iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

forestry technician job advice

Started by jlc123, September 18, 2014, 01:54:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SliverPicker

Piece of pie!  Way to stick it out!!!!
Yooper by trade.

ST Ranch

Good to hear that it is working out. And yes, never leave home without a paper map and your trusty compass. I hope the weather changes for you soon as working in the Okanagan in the fall is beautiful, once the Larch start to turn color.
Tom
LT40G28 with mods,  Komatsu D37E crawler,
873 Bobcat with CWS log grapple,

jlc123

well hello everyone! I havent posted in a while, so thought I would give an update. The job has been pretty good and I am enjoying most days. The winter season is fast approaching, we were in about 6" of snow today... was not prepared for that at all... so much snow down the back of my neck... yuck...

Anyways, a few weeks ago I had asked to stay on for the winter season, but hadnt heard anything back on it. Today I was told I will probably get to stay on for winter, if they get a certain contract... This contractor is super picky so my bosses only put the most efficient people on those blocks... It was a huge confidence booster to hear that I am being considered for this. I have heard from other workers that they only put the best workers on that contract  8)  it was a really good feeling being recognized for my work and I am glad they can see how hard I am trying to learn everything.

Im not sure if I want to stick out the winter though, I will grab some better gear tomorrow and see how the rest of the week goes. An indoor labor job might be nice for the cold months, but I will definitely be back for the spring. No bear sightings, only rabbits and squirrels... I did hear elk calls one day though... cool beans!

jlc123

oh and no problems with the knees... the shoulders sometimes bother me from the vest, but that is just small strap adjustments that need to be made.

coxy

good to here your still working  8) 8)

jlc123

Hello everyone! Yesterday was my last day! Really ended the season with a bang... spent the day in 2 ft of snow, without snowshoes... oh that was fun... not! We had to plow our own way 5km up a random road using chains. We got back to the truck at 3ish, and the battery was dead. Local loggers in the area couldnt get to us, as they didnt have chains. We lit a fire just as it was getting dark at 330, and kept busy chopping wood with our little hatchets and having some quality bonding time... 5 hours later, we were rescued by sled and taken home! 15.5 hr work day... that's enough for me.

I had an assessment today, I was told they really enjoyed having me and they like my eagerness to learn and are impressed that I am able to see the bigger picture of why I am doing what I am doing... like why road notes are so important. They also said I will be one of the first people called back in the spring. (sorry for the bragging... but my mom has been without power since last night, so I havent got to brag to anyone yet).

I am now looking for winter work, but am excited to go back in the spring.

beenthere

smiley_thumbsup

Thanks for the report. Now bet you could write a book of stories.  Keep 'em coming. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ST Ranch

Glad to hear it all worked out and you had a good season - Winter and snow is a bit more challenging to work in - maybe you should head south to the sun for the winter , rest up and go full guns in the spring.
Tom
LT40G28 with mods,  Komatsu D37E crawler,
873 Bobcat with CWS log grapple,

Thank You Sponsors!