iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What Handgun To Use For Deer Hunting?

Started by Norm, November 18, 2007, 10:09:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

We can hunt with handguns in Iowa now and have thought about giving it a try. Anyone have some suggestions about what to use.

I'll accept un-knowledgeable ones too. ;D

Reddog

Alot of what if's.

How far do you want to cover?
Do you want a reasonable knock down or I have to have the biggest made thing.

44 mag with the right loads works well to a 100yrds. The Casulls and 480 ruger are more about short range brute knock down.
After a 100yrds  I would start looking at the TC's. JDJ makes some good rounds based on the 444 marlin case. 270 to 30. cal and most of them are good out to 250yrds.

Thats my .02 hope it helps.

scsmith42

Norm, ditto's Reddog's comments. 

I used to handgun hunt with a Ruger Super Blackhawk with a 10" barrell / .44 mag. 

My first choice would be a Thompson Contender though, maybe chambered in 22 Swift, .223 or something lighter.  I have spoken with several TC owners over the years and they all love them. 

Matter of fact, a TC is on my personal "wish list"!

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

sawguy21

I don't hunt so am wondering what the idea is behind this. Are you over run with deer and need more hunters for population control? I am supposing a handgun would reduce the chances of a clean kill.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Norm

Most of the shots would be under 75 yards with 50 yards being typical. The loads can't be necked rounds so I'm thinking of loads of .45 or .44 mag. I'm not one for brute force just to say so and like to be somewhat comfortable when I shot. I do not have a single revolver in my collection so a long barreled one with a scope is how I'm leaning.

Sawguy a handgun would not give you any more chances of a wounded deer if the proper shot placement is done. Plenty of  practice and waiting for a good shot are the most important thing no matter what type of firearm is used to hunt deer with. Unfortunately we have plenty of hunters in our area that shot a gun once a year and that's during deer season. It wouldn't matter if you gave that type a howitzer. :D

Reddog

Well Norm,
I would say the best one to fit that is the ruger redhawk in 44 mag. I would also scope it. Use a low power scope. The pistol optics do not gather light like a rifle scope.

For ammo I have seen good results with both the 270grain Speer gold dot, and Hornady 265 and 300. The new nosler partions should be good, but I have not seen or used any.

Norm

Thank you Reddog, I found a variation of it called the super redhawk that's made especially for a scope.

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAFamily?type=Revolver&subtype=Double%20Action&famlst=7

Looks nice, now to see if I can get one in before the season.

Reddog

The model KRH-44R also has the mounts on the barrel. To me the std redhawk has a nicer line. But there is nothing wrong with the super.

farmerdoug

I have a super Redhawk in 44mag.  It came with scope rings new.  I shoot handloads with the Hornaday 240 grain XTP bullets.  If it hits them solidly it will put them down.  You must be willing to learn to shoot the gun though.  No 15 day a year wonders here.  ;D  As said if you cannot hit it then you cannot kill it.  Though I doubt you will have a problem getting in the practice needed, Norm. ;)

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Norm

What scope are you using on it Doug?

Our season opens on the 1st of December and I'm not sure I'll get enough practice in to be confident in my shooting ability. I do shot other handguns but have never owned a revolver.

flip

Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

DWM II

Norm, I've got the super redhawk as well, I havent taken a deer with it yet but I've set my mind to it this year. I love the gun and as well as a scope I also suggest a quality bandolier holster, it is quite heavy for the hip and it will draw better from in front.

Good Luck, Donnie
Stewardship Counts!

submarinesailor

I use a Ruger Super Blackhawk.357 Maximum with an Accudot on it.  Love the way it shots.

Bruce

farmerdoug

Norm,

I have a redfield scope.  I will have to check the model but I do know they are not made anymore.  I used open sites on it for quite awhile too.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Reddog

Norm,
The Burris and Leupold 2x scopes seem to work well. I have a 1x burris and like the extra feild of view.

Keep in mind if you have not used a pistol scope. The field of view can be much smaller and the eye relief is not at full arm reach. You will most likely find you need both elbows bent.

As was pointed out they are heavy and hard to carry. A front hollster or a sling work well.

Norm

Thanks for all the advice folks, it's much appreciated. :)

I get multiple licenses as a landowner with a couple of them being doe only. My thoughts were to use the handgun if I feel confident with it to use at close range for those tags. I just know if I use it for the buck tag some monster will walk in on me stand broadside turn that proverbial 16 point rack and stick his tongue out knowing I'll never hit him. Of course one that big would be safe even if I had a howitzer because I'd be shaking to hard anyways. :D

moosehunter

An Encore in 45-70 would put a hurt on a deer and I find it fun to shoot. It's got a lot of wow factor when someone sees you load one of those shells!

