iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maple I.D.

Started by callmejohndoe, May 09, 2018, 05:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

callmejohndoe

Hi I'm learning to identify maples and oaks and i've found a maple that is difficult. Well oaks are pretty tough to but anyway here is the maple in question.

<

I'm not sure if this tree is the same as the other 2. THe thing 1 looked like a baby version of the fits 1 I posted. BUt the thing is all of them had leaves similiar to the 1 that I posted.  THe leaves do not have whitish bottoms. I used a field guide petersons to attempt to identify and I simply could not, because the leave that  IUhave htere And i actually collected another do not look like any of the leaves in my book.

If i had to guess i'd guess black maple maybe sugar. But i just dont know... The thing is these trees are in a wooded area, and I know a sugar maple where i live its big beautiful has a massive crown wide and full of leaves very bushy its beautiful. Where as these trees in a woods are thinner and dont have a very full crown, the one is also fairly tall, and they dont have a low lying crown which I know maples usually do.

If you guys could give me some pointers that would be great as I'm rather young I guess and have really no 1 else to ask.

Another interesting characterstic, I only did this for the thin 1 which is the 1 I got the leaf from as the other leaves were 2 high up to reach but I could identify they were the same truly. I broke a small twig on it and the smell is very citrus like. I wood honestly compare it to an orange but maybe just a little sweeter. Very pleasent odor in my opinion.

DPatton

That's no maple leaf.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

callmejohndoe

I'm guessing it's a sweet gum then, I shouldn't have been stupid! Oddly enough I actually live in the Northeast, and you know what SWEET GUM TREES ARE ALL OVER WHERE I LIVE HERE.

My book does make the technical distinction between these as being alternate vs opposite leaves. I should have been more technically astute, but being a bit of a rookie in this art I failed to to utilize this small, but important factor.

DPatton

I apologize for the way I probably came across on my first reply. Sorry, I should have replied that's no maple leaf I've ever seen before. However I didn't even check to see where you were from prior to responding, so my bad because these things can vary greatly region to region.

IMHO I do believe that your reply of sweet gum is correct however. I also believe that the first bark pic is sweet gum as well. The pic of the little tree has to much shadow for me to clearly see the bark. Your last bark pic looks to be more of a maple type bark. Not sure what type of maple but definitely maple looking.

TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Thank You Sponsors!