iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Changing centers on skidder rims ?

Started by BargeMonkey, March 22, 2018, 09:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BargeMonkey

I've been hunting down 1-2 spare wheels for my 460, got offered 4 for less than I can have 1 new one made and shipped. problem is the bolt pattern is diff, these are 24s, mine are 20s, has anyone ever had the centers changed ? is it worth the aggravation ? 

mike_belben

Its pretty easy, done it on plenty of rockcrawlers.    Just drag the torch around the inside so the head rides the wall and cuts consistent.. Leave a half inch or so lip for seating the next center up against and welderup.  

Stazworks cuts out a lot of custom centers if you cant find anyone.
Praise The Lord

BargeMonkey

For some odd reason this last week I've had 3 diff rim issues. 👎 Price a new rim thru Deere for a 644H-K loader, grab your ankles and hang on 😂 This dealer told me it's not bad to have the centers changed but I've never done it, I guess it's pretty common, I'm tempted to patch my bad tire with belting / bolts like Mainelogger did and have 2 spares for the front. I've asked all over and for some reason the 20 bolt TJ wheels in 24.5 just aren't that common, a guy has 4 mounted in WI but I only found out after I ordered 2 tires. 👎 

jason.weir

Quote from: BargeMonkey on March 22, 2018, 10:21:32 PM, I'm tempted to patch my bad tire with belting / bolts like Mainelogger did and have 2 spares for the front.

Is anyone doing section repairs of skidder tires?  Any idea of cost?

Big Tractor Tire Repair - YouTube

Seems like it might be a decent business to be in - if the price is reasonable enough, there are tons of skidder tires out there that could use a repair like this..

BargeMonkey

My tire guy looked at it and said it was marginal, it does have a wicked gash, putting it on the front she would live alot longer, I know Nash in NH will fix them, I'm willing to try some screener belting / carriage bolts and hope for the best, the problem is the tubes aren't cheap for a 24.5 

starmac

I do not know how the sectioned tires hold up now, but we didn't have any luck with scraper tires that we had sectioned, but that was 30 years ago too.

We had new centers put in all our farm tractor wheels that had a loader on them, we would break the originals out pretty quick.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

tacks Y

Before welding ask or look around. I watched something about welding wheels with tires on, BAD NEWS. I would remove tires and go for it, and I have.

snowstorm

they blow up. i know of one that died welding on a truck wheel

starmac

Well you would have to be brain dead to weld it with an inflated tire on it. 

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Crusarius

Quote from: BargeMonkey on March 22, 2018, 10:21:32 PM
For some odd reason this last week I've had 3 diff rim issues. 👎 Price a new rim thru Deere for a 644H-K loader, grab your ankles and hang on 😂 This dealer told me it's not bad to have the centers changed but I've never done it, I guess it's pretty common, I'm tempted to patch my bad tire with belting / bolts like Mainelogger did and have 2 spares for the front. I've asked all over and for some reason the 20 bolt TJ wheels in 24.5 just aren't that common, a guy has 4 mounted in WI but I only found out after I ordered 2 tires. 👎

You can do it very easily. just make sure the tires are not on the rims.

I REPEAT! MAKE SURE THE TIRES ARE NOT ON THE RIMS!!!!!

Welding on a rim that has a mounted tire will cause it to over inflate and explode. Check youtube for michelin videos showing the consequences. its kinda kool but very scary.

coxy

Quote from: starmac on March 23, 2018, 07:49:43 AM
come on your saying I'm brain dead   :-\ :-\ ;D

starmac

Well if you go around welding on wheels with inflated tires on them, there is a very good chance you will wind up all dead. lol

coxy

i have welded a few valve stem protectors back  on with no issue so far but you more than likely just jinxes me ;D 

starmac

A quick weld can not heat the air enough to blow. The bigger the tire the longer you have too before it expands the air.
They will blow quicker if there is some moisture in them too.

mike_belben

Well duh, everyone knows its not the heat, but the humidity that kills ya. 

;)
Praise The Lord

bushmechanic

Barge it's no trouble to weld centers in a slow moving piece of equipment, don't think I would do it on a highway machine :D I know a crowd that made some flotation rims once out of a bunch of old 23.1-26 rims for a C5 Tree farmer, worked out perfect.

TKehl

Quote from: starmac on March 23, 2018, 07:49:43 AM
I agree.  I've also seen dumber things...  My dad worked on big tires (construction & farm) for years and still trains new guys at his shop.  Part of the training is what not to do and consequences.  The one he told me that sticks in my mind is about a guy that left a block of wood in a scraper tire.  It rolled around and around, generating heat from friction.  Eventually it blew crushing the cab and the operator...  Simple and stupid mistake, but try telling that to his widow.   :(

Just saying it's worth pointing out on a thread like this as who knows who might read it.

As for new hubs, we've only done it once and it was on a hay trailer that came with 8 lug 3/4 ton tires.  Averaged about a flat a day the first several days on our gravel roads, every one ruined, and ran the town out of 16" used tires.  Plan be was to have the local fab shop weld a plate in open center semi wheels.  Not a flat since in 18 years.  Happy happy happy!   ;D

Really just an economic question.  Since you aren't swapping centers, is the price of steel + labor + used wheel still less then a new wheel?  If so, rock on and do it.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

coxy

i wasn't trying to be a smart ash (well maybe a little) but i know what your saying i wouldn't do it to a long weld like putting centers back in a rim with the air still in it or on a crack in the rim i had to do what i had to do at the time would i do it again NO  i have more money now and also have kids i was  just poor at the time and 200$ was a lot of money at the time and 3 days with out working wasn't in the drinking budget   :o if you know what mean ;D 

Thank You Sponsors!