iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

looking into firewood business

Started by xalexjx, March 24, 2014, 04:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberlinetree

Congregations on the wood biz! We have had our built rite for some 15 yrs and is still pumping out the wood :). Best of luck!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

North River Energy

Thanks, xalexj.
So of the 10 cord per day, do you find that you generally come out with a general ratio of sawlogs/veneer to firewood? (obviously that will vary based on site etc, but...)
Also, what do you figure your time is worth in the daily expense breakdown ( not specific, just approximate).
And, have you reached a solid number for hourly production on the Built-Rite?
(Starting with full live deck, ending in the stockpile).

xalexjx

Quote from: North River Energy on May 25, 2014, 09:08:45 AM
Thanks, xalexj.
So of the 10 cord per day, do you find that you generally come out with a general ratio of sawlogs/veneer to firewood? (obviously that will vary based on site etc, but...)
Also, what do you figure your time is worth in the daily expense breakdown ( not specific, just approximate).
And, have you reached a solid number for hourly production on the Built-Rite?
(Starting with full live deck, ending in the stockpile).

The lot I'm cutting now iv seen little to no saw logs or veneer, real poor qaulity stuff. Good for firewood or pulp and thats about it. I can run the skidder and hire a contract cutter for less then $450 a day. So for 10 cords minus the stumpage I end up with about 350 or so in my pocket. As for the built-rite production it is almost 100% dependent on the wood but on average the stuff im running across it I can do 4 face cord an hour bymyself very easy. With a helper to load logs and nice wood I can do that in 30-40 mins. So far so good, more wood sold then I can keep up with, working some little bugs out in the processor with small hyd leaks but nothing major. Son about 100 face cord so far and have more then that already sold
Logging and Processed Firewood

CRThomas

Quote from: Busy Beaver Lumber on March 26, 2014, 06:56:36 PM
I run a bundled firewood business in Indiana. We also sell cords of firewood in the winter as well. I try my best to let others do the back breaking work of cutting and splitting the logs, however they elect do it. I have found if you shop around you can find others that will wholesale you wood for darn close to what it would cost you to process it yourself in terms of equipment, fuel, labor...etc, sometimes even cheaper.
You are right there I get some great deals in the summer time some of the guys need a case of beer or carton of cigs.

CRThomas

Quote from: glassman_48 on May 15, 2014, 05:43:20 PM
xalexjx,
I stacked 3 face cords of 16" firewood then conveyed it into my 12' dump trailer and took a picture of it.  I only sell my wood by the trailer load.  I tell customers its approximately 3 face cords give or take.  I also am able to sort through some of the punkier wood and throw it aside in a pile.  Once customers see that I try to sort some of the lesser firewood then no one seems to have a problem with my system.  I never ever handle firewood except loading it on the log deck.  I also bag firewood into mesh bags on a pallet and have been able to sell those in the late winter/early spring when people run out of wood and also sell the pallets to summertime people that have cottages/camping etc.  I can load a mesh bag onto their truck or trailer, or they can load into their vehicle.  I purchased a few of the mesh bags at the escanaba logging show a few years ago, and made a 42" by 48" frame to set on the pallet out of an old dog pen.  Once I saw the amount of bagged wood I could do I got a regular frame and more bags.  Just another wood option for customers.
I been using Dino bags but they cost so I have to keep them.

xalexjx

firewood business is going good, almost to busy to do as a side business with cutting my own wood plus another full time job. Just over 100 full cords so far and the end is no wheres in site. My goal was to sell 200 face cords this year but im way past that now. Been buying 16' logs now. Just not enough time in the day, need to put someone to work for me full time.  dadgum you, Charlie! Been using the dump trailer behind my pick-up which works good but a 550 with dump bed would be much easier and make it a two person process to keep the processor going while I deliver.
Logging and Processed Firewood

glassman_48

xalex,
Glad to hear your so busy, I am in the same boat, I have my full time glass business so when we have a "slow day" there I run to my log site and process wood and deliver it in my dump trailer.  I am guessing at the end of the day between your age and my age you still have a lil git up and go left while my mine got up and went somewhere and I cant seem to find it ;D

Leigh Family Farm

xalexjx,
before hiring a full time person, what about getting some part time help just to see if you actually need the full time help? Sometimes I have found that a few hours of help a couple of times a week is all that is needed to get back to a desired level. It will save you the headache of full-time employee issues (taxes, insurance, etc.) and get you the extra help you need.
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Thank You Sponsors!