iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

shingle vs shake :definition?

Started by james, April 15, 2009, 09:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

james

dad always said shingles were sawn and shakes were split (with a froe) what do you guys define the difference as ?
james

Tom

Shingles are also called Shakes.   There are sawn shingles and riven (split) shingles  Depending on which wood is used, riven shingles can be flat or quarter grained.  Most softwood shingles are flat grained.

Shake is another term for split.  When shake occurs in a log, naturally, it means that the bond between the early wood and late wood has separated.  That's the circular looking split that you see from the end of a log that has "ring shake".

The natural radial crack that occurs in a log is called a check.  The crack in the center of a log, through the pith is called the heart check.  But, the term "Check" doesn't relate to shingles.

You will sound to be the expert if you refer to Sawn or Riven shingles.  :)

Reddog

James,
That would make some sense to me.
Here in the mid west, a shake is 3/4 to 1" thick at the thick end, tapering down to about 1/4 to 3/8" at the thin end.
Where as a shingle is 3/8" on the thick end tapering to paper thin on the thin end.
So if you where splitting the shakes out with a froe, you would use a thickness that would not break. Then they would use a draw knife to put some taper in them.

james

actually dad always flipped the bolt end for end with each shake when he split them that is what gave the taper
james

Meadows Miller

Gday

Timber will split and saw in the line of least resistance which is why you flip bolts to even out the taper as your splitting   ;) and put lead on circular carriages also as the saw will lead out  as you are working in the round outside off the log  ;)
also we just call em shingles eg Split shingles or Sawn shingles down here but not to many blokes split and sell them maby 3 ppl and there are a couple off sawmills that sell sawn shingles also  ;) there have been afew attempts in the pas to import Red ceader shigles into australia with not much luck as it will only last 10 to 20 years max in our climate then its rooted and needs to be replaced   :o :) ::) Aussie Hardwood wil last from 60 to 100 years w/o any sealants  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)

Ive split some in the past myself out of Stringybark and was thinking off using it on my home but i reckon thea Corri is alot cheapr and quicker  ;) ;D 8) 8)

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Dodgy Loner

Around here, the term shingle refers to a roofing board that is sawn and tapered.  A shake is any roofing board that is riven, regardless of whether or not it has taper.  Most of the shakes on old buildings around here are not tapered, because folks didn't have the time to do it.  The trick where you flip the bolt each time you split off a shake to make it tapered only works on softwoods, as far as I know.  Oak is the preferred wood for shakes in the southern Appalachians.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

karl

shingles are sawn, shakes are riven 'round here.
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

Thank You Sponsors!