iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Peterson ASM Feedback

Started by sawmillsi, July 14, 2004, 06:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawmillsi

Hi guys,

Any one got any feed back on the Peterson ASM.

Don't mind if its from using one, seeing one (first hand or second hand) or looking at a video/cd.

Thanks

Simon

Ianab

I've only watched a couple of demos of the ASM at Fieldays, but I was very impresssed with how it ran. Especially for such a portable system. Jake was running it with his experimental thin kerf blade and that really cut.
I think it would take a bit of practise to get good at running it, it not as 'hands on' as the manual system. And it seems to have a lot more 'little gadgets' that could break in service. It doesn't have the simplicity of the manual swingblades. I'm not suggesting it would be unreliable, and everything looks logical and well laid out to be able to service things if need be. But if you dont have motors driving everthing.. they cant fail can they ;)

When I win the Lottery I will go out and buy one 8)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

sawmillsi

Thanks Ian,

Just the feedback I was looking for!

Simon

Jeff

I'll give ya my thoughts if ya EVER DO A SHOW IN THE MID WEST!  ;)  Really, I wanna see one of those puppies, I wanna see even the manual one! Hey Cap'n! Can you get one on yer flight?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Captain

The Captain PROMISES to have the ASM at BOTH the Paul Bunyan Show in Nelsonville, Ohio for you Central States folks and the Sunbelt Ag Expo in Moultrie, GA for you Southern folk.  

Also, we are currently planning a trip to the Empire Farm Days in Senaca, Falls NY August 8,9,10 and if there is enough interest, I will bring it there too!! (I am currently only planning to bring a Winch Production Frame)

I've got about 15 hours on the ASM so far, as it is just a demonstrator model here in the 'States.  I can truly say that it is logical and intuitive to operate already understanding the swing blade concept.  It is all a matter of learning the motions and mastering the controls.  My only learning curve was mastering the setworks, and getting repetitive with my resets.  Initially I was getting some variation, but it was all operator induced. Speed?  It is very fast, and unlike the speed of my manual mill where I am the speed qualifier, it can sustain it for hours on end.  For that reason, I usually have 2 folks offbearing.  Although at first glance there seems to be many intricate components, it is all pretty straightforward and basic.  

At this point, it is just a matter of getting the mill in front of more people.  It really is fun to operate it at a show.  You start into the log, paying attention to your work and look up a few minutes later to see over 100 people there looking, pointing, picture flashes going off, videos being taken.  Some of the spectators that stay the longest are wearing shirts from other sawmill manufacturers.  

When it is all said and done, I'll probably have to own one.  especially if our rate of sawmill business growth continues on its current trend. ::)

CAPTAIN

Thank You Sponsors!