iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood Doctor out of buisness?

Started by boilerman101, February 04, 2012, 08:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boilerman101

I read this on another forum and went to the Wood Doctor Site myself: http://www.wooddoctorfurnace.com/ and instead of information on their furnaces, there is an explanation from the President of the company.  Seems they had another company building their furnaces for them and there is no support under the firebox. The firebox is only held in place by the chimney extruding through the water jacket and by the door frame. Seems it is causing a high stress/corrosion failure rate and no one wants to or can afford to step up to the warranty plate...ouch! The way I read it, Wood Doctor is out of business. This defect and warranty situation does not sound good for owners!

shelbycharger400

kinda sounds like a typical 3rd party move, they build it, take the check..  something happens, they say...im not responsible, its not my name on the tag.

i thought all boilers, had to be boiler certified?

John Mc

The pressure vessel needs an ASTM certification stamp if it is a pressurized system. (Lots of OWB manufacturers just make unpressurized systems to avoid this.)

Not sure what the requirements are for the rest of the equipment (combustion chamber, etc), or for unpressurized boilers
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

brokentoe

That really is too bad for the customers left hung out to dry.  Glad I bought from an established company from the good ol' USA!

mrwood

I agree. This is not good for the customers. I had many options in my area for OWB's. But in the end one of the things that led me to CB was how long they had been around, and how repuable they were. Sure they can have problems just like any other manufacture but I wanted this to be a onetime purchase. Some other brands that I had found, I could of had for about half the cost. But If something like this happens then where does that leave you?

woodmills1

my company   free heat machine

went out of business

I tried to find out why but only found out that the owner(or at least what appeared to be the owner) has opened a new company

the only impact to me so far is the loss of the promised double original warrenty  from 10 up to 20 as an internet come on to buy

however I am nearing 8 years in with no major problems and experienced a 2.25 year payback with my heating situation, so even this doesn't really effect me

all said the stove does what it is supposed to
most of the replaceble parts are off the shelf, and if the worst happened I know some great welders who can do stainless

am I sorry I lost the 20 year promise that took me away from central boiler.........................yes

am I  pi?><MLKNBBVhb  off about it.........no

the thing is a good design that was well made,  by a company that started making wood stoves way back in the 70's

all said I hope you come out as well as I have
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!