iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Removing the lipstick from the pig

Started by Ruffneck, May 07, 2015, 11:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruffneck

I finally removed the skim-coat on the retaining wall of my old house.
I had the engineer out to look at the wall and column before I made the purchase, but if you really want to know the extent of the ugly, you need to remove the lipstick first: https://youtu.be/Lc_ilccX5I4

After my findings I made the decision to take a big leap and bring in the team from Pace Engineering:

They have been out for one site visit so far. The biggest concern for them is the concrete column and header in the one garage:

The extent of the problem is pretty apparent after exposing it. The engineers didn't seem to be as concerned about the retaining wall as I was. They say if they could see some movement in it, then it would be concerning.

After their visit, they recommended a "suspender and belt" approach to the column issue. :D
I put a couple of strong-backs over it and tied it back to the wall with some ratchet straps.

I have a temporary shoring plan from the engineers, they are calling for a 6x12 header beam with two 6x6 posts connected by Simpson brackets. Seems a little overkill to me for supporting an 8 inch slab, but if you ask an engineer a question, they're going to give you an engineers' answer.

The reason there has been so much deterioration at these locations is the water drainage. It has been going on since the house was built. They will be designing a drainage plan too.

Old houses sure are full of surprises.  ;D

Holmes

And to think you have only just begun.. :)
Think like a farmer.

thecfarm

That is quite the wall. Good luck to ya.  :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ianab

PNW is an earthquake zone isn't it?

Hence things get over-engineered. Dodgy concrete walls + shaking = things (and people) getting squashed.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

zopi

looks like a good place for some gravel pit/French drains...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Magicman

Looks like you were at a point that you had to either fix it or loose it.  The video makes me tired.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

I thought here in WV was the only place people built on hillsides like that.

Good luck on your project.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Howdy

Great video, gives the rest of the world a view of the quality of work and the speed that folks here in Oregon work every day!

Ruffneck

An update on the wall project. They drew up the temporary shoring plan in pretty short order. The plan calls for a 6x12 header with two 6x6 posts attached with the right Simpson brackets. If I were to build shoring at work, a 6x6 header would be sufficient  :-\ I get it though, it is their name on it  :)

Went to pick up the material I had on special order at the local Home Depot yesterday morning. They had had everything but the Simpson brackets ::) Somehow they're missing, they'll order them again, could take up to seven days. So much for being able to con my brother into helping out real quick, at least I didn't have to transport the timbers in my Honda ;D

They have a number 2 stamped on them, but I think to myself, they must be joking. Not a #2 or better in my book. Pith running the length on a corner, big old knot on another. Guess I'll change my grading rules from here on out... ;D 

beenthere

Your 6x6 with no big knots and their spec for a 6x12 #2 with big knot and a pith may equal out. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ruffneck

I should have refused the whole deal. They are all stamped #2... It will be field verified. I'll take some pics and post them. I'd hate to go to the work and have the engineers reuse my work.... I should make my own timbers...
:laugh:

Ruffneck

Here are some pictures of the timbers and temporary shoring plan:

This is the 6x12 beam:

Here are some pics of the 6x6 posts:

If that's what goes for number 2, I have been over-thinking the milling of my Ponderosa Pine.
I was sure hoping to be progressing a bit faster on this project. Home Depot couldn't find the Simpson brackets and I'm still waiting for their reorder to come in. The engineers are still working on their plans. They should have something for me soon they said... :)

beenthere

No. 2 is not an "appearance" grade, but is a structural grade, and am sure you can count on it to do the job you have. Put the most knots on the upper side of the beam. The strength of this No. 2 is already taken into consideration and the consultant doing the calculations figures that No. 2 will work.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Brucer

Grading rules for a 12" wide, No. 2 Structural Beams allow "well spaced" knots up to 6-7/8" diameter (rule 130 c). "Well spaced" means that in any 6" length, the sum of all the knot diameters cannot exceed twice the maximum diameter; also, there cannot be more than one knot of maximum diameter in any 6" length (rule 718 v).

Grading rules for a 6 x 6 No. 2 Structural Posts allow "well spaced" knots up to 3" in diameter (rule 131 c).

There are specific rules about how you measure the knots -- for beams you draw imaginary lines on either side of the knot that are parallel to the edges, then measure the distance between the lines. Basically you're measuring the width of the fibres that are interrupted by the knot.

The rules allow quite a bit of wane (1/3 the width of any face for a #2). The other big issues with structural members are shake (which you don't have) and slope of grain (which I can't tell without seeing the timber in person).

The rules say nothing about the pith, which has always mystified me. Not that I'm complaining -- I either box the heart or saw it out completely, and that impresses my customers.

If the pictures you posted show the biggest knots, then it looks like it all meets the grade.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

greenforestyy

wait i dont see a vid anywere maybe im to slow ahh or i skipped it.. I see pictures though !

Ruffneck

Quote from: greenforestyy on May 22, 2015, 04:26:37 PM
wait i dont see a vid anywere maybe im to slow ahh or i skipped it.. I see pictures though !
:
https://youtu.be/Lc_ilccX5I4?list=PL4041w-KMR6I1L47So6vi-q3bHiMAtYnD

It's a long story with many twists and turns. This is from 9/28/2015. I will give a full report at the completion of this phase :)

beenthere

Ruffneck
You sure can stick to a tough project. Kudo's to you for the progress you have made so far.
Substantial improvement under difficult circumstances. smiley_thumbsup
south central Wisconsin

Magicman

Congrats on your well earned progress.  I still say that you make me tired.   smiley_sweat_drop  smiley_whip
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ruffneck

Magicman

Looking good.  I only know that you have long range plans and that you know what you are doing.   8)

Sixacresand

That makes my back hurt, watching that.   Glad you are able to do it. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Ruffneck

October 9,2015
Water is back on, I used 25 feet of PEX.

Moving along:

Ruffneck

Ruffneck

I participated in "The Great Shakeout of '15" today...
Did you and your family?

Magicman

No shakeout here, but hopefully if you ever get a shake, you will have the lipstick removed and the "pig" ready.   ;D

Thank You Sponsors!