iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl MS250 or Husqvarna 345?

Started by Adam1976, April 05, 2004, 03:27:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam1976

Hi, all.  Can anyone tell me which is the better saw overall?  For our needs, we have narrowed it down to these two models of saws (would rather not look at more expensive models)  I have asked different people their opinions on different brands of chainsaws, and most everybody I have talked to say to buy either a Stihl or Husqvarna.  I've got a Stihl weed whacker that I bought in 1995, and it's never let me down, but do not have any experience with Husqvarna products.  We went to a Stihl/Husqvarna dealer, and the salesman steered us towards the Husqvarna 345 instead of the Stihl MS250.  He said he preferred the Husqvarna because there was some part in it (I cannot remember which part! ) that was solid, instead of hollow, like the Stihl MS250.  The Husqvarna was only $10 more, so there was not much price difference to sway me one way or the other.
--So, which is the better saw?  The main thing I would like to know about is reliability....which has the better track record?  Which one will give me more service throughout the years?  The saw will not be used professionally, only a "consumer" setting...clearing trees from 7.5 acres of land.  I really don't care about which is noisier, or stuff like that.  I do like the 2 year warranty on the Husqvarna.  Any help you can give will be appreciated.  Thanks!

Mark M

Hi Adam

How much is he asking for them? You might consider the Husky 346XP. I think it is only about $50 more than the 345. I have a 345 and like it OK but wish I had the 346XP. Stihl's are good too, I don't think brand makes much difference anymore.

Good luck
Mark

Adam1976

Hi, Mark.  I think he wanted $279 for the Husqvarna, and $289 for the Stihl MS250.  We are still looking for better prices, though.  There was some online chainsaw shop in Oregon, or Washington that wanted $258 for the Husqvarna 345 and that included shipping and an extra chain.  I would save money buying online, but I think I should buy locally, even though it would cost more money...I don't know.

SasquatchMan

I would buy locally if the shop is good.  I bought a Stihl because I have Stihl dealers all around, and the only Jonsered dealer didn't quite have a saw tech yet.

As for the saws, they should both be pretty good - you often hear that the 250 is one of the better of the low end Stihls, and Huskies are huskies...  buy the saw that seems to fit you better.

Senior Member?  That's funny.

oldsaw-addict

If you can find a Husky 346XP in the same price range as the two saws you're already looking at, I vote 346XP, its a nicer, faster , more powerful higher performance saw. I know what a Husky is built for and that is to work hard and long, Believe me, the 346XP will perform better than a 345 or an MS250 ever will in stock form. I'm a husky man though, my chainsaw is husky my trimmer/brushcutter is husky and my hat is husky, so I'm leaning to husqvarna. I just dont like all most stihls for whatever reason.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

jokers

Both the ms250 and the 345 are actually very good saws. You could probably pick which ever is cheaper or feels better in your hands and be very satisfied.

For a few dollars more however, you could have a Husky 350 which is more powerful for the same weight and has desirable features like an adjustable oiler and a cylinder that is seperate from the engine base, more like a pro grade saw, an an advantage if you ever need to do top end work like a re-ring. There is only a $6 difference in price at CCD, $279 for the 345 and $285 for the 350.

I`d also check with Dan Henry if you are considering buying from anyone but a local dealer.

Russ

Adam1976

Hey, guys.  Thanks for the info about the chainsaws.  We ended up with the Stihl MS250.  I love the saw!

jokers

I`d be surprised if that saw doesn`t serve you very well Adam, good choice.

Russ

Hunter

Adam,
 Have you had much time on the new saw? Just wondering of your overall opinion after some run time.
Thanks
Hunter
Jmccomas@insight.rr.com
614-554-2169
Dolmar / Efco / Redmax / Silvey Grinders Sales

Adam1976

:) Hunter:

No, I have only had two or three days on the saw, but in the short time i've used it, it cuts so much smoother than the Poulan I borrowed from my cousin.  Not to mention how much less the Stihl vibrates...and the Stihl has a little bit bigger engine than that Poulan.  The noise level is about the same...it's hard to tell.  Also, it doesn't move around on the ground when the engine is on.  Easier to start as well!  Sometimes, I would pull on the Poulan, and it seemed much harder to pull than the Stihl.

I could have gotten the MS250 with the quick chain adjuster, but I figured since it was made of plastic, it might be more apt to break someday...anyway, the QCA feature cost more.  I will be using it shortly, and will check back in then.

jokers

I`ve found the QCA to be a PITA! LOL!

With my fat fingers I can`t get the ring to pop up without some sort of prying tool so I might as well carry a scrench anyway. This coupled with the fact that the adjusting ring doesn`t offer much purchase, so you must really loosen the clamp which takes a little more time, and the fact that you have to remove part of the QCA from the bar to flip the bar for normal maintenance and I`ve come to think of the Quick adjuster as just another gimmick which also adds some small amount of weight to the saw.

Russ

incognitive

Russ,

There are certainly some down-sides to the QCA mechanism, but all in all it makes me think "damn that's a neat idea!"

Minnesota_boy

I got a MS180 Stihl with that QCA and after I learned how to open the ring, I've come to love it.  With that small saw it really makes sense.  If the chain gets even a little loose, pop up the ring, loosen the bar, adjust, tighten, and I'm ready to saw again.  Total time of about 30 seconds and I didn't have to look for the scrench or go to the tool box to get it.  Don't try to get a hold of the outer part of the ring, it's the middle of the ring that you work on to get the outer part to pop out.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Thank You Sponsors!