iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 036 PRO vs the new 361

Started by derhntr, April 06, 2006, 08:03:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derhntr

I bought a new 361 a couple weeks ago and here why.

I have been using a 028 for years a heck of a saw, using a .325 chain on a 18 inch bar. I have cut hundreds of cords of firewood with it. Then in 98 we had a wind storm with 135mph winds that knocked dowd 40% of my 26 acer woods.

Blowdowns like this have weird tension and I was pinching the saw at times and was dealing with larger trees. With bucking and felling I felt I needed a new saw one for the landing, and one for felling and using the backup saw to free pinches. So I picked up a 036 pro with a 18 inch bar and a 3/8 chain.

Over time the 028 got used less and less, I like the 036 that much.

Well now that I have a mill on order, and will be doing more bigger log cutting and felling. Wanted a saw with a 24inch bar. I stopped at my local Stihl dealer to see about getting a longer bar for the 036, he is telling me that the max bar lenght for the 036 is 20inches as the oil pump is not strong enough for the 24 inch bar. The powerhead is strong enough to pull it. Just weak in the oiling department.

He suggested I get the 361, so I picked one up with 25 inch bar, along with a 20 inch bar for the 036.

Now the 361 does feel bar heavy with the 25 inch bar, but wow does it cut. Its first test was a 44 inch boxeldder. I am impressed.

With new bars and chains on all 3 saw we were cutting a 20 hard maple for fire wood, (no logs in it) the 028 was only slightly slower than the 2 biggers saws. I don't know if the smaller chain size has any thing to do with it, or if it is just that good of a saw. (all stock saws).

Now both the 028 and 036 only have sparkarrestors in the muffler. Where as I am sure that the 361 is all baffled up.

I see in past post that several of ya'll have both the 036 and 361 I would like to hear your thoughts.

Oh I also have a Husy 359 on the way, that comes with the mill. Heck of a deal. a 32k chainsaw and the throw a free band mill in :D

Thanks guys
Brian
2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

sawguy21

The 25 seems a bit much for the 361 but if it works for you. It is popular here with an 18" bar for slashing and firewood cutters. I like it too, smoother, faster and lighter than the 036.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

fishhuntcutwood

I love the 361.  I run a 24" on mine most of the time, but that's in Western softwoods, and it does superbly with the muffler opened up.  I've never worried much about bar length and blance, because as soon as you're in the cut, you aren't balancing anything.  And with the longer bars I'm accustomed to using, I'm used to nose down.  Nothing balances with a 32" bar".  The 361 is a fine saw, with better anti-vibe and a more useable powerband than the 036.  You can also get full and 3/4 handlebars for it if you're going to be in timber.  Some like them, some don't.  I dont' own a saw with out a full wrap, sans my 200T, and if one was available for it...

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

derhntr

Thanks for the comments, I still have not run a full tank of gas thru it yet. Been just saving it for the big stuff right now. Still have a feel for the 036 as of now. The more I read the more I am consitering getting the muffler mod done.

Brian

Minnesota_boy

Quote from: fishhuntcutwood on April 06, 2006, 04:11:25 PM
I Nothing balances with a 32" bar". 

I have a nice hunk of lead we can bolt to the rear handle to help balance the long bar.  ;D :D :D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

SawTroll

Quote from: derhntr on April 06, 2006, 08:03:00 AM
He suggested I get the 361, so I picked one up with 25 inch bar, along with a 20 inch bar for the 036. ....
Oh I also have a Husy 359 on the way, ....

Another happy MS361 owner here smiley_blue_bounce , but I must admit that I am a bit puzzled hereĀ  ??? - I read the story as if you are ending up with 3 different 60cc saw (+ the 028 that has a smaller engine, but weights about the same), and you have bought a 24/25" bar for one of them.

I would say that if that 24/25" bar really is needed, you should substitute at least one of your saws for a 70cc + one.
Imo a 25" bar on a MS361 defeats the purpose of having a light and nimble powerhead in the first place.

smiley_exclamation Another note; The max oiler output of the 361 is the same as for the 036 (14 ml/min), according to the info that I have. It is a bit higher on the 359, but not much (18 ml/min).

Using Stihl chain will make the best possible use out of the oiler output.
Information collector.

fishhuntcutwood

Quote from: derhntr on April 06, 2006, 05:07:17 PM
The more I read the more I am consitering getting the muffler mod done.

Don't consider it, just do it.  My buddy's 361 factory, next to mine opened is noticable.  In sound and performance.

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

derhntr

With having the 18,20 and 25 inch bars I can see just using 1 saw for most of the cutting. I think I will be happy with the 361. Now I get in to bigger trees I can alway buy a bigger saw ;D

boboak

It would be hard to go wrong with a 361.  I bought mine new in February and I've run it every day since,six or eight hours a day,and run it hard.  No problems...and I mean none.  Fishhuntcutwood is right about the muffler mod.  I'm still running stock because I haven't had the time to do anything to it but a friend of mine has a muffler mod on his and theres a noticable difference.  I did take mine back to the shop,per dealers instructions,after about ten hours.  He looked it over,made a minor carb ajustment and checked everything out.  If you want a good small saw the 361 is the way to go.  BTW I'm running a 24" Oregon bar and cutting oak and madrone with some occasional cedar.  As long as I just let the saw eat and  and don't try to push it too hard it'll carry the 24 with no sweat.
Sometimes you get things done faster if you do them slower

ehp

The 361 is a nice saw but do as the others said, open up the muffler  its a whole new saw then  8)

Thank You Sponsors!