iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New chainsaws compared to old chainsaws

Started by blkhillsvt, March 02, 2011, 08:40:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack S

Bill, Its nice to know I'm not the only  one left with an old 245a. I bought mine from a sale catalog from speigals in chicago in 1978 for $200. It cut firewood for dad and myself until 1995. It failed me 3 years ago when the fuel line rotted out inside the fuel tank. The one and only failure other than normal wearout items. That old saw even has intake reed valves which you don't see anymore. I use late model huskeys now but still keep the old saw for a backup  Jack

Al_Smith

For one thing the average owner of a chainsaw has no idea how to repair them or keep them in tune .Which more than likely is the reason for some comments .Some can some can't  :)

Inaotherlife

A lot of old saws that I see look like they weren't maintained all that much. Many look like they were just thrown in the back of a pickup at the end of every workday.

For me, it's hard to judge how much I'd have to spend to get it like I'd want it.

So I mostly look for saws that don't need a ton of work because I don't have a stash of spare parts for a bunch of old saws.

Thank You Sponsors!