iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A DIY curved counter top

Started by papow22, April 13, 2014, 02:18:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

papow22

::) I know I goofed when I lost my p.c.,then went to a mac (Apple),mine a better lap top by far.But my p.c. had the pans for wooden curvy wooden counter top.I've looked and looked for those plans with no avail.I guess I'm going to have build it myself the best way i know how.
                                                                         :P thing is I was wondering if anyone know of or seen such a beautiful wooden counter top,like a horse shoe end to a  "s" bend twice.The guy made using a whole bunch of clamps and a mould to hold the shape.after he was done he used for a bar counter top.Also he stained and it looked really awesome.From where I saw it well that's another story.Maybe someone knows it or seen it .P.S. if I ever find it I'll show it here .
Lives to do sawdust,run a trapline,hunt big game,live life to it's most.Got 4 mills a circle mill,(2 band sawmills) Norwood's 2000, Trim Saw,Beam Machine (chainsaw mill).

papow22

:D Other half told not counter top it is called a curved island.
Lives to do sawdust,run a trapline,hunt big game,live life to it's most.Got 4 mills a circle mill,(2 band sawmills) Norwood's 2000, Trim Saw,Beam Machine (chainsaw mill).

Don_Papenburg

He may have glued up strips of wood . They have to be taller than they are wide. You need more than seven laminations to overcome springback. Use a good glue like Unibond 800 or West Systems epoxy. A lot of clamps are essential but a vacuum bag system would be Ideal.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Brucer

A customer once paid me to saw some large 16' logs into edge-grain 4x12's. Then he had me stand them up on the mill and them down into 5/16" x 4" :o.

He wanted me to keep them in the order I sawed them. They were far to flexible to be handling so I just left the boards on the cant and sawed my way down. Then I strapped them together -- one strap on each end and one in the middle.

I used the FEL to lift them off the mill and they sagged into a C shape. They still showed the original grain pattern -- just skewed a little.

The customer was planning to plane them down to 3/16" and then clamp and glue them into a curved handrail. It would have been about 5" wide (compared to the original 12" I started with).

Heat will help bend wood.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!