iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dead and down redwood milling?

Started by muck, February 15, 2014, 05:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muck

Hello
I have a opportunity to pick these old landscape logs up
for basically gas money. I am buying a WM 126 next week,(finally!)
very excited.
I know these logs have been down for 10 years. the smallest are 8" and the largest is 18"
theres about 100 feet of logs. I was thinking they might be good for practice.
think theres any good wood in there?
is it a problom cutting old dry wood? (other then the checking)

thanks.
muck

beenthere

The checking itself shouldn't be much of a problem, but the dirt and sand that gets blown in those checks and decayed pockets may be a PIT behind. Watch to keep sharp blades on, as they may dull real fast when sawing.

Lookin forward to see what you get from them. Hope it is all good stuff.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

drobertson

I would saw them! find out the amount for a good slab,(opening cut), and go from there,  better than leaving  to finish rotting for sure,    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Ocklawahaboy

I'd saw 'em.  I had a chunk of Cedar that looked way far gone and way too asymmetrical to do any good and I decided to saw it instead of splitting it for firewood yesterday.  I made one of my uncles really happy with the middle 2" slab today.  He was looking for a rustic door lintel and it was just the ticket.  All that to say... See what's in them.  Might be great.

Magicman

I would saw them, but then I am a sucker for sawing most anything.  It will be interesting to see what is inside.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peder McElroy

If it's redwood the heart should still be good.

Ianab

Can you trim the weathered ends off a couple of logs and "look inside"? That will quickly tell you if there is good wood inside.

Might be issues with embedded dirt, and pockets of rot, but those are more of a "nuisance" rather than actual deal stoppers.

Being redwood chances are there is still plenty of useful wood there you can recover. Any dry wood is going to be a bit harder to saw, but Redwood is pretty soft and saws easy. So again, not a deal breaker.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

backwoods sawyer

This is an old holloe cedar tree that had been sitting in a deck over on the coast for close to a decade. Milied it up for the sole purpose of door and window trim, and had surprizingly recovery out of it,

Redwood is a good wood to learn to saw with, soft and easy milling. Cut the junk out of it and save the rest, may end up trimming a few boards back.

However ugly logs can give you a chance to realy learn your mill... and the price is right.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Chuck White

Being RedWood, they should still have a lot of "sound" lumber in them.

Go for it!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

muck

And so it begins!
I shall saw these logs and make my mistakes and make notes!
thanks for the encouragement.
I hope outta the larger one I can get a 2.5-3" slab to make my wife a "tailgate bench" outta some angle iron and the tailgate from a 71 chevy PU.
ill post picks along the way!

Muckhttp://www.forestryforum.com/board/Smileys/default/grin.gif

Ocklawahaboy

I see a great big pile of possibilities right there!
Quote from: backwoods sawyer on February 16, 2014, 02:42:26 AM

This is an old holloe cedar tree that had been sitting in a deck over on the coast for close to a decade. Milied it up for the sole purpose of door and window trim, and had surprizingly recovery out of it,

Redwood is a good wood to learn to saw with, soft and easy milling. Cut the junk out of it and save the rest, may end up trimming a few boards back.

However ugly logs can give you a chance to realy learn your mill... and the price is right.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: muck on February 16, 2014, 09:52:48 AM
I shall saw these logs and make my mistakes and make notes!

Well, ya better take pictures too, or it never happened!!!

Quote from: muck on February 16, 2014, 09:52:48 AM
ill post picks along the way!

Oh, I see ya already planned on it...

Have fun!

Be Careful!

Herb

muck

hey guys

was all set to fetch that redwood from napa a week ago and my wife had a emergency gall bladder surgery so been eating some pretty rough food over at methodest...lol

all is well and shes home resting

I finnally got over the hill and picked them up today. 40.00 for the logs and 40.00 for gas. very happy to start the pile.

a couple logs are peckerd but i believe theres alotof wood in there. 

I hope to have the wm126 in about 10 days. 8) 
hope to get a couple mantels and some slabs outta this wood. if nothing else it will be great for tuning in the saw.
and learning.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I've seen some nice "planks" come out of "UG-LEE" logs.
Nice load Muck! :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Ianab

As you would expect the sap wood is toast, but the heartwood looks like it's still good.

Cut one mantle from one log, and you will have your investment back  :)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

shelbycharger400

i passed up on a pile of 16 red cedar logs that looked like that, cause I have a nice pile already.   Seems like the price is good deal for the logs, id be milling that bigger one first into 2 in stock live edge where its solid ,  and do recovery around the rot at 1 in stock.    the smaller one on the top left seems a bit smallish, but seems big enough for a 4x7 mantle stick.   Just remember, one inch stock heavy brown rot will still sell to the right buyer as long as their is some good wood in it.

muck

Thanks Ian and shelbycharger

soooo
had a financial snag but the mill should be here next week.

now I do believe there are some nice slabs in there and I have had this old tailgate welded to make a bench.

I would like to put a redwood slab on it. I plane to sand one down and finish it. it will be outdoors in the front field so we can watch our daughter ride here horses and ponys. (here we are having fun)

I know from boats that this will require upkeep, what kind of finish to keep it looking nice and I have heard regular bolts will turn the wood black? should I use zinc/brass?

thanks ya all!

Magicman

Sometimes with rotten hearts, keep turning and taking boards off of the outside.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

woodworker9

Epifanes (product name) makes the very best exterior finish for any wood on the planet, IMHO.  It is used in yacht building, exterior trim and finish like furniture, decking, doors, etc....  It would be perfect for a bench.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

Ianab

It's suggests Stainless bolts. OK, they aren't cheap, but you only need 4 (?) so it wont break the bank.

Ian

Delawhere Jack

Say.....now there's a little horse!

;D

Thank You Sponsors!