Trying my hand at a Wood ID--SOLVED

Started by Mesquite Man, November 19, 2002, 08:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesquite Man

"Mesquite Man"
Curtis O. Seebeck
TimberKing 1220

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

north_bugtussel

Life is full of changes..the secret to life...is to out-live the situation at hand. VB

Tom

Hard to tell what kind of wood but it looks more like a crotch than a burl.  Might be squirrelly wood from a scar too but I'm favoring a crotch.

The Sapwood is real light and is a bit yellow.  I've seen camphor do that around here.

It's definitely a hard wood and the heartwood looks more like a hickory or pecan.

The damage leads me to believe that it was a yard tree or fence row tree.

I'll guess Hickory but will be back with Red Bud or Willow later.

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Noble_Ma

Mesquite Man

And the winner is..........Don Staples!  This is a portion of a mesquite root I recently cut up.  Now Don, did you really know or did you look at the properties of the photo to see the file name??!!

Sitruc
"Mesquite Man"
Curtis O. Seebeck
TimberKing 1220

Tom

Don wouldn't do anything underhanded like that :D :-/ :-/

DanG

Nope, I'm sure he wouldn't. ::)  I'd never stoop to such a thing, either, but I'll probably start looking at the "properties" on all the pics, from now on. ;D

Oh, by the way, I was gonna say it was the crotch of a grafted pecan tree, but the damnphone rang and prevented me from showing my ignorance. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

Mesquite Man

Unfortunately the computer does not do it justice.  Mesquite, this piece in particular, is MUCH prettier than pecan.  Not even close.  That would be like comparing a nice bandmill with one of them thar circular thingymajigs!

Sitruc

"Mesquite Man"
Curtis O. Seebeck
TimberKing 1220

DanG

Yeah, I know whatcha mean, Curt. Them nice little bandmills just pale in comparison to a good ol' circle mill. :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jeff

Some of us already thought about that properties cheat. ;D Take a look at some of our past photo I.D. file names and you will see that most do you no good.

id3_tofool_danG.jpg   ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Texas Ranger

No, didn't look at properties of the photos, but will from now on, as will most of us :o

All that aside, I burn enough mesquite in a year to stock a good bar-b-que, and have used it to make knife handles, and assortment of other stuff.  for those of you interested in the stuff, beautiful grain, hard as the hubs of hell, and a pain to harvest.  Thorns, ya know.

Don't pull a picture of misquite on a board with another Texan, we do love that bar-b-que. ;D
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Thank You Sponsors!