iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2000 Fabtek counting computer locking up

Started by jdament, December 21, 2013, 06:57:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdament

I'm hoping Fabtek sees this and can help me.  On my 2000 Fabtek harvestor with 4 roller head the counting computer will lock up.  The screen locks up with what ever numbers it was on and it won't stop at 102 inches.  All other functions on the head works.  If you cycle power to the computer it works again for a couple trees then does it again.  I'm thinking I have a bad wire for the 5 volt reference and it is shorting out and the computer locks up.  But does anyone else have any ideas or am I barking up the wrong tree.

Gary_C

I think you are on the right track. My Ponsse head has done similiar things when a wire to the sensors gets broken or shorted.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

jdament

I figured that I would still end up searching for a bad wire.  I guess I should'nt complain,so far it does'nt look like a computer.  Thanks for the info.

Southside

Do you know how to reach Fabtek on here?  Mine will count the log length by the rollers - don't have the independent counting wheel - but will not stop at the presets, and I am lost on what to do.  Thanks
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

jdament

I am not sure how to get a hold of him.  But make sure your delimb override is not on.  Also make sure that if you have the option for a independent wheel that it is not on that.  When you see the numbers count up do they count up in two spots on the screen?  I'm pretty sure I got mine fixed.I replaced a bunch of wire and still no go.  Finally put in the two memory chips in the computer and it worked good for 8 hours.  So hopfull it will behave now.

Southside

My machine came without a button for the de limb override or the independent measure wheel, I suspect that may be part of the issue.  The numbers only count up in one spot on the screen, do yours count up in two places?  If so do you have the independent wheel?  I would like to install that and the diameter measurement.  Is CAT the Fabtek contact now?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

jdament

Mine counts for the wheels on the bottom left and it also counts in the the top left and those are the ones it will stop at when it reaches its preset.  On mine if that one doesn't count it won't stop.  I know Cat bought out Fabtek and I would assume they would help with the conversion ones also.  I have an all Fabtek machine a FT153.  I do know one thing the independent wheel parts are expensive.

JLeBouton

I would definitely check out the wires, and the encoders themselves. The joysticks have been known to cause some shorting issues. Wiring issue it the most likely cause. 

Cat bought out Blount, who bought FABTEK, so they are providing the dealer support for FABTEK machines, but if you have any kind of relationship with your local Deere guys, they spent considerably more time servicing the machines. If there is a NORTRAX dealer in your area, it might be worth your time to give them a call and pick their minds.

Thank You Sponsors!