iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is a Forest Stewardship Plan.

Started by land_owner, November 05, 2004, 09:00:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

land_owner

First I would like to say this site is great & thanks for all the info ;D. My question is what is a forest stewardship plan ???

SwampDonkey

Check out these links for a definition, criteria and example plan. Just click on the next two lines:

Michegan DNR, definition-criteria

Virginia Dept of Forestry - Plan Example

cheers
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Texas Ranger

The FSP is a government generated forest management cook book that covers all aspects of forest management that can possibly be conceived.  I have seen a 10 acre plan run to 40 pages.  It is required on lands that are to received certain federal cost share dollars.  

It is such a poor excuse for management that many consultants have refused to be involved with them.

This from Texas, other state mileages may vary.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

SwampDonkey

Texas Ranger:

Looks like thay ask the compiler to put way more effort into those type of plans than he can recover from the costs. Landowners up here don't require woodlot plans to access silviculture funding, but they do if a marketing board manages their property. But, our plans are realistic and meet owner objectives with best management practices in mind as well as being feasible for a contractor to follow. Although, I have had to  scrap some plans when I worked at a marketing board because the cruising job was so poor (volumes were over estimated by a large margin). Owners take those volumes quite literally and wonder where their wood went, was it stolen? You don't know how many times I've had to convince the owner the cruise wasn't reliable. It sure didn't make the marketing board look good. But, the cruises where outsourced, untill the policy of the board changed and all plans, on managed lots, were to be done in house. Some people haven't yet figured out that you have to take the NIKE's off the dashboard and go for a walk with the work boots on, in the bush. I seen one plan that one of our contractors compiled that had the exact voulmes found in a DNR cruise, done by a forest company. I found out the guy working at the forest company was friends with the independent contractor, and all that was different in the cruises was, the red maple was substituted for sugar maple, white birch was switched for poplar. A landowner bought that parcel of land in question, as it was an isolated crown block, and he brought the two cruises in for a look, volume was exactly the same. ::)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Here is a definition of Forest Stewardship plan stolen from the webpages of one of our administrators, Ron Scott. *this is also a shameless but deserved plug for Ron. ;D

A Management Plan is a tool, for you as a forest landowner, to use over the years as a guide in protecting, enhancing and reaping the benefits from your forest land. It should be prepared by a natural resource professional with the background and experience in the area(s) most important to you. You may need a team approach where foresters, wildlife biologists, or botanists work together to produce a management plan that not only reflects your goals for the property but also the inherent capacity and limitations of the land. Planning does not restrict your choices, but provides you with a wide selection of viable alternatives for your property.

All Resource Connections also known as ARC Consulting Services can assist in planning and management of forest lands for multiple use. ARC considers the connections of all resources, (soil, air, water, wildlife recreation, timber, forage, aesthetics, cultural resources, natural features, endangered, threatened, and sensitive species, and wilderness) within the landscape ecology for integrated resource management. The minimum resource standard of any one resource should not be violated at the expense of another. "The art of intelligent tinkering is to save all the parts".

Take an active role in managing your property by having a forest management plan developed for your property. For more information on management planning and private lands forestry call your nearest Michigan Department of Natural Resources Service Forester, Consulting Forester, or contact Ron Scott here on the forum
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

I was unclear of the definition of the Forest Stewartship Plan as outlined by Michegan DNR, they define a subsidy program. I figured that's what member land_owner was looking for. The subsidy to the compiler is quite low and that will reflect thier quality. As Texas Ranger suggests, I bet most foresters couldn't be bothered going through that system and are better serving the public with the services of their own company. I wouldn't do it for thier posted rates, that's for sure. But, I'de integrate the cost of a plan with my services if someone wanted me to manage their land. In the long run the landowner saves money and has their best interest looked after. Land owners don't like to be nickle and dimed to death, they like a set rate and go with that.

I'm sure Ron's plans are top notch and if I was a landowner down that way, and in the dark about such things, I'de definately hire Ron. I find plans prepared by reputable contractors are of better quality, in a general scense. Not everyone is reputable,so if you choose a forester who is 'registered' as professional you'll likely be better served. As Ron's definition suggests management is about options that don't deplete resources. And those resources can be trees to recreational uses.

Nothing shameful about mentioning Ron's name for such work. :)

land_owner

Thanks again for all the great info 8).

Thank You Sponsors!