Last year I decided I wanted to take a deer with my Kimber 45. Figured if I can get close enough with a bow, I can do it with my Kimber. I ran out of luck and didn't see another deer that season. I will try again this year.

mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

ely

norm, imo do not scrimp on the quality of scopes when you buy. i have a t/c pistol with 14 inch bull barrel in 44 mag. is has to use a scope as it has no sites. i put one of those tasco 30 mm pistol scopes on it.
i shoot some pretty heavy reloads in it because i can with that single shot design, they are the same loads my dad uses in his lever rifle. at any rate the scope started having problems after 20 or thirty shots. like little black stuff floating around after each shot, and the scope not staying on target. after checking everything out and finding the mount to be solid. it was all internal on the scope.
i never had trouble with tasco scopes until that pistol scope.  so now i need a new scope of quality so i can get back to shooting pigs.

J_T

Hey Norm take a look at the S&W 44mag I got a 629 with costom grips And it is a lot nicer on the recol jump factor than the Rugers  ??? Or I think So but may be twice the money  ???
Jim Holloway

johncinquo

"The loads can't be necked rounds" 

That eliminates about 2/3 of the rounds recommended.   While a lot of the rounds mentioned are great, you cant legally use them.  We have the same rule here. 

I like a T/C in 357 mag with a 10" barrell.  4x scope.  Just plain ole fun. 

Someone asked why a pistol.  It makes it a little harder and adds a little more fun to the hunt.  Its a challenge.  You can also still hunt, stalk a lot easier with a pistol than a rifle. 

Taking big game with a .223, I am pretty sure it illegal in a lot of states.  I know it is in MI.  While I know it can be done, its just not good sportsmanship in my opinion. 
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

beenthere

I like the T/C that will chamber a .410 shell as well as the .45 LC (long colt, 200 gr).  Makes for a great combination gun in one barrel. Deer hunt and partridge/pheasant hunt same time. Someday will spring for one, but prolly should do it before I don't hunt anymore.. ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Norm

Well after much pondering I went with the one reddog suggested, KRH-44 chambered in .44 mag with a Nikon scope. It was not an easy choice with so many to chose from. My buddy who runs a gun shop found a used one and picked up the scope and rings new. When I called him about it he asked when I needed it, why December 1st is the opener. He laughed and said he'd see what he can do. I'll have to see how well I shot it but there's a couple of spots I hunt that you can get very close without them spotting you so will probably give it a try.

Thanks to all for the suggestions it is much appreciated. :)

beenthere

Quote from: Norm on November 21, 2007, 03:01:47 PM
................. but there's a couple of spots I hunt that you can get very close without them spotting you so will probably give it a try.

Thanks to all for the suggestions it is much appreciated. :)

Those spots wouldn't be the living room or the shop, now would they.. ::) ::)    ;D ;D ;D ;D

Good luck on the hunt... :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Corley5

Quote from: johncinquo on November 21, 2007, 01:21:33 PM
Taking big game with a .223, I am pretty sure it illegal in a lot of states.  I know it is in MI.  While I know it can be done, its just not good sportsmanship in my opinion. 

"In the rifle zone, deer may be taken with handguns, rifles, bows and arrows, shotguns and muzzleloading firearms including black powder handguns. It is legal to hunt deer in the rifle zone with any caliber of firearm except a .22 caliber or smaller rimfire (rifle or handgun). Crossbows are legal to use by a person 12 years of age or older during the Nov. 15-30 firearm deer season."
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10366_37141_37706-31578--,00.html

Any centerfire rifle cartridge is legal for taking deer in MI from the .17HMR and up  8) :)  It's not the size of the bullet it's the placement of it.  The 30-30 Win cartridge is second only to the 22LR when it comes to #s of whitetails killed  ;) ;D :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

dutchman

I hunted with a Ruger Redhawk, with 4x scope,in 41 mag for years,
it's a great round for deer.
Smith came out with the Light Hunter 44mag, out of the Custom shop.
I shoots like the 41 only I carry it for bear and buck now.
Does a nice job on either.
I would suggest for general use the 460, is the best round for handgunners
available today.
Makes it worth the effort when you can take your game with a handgun.

johncinquo

I stand corrected.  I thought anything in the 22 caliber was not allowed for hunting large game.  Several years ago the 243 was a very popular cartridge being used because it was big enough to be allowed to hunt with and still on the small side. 

I still say, its a bad idea.  As bad of a shot as some of the deer I find that were wounded and ran off and died, I would hope the yahoos that are shooting them had at least something big enough to bring down a deer faster.   

