iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Clean up (with homemade soap)

Started by Don P, March 28, 2002, 05:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don P

Hi LW,
  Don said you were interested in making soap with your oils. I've been using this recipe with good results.  If you have any other questions, feel free to email me for details.
All the measurements are by weight.
All vegetable soap
24oz coconut oil      
24oz olive oil
18oz canola oil
16oz palm oil
 Melt all the oils in a large stainless container over low heat bring to about 100-110 degrees.
Meanwhile, measure 24oz distilled water and 12oz lye crystals. In a  pyrex glass jar or canning jar, slowly mix lye crystals into the distilled water stirring constantly.  Work in a well ventilated area and use rubber gloves and eye protection.  Lye is nasty stuff !!!  Be sure to mix lye into the water NOT water into lye. :o  I put the mason jar with the distilled water into a water bath before adding the lye.  It helps temper the reaction.  after about 5 minutes I start adding ice cubes to the water bath to help speed cooling the lye solution down to 110-100 degrees as well.
When both the lye and oils are 110-100 degrees, slowly, while mixing constantly, add the lye solution to the oils.  Continue stirring until 1st trace.  (That's when it first shows a line where you've been stirring- a slight thickening)  Add 1-2oz essential or fragrance oils.  Continue stirring until the mix is as thick as thin pudding.  Pour into molds and cover with plastic wrap and blankets and allow to cure 24 hours.  Unmold and cut into bars.  Wrap in wax paper and allow to cure 4 weeks before using.
I've had great results using those  wand type mixers with the little blade at the bottom.  It really speeds up the mixing without making big air bubbles which could lead to lye pockets.  I tried my regular hand held mixer and it makes lots of huge air bubbles.
I've gotten the coconut and palm oils from www.wholesalesupplies.com
also try www.soapteacher.com for more info
Happy saponification, Michelle

L. Wakefield

Thank you for the recipe! It's been a lotta years since I tried that (I can still remember how much it stung until the lye finished up reacting with the oil. They aren't just kidding about aging the soap!). Were you the one who was using cypress oil for an additive? That was a very interesting idea. I saw some this past year that they had used fennel oil, and it was really quite nice too.   lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Don P

Hi LW,
  My friend Susan had the cypress oil, but we ended up making lemon, rosemary, lavender and lavender-patchouli soaps.  www.bestofnature.com sells essential and perfume oils at resonable prices.  They have a blend of juniper, lavender and rosemary, I bet the cypress would work as well in that combination.
Michelle

L. Wakefield

I bookmarked that website. Some of the interesting soaps I have seen have added gently cleansing materials like ground oatmeal or wheat bran or the like. If I ever do a line like with fir I may try adding some ground fir needle material. I think you could do the same thing with rosemary or lavendar flowers. I'm just not sure what the lye would do to them, but you might be able to stir them in after the reaction is mostly done.  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Jeff

Hey Michelle!

We've heard a lot about ya but never directly from ya before! Welcome to the forum!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

Tha's right Jeff.  C'mon Don, sign her up.  We've got to get both sides of these stories  :D

Gordon

Tom and Jeff that isn't Michelles first post. Look back about this same time last year. She made a couple of posts one on tree planting and another on use of logs and treatments of logs in loghomes.

Maybe Don only lets her post once a year? Are ya in hot water yet Don? ;)

So when will Michelle be able to post again Don? Are ya in hot water yet? Well if you want to switch gears real quick and turn the table.

Don, look for a member named Wildflower and when her last post was. About a year ago as well. Jeff knows who it is. hehehehehehe

I've got a memory like a steel trap, rusty at times bet deadly at other times. ;D
Gordon

Jeff

Hey! This thread is about making soap, not suds. lets keep on track :D Gordon, do I hear someone calling you?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kevin

I don`t understand why he won`t let her post.
C`mon Don, let her post.

Don P

Alright guys,  I just decided I wouldn't get a word in edgewise.  Plus I lean more toward flowers and veggies than trees.  Well that's not entirely true, I like to plant trees, not cut them down and wrestle them to the mill.

Don P

I think I've been told :-[, She knows me well :D
Just for the record, I remember somebody stumbling 6x9 off my left rear with no glasses, following my yellow raincoat planting in the rain and muttering about job opportunities at  McDonald's :D She did pop in half the trees last week and  600 more bulbs 8)

Gordon

I thought the mrs was calling me but I was wrong. Well I'll keep it on track--the thread that is not the train, cuz it's already derailed. ;)

I've never made homemade soap. Unless u count the times I've reshaped the soap after soaking in the tub, you can make some neat animal shapes with it.

But I have looked for an easter egg that couldn't be found. :'( :'( :'(

Gordon

SwampDonkey

CANUS Goat's Milk Soap

http://www.canusgoatsmilk.com

Waitsfield, Vermont  802-496-2527

Ville St-Laurent, QC 514-738-8998

FDA approved
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bro. Noble

I was a pretty big kid before I knew there was any kind of soap besides lye soap (made with hog fat and scented with lye ;)).

When our boys were young,  we butchered a hog and  and made soap wo they would know what lye soap was like.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Tom

Lots of Lye soap still being made in the rural areas I visit.  'there is always a chunk of it beside each outdoor faucet and by the well.  Mud rooms have copious amounts too. It is seldom in bar form but has been made in the bottom of a large pan and just broken into hunks about the size of your fist.  

I like it.  It smells clean instead of all perfumey. 8) :)

I thought this was about Homemade Soup and just had to read it. :D

Patty

I did the same thing as you Tom, I saw "homemade soup" and just had to read on. Then I read the ingredients, and went whoa, that's not a soup I've ever heard of! Time to get my glasses on I guess, and pour another cup of coffee.  :D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Linda

Michelle,

Thanks for the soap recipe!  I've been buying plain glycerin soap in 40# bulk bundles for a few years.  The price goes up $20.00 every couple of years.  I recently decided to make my own.  Is your soap recipe considered "glycerin" soap?

Also, since we have so many ashes from wood burning around our mill, I have looked into making my own lye.  Sounds dangerous, but I still would like to try.  Have you ever made the lye?

Linda :)
Wood-Mizer 2012 LT50HDE25

Buzz-sawyer

Hey Linda just a thought have you seen the movie staring Brad Pitt, called Fight Club???
It offers excellent insight into " high end "home made glycerine soap..... ;) ;) :)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Linda

No, I haven't, but it sounds explosively dangerous! :o
Wood-Mizer 2012 LT50HDE25

SwampDonkey

Grand mother and grandfather's mother made soap years ago from lye and animal lard, my uncle was mentioning it the other day. I think everyone out in the coutry made it here. There was no Lever 2000 back in those days. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Buzz-sawyer

Linda , Brad uses lipo suctioned fat from rich womens....chunky areas to produce high end soap to sell back to them....as well as nitro.....a peotic iriony I guess!!!!!
Don
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

slowzuki

Just so ya know, glycerines/ides are just the long waxy strings in oils.  Lye converts the oils to longer strings.  Takes a bit more work to make nitro-g.

If anyone on the forum makes bio-diesel, you get poor quality soap out of it when you use the methanol to get the long chain stuff out to prevent waxing of the fuel.

Thank You Sponsors!