iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Router sled

Started by xlogger, September 04, 2016, 07:46:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

I'm not much of a woodworker but was thinking about building a router sled. I'm cutting more live edge slabs and some mostly maples are cupping, they are getting over looked when people are looking. Because most do not have a way of flattening them. My planer is only 20" and most are over 20.
Anyone got a Woodhaven planning sled? I looked at them online and they look good to me.
I try not to get into the woodworking part of the sales but I'm getting several slabs that are stacking up.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Kbeitz

I bought all the rollers and stuff ready to build one for my mill.
I got this coming.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

ESFted

I bought the Woodhaven but never used it, not because it's not a quality system, but because I wanted something that would work on a larger scale.  It's still on a shelf in the shop. I built this instead:
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,80966.msg1232193.html#msg1232193

Lots of options to build sleds using wood rails.  Here's another one I studied.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtkBZHLJyD0
S.U.N.Y. College of Environmental Science and Forestry '65
Stihl MS661CRM, Stihl MS460,  Stihl MSE 220, Solo 64S, Granberg Alaskan MK-IV CSM
Dreams of a Wm LT70 w/all the accessories

Larry

ESFted, I missed your router sled thread the first time.  Cool build. 8)

Quote from: xlogger on September 04, 2016, 07:46:03 AM
Because most do not have a way of flattening them. My planer is only 20" and most are over 20.

I ran into that problem also.  I met a guy that runs a large cnc router full time.  He flattens large slabs for woodworkers and gave me some of his business cards to pass out when I saw a slab for a customer.  Besides flattening the slab he can also joint the edge and cut slots for counter top connector bolts typically used for mitered corners.  Those bolts really simplify glue-ups when working with live edges.  You might check to see if anybody is doing the same in your area.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

OffGrid973

I bought a huge router bit at woodcraft and still have the actual sled on the to-do list.  Start posting some in progress pics and that should kick me into gear to create mine.  I have two walnut pieces I left open after a fresh cut and they started to warp a little, need to get those bottoms flat again.

What is your budget for the project I am trying to keep it below $50
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Thank You Sponsors!