The 30-30, and .22 fall behind the F150 and Suburban. :D
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

dnalley

Not to stir the pot but a 17HMR (17Hornady Magnum Rimfire) I think shoots something like a 17 gr bullet.  That's probably great for 100 yd shots at prairie dogs, but that's just not deer medicine.  Just MHO.   Dwight 

beenthere

I was under the impression that rimfire cartridges were not legal...just centerfire.  ::) ::) ???
south central Wisconsin

Corley5

Quote from: dnalley on November 22, 2007, 10:58:55 PM
Not to stir the pot but a 17HMR (17Hornady Magnum Rimfire) I think shoots something like a 17 gr bullet.  That's probably great for 100 yd shots at prairie dogs, but that's just not deer medicine.  Just MHO.   Dwight 

I was thinking earlier today that I was wrong about the .17HMR.  ;) ;D  So we can use the .204 Ruger in Michigan for deer :) :)  Not that it's a good idea  :) :) :)  

Reminds me of the hunter from the southern part of the state that drew an elk permit.  He came up with his prize 30-06 and some 175gr rounds.  Plenty for elk.  He wounded two that were never recovered and the one he finally got was tracked for a two days before he was able to put it down.  After the first two he bought some different ammo that had a 220gr bullet as I remember.  He didn't resight his rifle for the new rounds and didn't tell his guide what he'd done until he shot at an animal the next day and kicked up chunks of sod well short of the target.  When he finally brought his animal into the check station all he could talk about was how he was gonna get some Weatherby Mag because the 06 couldn't get it done  ::) >:(  That same season an elderly woman shot a nice bull with her trusty Model 94 Winchester 30-30 with iron sights.  The gun she'd grown up with  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)  Our neighbor in Da UP uses an old bolt action pistol that's chambered for .221 Remington Fireball for deer hunting and he's killed more than a few with it ;).  
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

WILDSAWMILL

I USE A 12" Barrled 44 CAL Cap & Ball revoliver, its an 1858 remingtion copy with 30 grains of 3F Goex Black Powder & a lubed felt wad & .451 soft lead round ball.
kills deer leaves cool smoke & you got 6 shots
Kascosaw2B

beenthere

Quote from: WILDSAWMILL on November 26, 2007, 10:24:56 PM

Cool.........is that 6 per day??    ;D
south central Wisconsin

Weekend_Sawyer

I carry a S&W 686 357mag. In WV it is an $8 addition to hunt with a handgun.
I have not had a chance to try it out yet.

I shoot better with a revolver. The action of an automatic seems to throw off my 2nd shot.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

WILDSAWMILL

Quote from: beenthere on November 26, 2007, 11:26:36 PM
Quote from: WILDSAWMILL on November 26, 2007, 10:24:56 PM

Cool.........is that 6 per day??    ;D
thats 6 shots with out having to reload, i have fired 60 rounds in a day before i had to clean the action
Kascosaw2B

DWM II

What production rounds are you handgunners hunting with out there? I've done all my target practice with my .44 mag with hand loaded swc, but i have been looking at the Federal Vita-Shocks to hunt with. Has anybody had any results with these?
Stewardship Counts!

jrob

Norm,
I know it's a little late now, but a former co-worker of mine in Eldora has done well on your local deer for 7 or 8 years with a heavy frame Taurus revolver in .357 Mag.  Most shots 75 yds. or less with factory-load hollow points.

Norm

Well it is a small world jrob, I grew up on a farm outside of Eldora and went to school there.  :)

Eldora's claim to fame is that it's the home of the state training school for boys which is actually the juvenile detention center. Twice while growing up on the farm we had escapees visit. Once they stole my dad's pickup and made it almost out of state which was amazing as we couldn't make it to town in it. The other time one knocked on the door at midnight while my older brother who just got home was eating a snack. It was cold and raining and the kid wanted to turn himself in. Of course my brother invites him in and makes him a sandwich while they waited for the sheriff to show up. My folks knew nothing about it until the next day when people in town asked about it. :D

jrob

It truly is a small world, Norm.  I worked in Eldora for almost 9 years and lived north of New Providence, near Lawn Hill.  Lots of nice deer and pheasant in the area.  I never knew anyone took deer with shotgun slugs until moving to Iowa.  The slugs do take care of business but I still prefer a .270.     

Norm

Yes slugs are pretty deadly but I'd much prefer to hunt with my 30-06. 1 ounce of lead does some major meat damage.

I got my new handgun in today. The forecast for opening day is freezing rain, think I'll probably work on my new shop instead.

Ron Scott

~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!