 10 cord of the Ash that was ugly Forks and crooks . Processer worked well temp was in the 30 s and the oil temp ran up to 130 . Came home and started adding another 16 gal of oil tank . will give me about 20 gal total. I am shooting for 130 to 140 in the summer running the engine at 3000 . We will see at least the oil will only change once a min.  .

Gearbox

WAHOO I just got my 272XP back from rebuild. The processer will be happy now the old 044 is getting tired and has many broken parts still makes a spare . With the added oil tank the temp is staying down . starting on 20 cord of mixed Red Oak and Maple next week . Just about done with my wood for 2018 .

GRANITEstateMP

Good to hear you got it running well Gearbox!  Do you stack all your wood for next year or pile it for now and stack it later?  I try to stack mine as soon as I run it off the processor, it doesn't always happen!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Gearbox

I process wood for other people so I just run it in a conveyer pile . I push the conveyer side to side with the Bobcat so my stacker pile ends up about as long as the log pile . The 272 XP melted down after 2 cuts . Thinking there must be a air leak in the carb itself . It vacuumed and pressured tested good . 2 melt downs in less than 1 tank of gas .

barbender

That really stinks! It must be a bad air leak for it to burn down that fast.

Gearbox

Taking it to Detloff this time .

newoodguy78

Big time bummer sorry to hear that.

Gearbox

Well the 272xp went to saw parts pile . My mechanic had a used 475 polan Yellow saw . 84 cc of pure grunt 18 inch Elm in 6 seconds . The BT6870 and Bob are happy campers now . OOOps I was mistaken it is only 75 cc.

barbender

I was thinking, one of those old big cube beasts would work good for that. Some of the big old saws you wouldn't want to run like a normal saw anymore, but mounted on the BT6870 they are restored to glory ;) I have an old friend that borrowed me an old beast of a Stihl once, I think it was an 084? I just remember it was huge, with no chain brake and a manual oiler. That thing would work great on a processor!

Gearbox

If any one builds a chainsaw mounted processer. I found out that if I ran just a small amount of wood without a mask on I would wake up in the night coughing . Went to a North mask with dust filters all is good now . I go through a tank of gas & oil in the saw per cord . That's a lot of saw dust and oil spray . JUST PROTECT YOUR LUNGS YOU ONLY HAVE 2.

barbender

I find the same thing with the sawmill, Bob.

hedgerow

Gearbox
A good reminder. I don't think it would be a bad thing to were a mask running a processor with a hyd motor operated saw. Seems like no matter how you position the processor the wind will give you a face full of oil saw dust.  Don't forget the ear protection.

Gearbox

Repowered the processer today with a Predator 13 HP . The old Briggs was getting tired and couldn't pull to 2500 psi . I put a 12 in block in cross ways and it held right at 2500 . Ready start cutting for next years wood .

hedgerow

Gearbox
You will like that 13HP  motor I have one on a cord wood saw and it has a lot of hours on it and zero problems. I run 20/50 Mobil one in it.

Gearbox

I am running 5w 30 in it for 1 tank of fuel then I will switch to Mobil 1  0 w 30 . I run that in all my small engines .

hedgerow

Gearbox
I have had good luck using Mobil one in air cooled small engines. Have a Kohler 25 with a couple thousand hours on it and in 70 hour oil changes it never takes any oil. Have a 25 year old 16 Briggs twin  that I should have put a hour meter on it but didn't probably gets 200 hours a year on it and all I used in it is Mobil one change it twice a year and it doesn't use enough oil to add any between changes.

coxy

Quote from: Gearbox on October 24, 2017, 07:51:32 PM
Repowered the processer today with a Predator 13 HP . The old Briggs was getting tired and couldn't pull to 2500 psi . I put a 12 in block in cross ways and it held right at 2500 . Ready start cutting for next years wood .
one thing ill tell you about your motor is take that vent tube that comes out of the gas tank and goes to the back of the carb other wise when the tank vents in the sun it will fill the crank case up with gas and hydro lock it i got one on my walk behind concrete saw and could not figure out how the gas getting in the oil after 3 oil changes in one day   i was sitting there and heard a gurgling noise and found it took the line off the top of the tank and that little vent shot gas a foot or so out of it so mine has been on hooked for about 6 years now

Gearbox

Just another bump for 2019 firewood season . With a machine that's built like this there are always things to change . I will be bringing it home during Deer season to change to a auto cycle valve . The linkage works but limits the stroke . Will need to start on a new splitter so I can change it out during breakup . The beam and wedge are just not strong enough. I have twisted the 1 inch by 6 inch main wedge . Right now by myself I am putting 2 cord on my dump trailer in just over 2 hours . that includes carrying the wood from the pile and loading the deck 4 times . 

hedgerow

Gearbox
 I assume when your talk autocycle your talking about the prince valve. I have owned two and probably wouldn't own another. The first one was a early model and they replaced it twice on the company because it wouldn't ever work right. The third one worked ok but took some adjusting on and off. A buddy bought that splitter and he didn't like messing with it so I took it off and he sold it. The one I currently have is on my processor and you have to adjust the pressure on and off. Right now it works good when you first start out and as the oil warms seems like the o'rings swell and it won't kick out when it extends. So I adjust the pressure a little and it will work again.Next time I start out I have to adjust it again. I do run a cooler on the processor to keep the oil temp in check as I run it a lot in the heat of the summer. I think this winter I will buy a o'ring kit and put that in and see if it will help. Just food for thought before you spend your money. 

Gearbox

It's on the shelf already . I hope it works . I have been told by other MFG to mount it vertical . That's what I am going to try .

hedgerow

Gearbox
I hope yours works better than mine does. I not for sure why they think vertical mounting the valve would make it work better. When winter sets in and it gets a little slower around here I may have to call them and see if they think vertical mounting and a new o'ring kit in mind would make it work better.The idea of auto cycle is great when it works but if you always have to be adjusting on the valve that doesn't work so well. Its a real pain when my helper is trying to run it and I am on the skid loader and he doesn't know what to do when it starts acting up. He doesn't want to start adjusting it. 

Gearbox

I know a guy that runs a Wolf Ridge splitter and has 1800 cord through it . Has had no problems with it . Chris from Wolf Ridge will be my first call if I have a problem .

Thank You Sponsors!