iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OK, Whatisit?

Started by Magicman, July 07, 2018, 10:25:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I have been curious about this tree for several years.  The cambium has a very nice odor and deer love to rub it.  Matter of fact in one picture you can see where they have rubbed it for many years.

Taken this past Winter.

Another bark picture with buds.

Straight trunks with no major limbs.

The crowns.

Leaves all of the way to ground level.  This tree once had three stems but the deer finally killed one stem.  Also notice much deer rub damage to both of the remaining stems.

Leaves sprouting from the trunk.

A closeup of a leaf.

Another.

Size of the leaf. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Why isn't it a big leaf magnolia? Same as a cucumber tree or at least in the same family. Have you ever seen the blooms and fruit?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

mike_belben

Kinda almost seems like black gum but not quite same as the ones where i am.
Praise The Lord

bluthum

Looks a lot like Magnolia some one or the other. It could be keyed probably pretty easy with that twig in hand.

curdog

I can't tell from the pictures,  but what color are the buds? It looks like cucumber magnolia. If it is the buds will be white and hairy. 

Magicman

The bark sorta resembles Black Gum, but that is not what it is.  Also completely wrong leaves. 

I looked at my other "bud" pictures and the one I showed is by far the most distinctive.  The bud tips are hard and reddish in color.   

These leaves are very pliable and not hard or slick like any Magnolia that I am familiar with. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

It is tupelo. Same genus as blackgum.  Just a blackgum on steroids. 

Virginia Tech Dendrology Fact Sheet

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

OK, that makes sense and also matches my reference book.  I knew that it was an oddball for my locale but never realized the vast difference between the leaves on Black and Tupelo Gum.  I will have to watch for the berries.

Will the leaves turn the bright red colors early in the Fall like Black Gum?

It is not growing in a wet or swampy area but rather is on the tallest ridge on the property, but I image that is just where a bird or animal dropped the seed.

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

Danny is not doubt right. I did not think about tupelo as we don't have any here and been a long time since I have seen it.

There are several species of magnolia that are deciduous and do not have the shiny waxy leaves on the Magnolia grandiflora most of us think of about when you mention Magnolia. One type has leaves up to a meter long. The cucumber magnolia has leaves similar to the ones in your picture. We have them up here but the grandiflora only where planted in people's yards and such.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WDH

On the magnolias, the stipular scars and bud scale scars completely encirle the the twig.  Not so on blackgum or tupelo.  A stipule is s little structure at the base of the leaf petiole (the stalk that attaches the leaf blade to the twig).  Look at a leaf where the petiole is attached to the twig.  In the magnolias and yellow poplar, there is a distinct line that circles around the twig just below where the petiole joins the twig.  If you can find a yellow poplar branch/twig with a leaf attached, you can easily see the stipular scar.

Look down at the 15th pic on this link and you will see a yellow poplar stem and a red arrow pointing to the stipular scar.

Twig Morphology: Scars
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

timberking

Did not think tupelo just from the pic background.  

WDH

If you slice open the pith longitudinally, you will find that it is diaphrammed :)

caveman

Good information shared in this post. Thank you for the thorough information. 
Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!