iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

EZ Boardwalk Log Dog

Started by tiogajoe, April 25, 2019, 08:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiogajoe

I purchased an extra log dog for my saw to have one at each bunk for small logs.  The problem I'm running into is the extra dog and the upright on the saw get in each other way?  I can't lay the dog down without it resting on top of the upright of the last cross member.  The upright I'm referring to is the vertical brace you use to square/roll the log.  Am I missing something?

Downstream

Here is photo of my setup.  I don't have extra clamp but did move one closer for shorter logs.  clap upright does sit on top of backstop upright in this configuration but does not cause problem.
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

justallan1

Quite possibly I'm reading this wrong, but will respectfully ask anyhow. Why do you need two log dogs for short logs?
I will have a dog in the upright position and as soon as I load a log onto the mill I stand up the clamp leaving it spread apart, giving me the two points to roll the log how I want it. I then set the clamp at the height that I want it and push the dog down to where I want it. I then make the cut.
The dogs job on an EZ Boardwalk Jr. is for loading and squaring logs only. Due to the direction that the blade goes, when you are sawing they do nothing at that point, if a log were to move it would be pushing against the clamp side of the clamp and away from the dogs.
I do use both dogs and clamps for longer logs, but have found that on shorter logs if I keep sharp blades on the mill logs generally don't go anywhere and usually one clamp is sufficient.
Here's something I made and put on my mill for real small logs and for burls that are a PITA.

tiogajoe

Hi Allan.  I think I have you mixed up.  I purchased another clamp. I installed it on the bunk between the clamps that came on the saw.  I found that if I would grind down the rest that the last dog lays on I could get the middle clamp to lay at the same height as the other two.  This will allow me to cut down to the last board at a 4/4 cut.  Hope this is more clear?

justallan1

I confuse easily ;D
I see what you're saying now.
After making my post I also realized that it would all depend on what is a "small" log to any given person.
Have a great day.

tiogajoe

I like that rig you have for cutting burls.  I been thinking about some kind of rig for cutting cookies?

Thank You Sponsors!