iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting Extra Heavy Logs on Wood-Mizer LT-50 portable sawmill???

Started by Tom Levens, March 26, 2014, 10:20:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Levens

Any thoughts about cutting a 12,500 lb log on a Wood-Mizer LT-50 portable sawmill?

Magicman

What species is it, Leadwood?  What are the dimensions, Diameter and Length?  With that much weight the loader could not load it and the turner could not turn it.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tom Levens

I know... we're talking about 36" X 27' of White Oak. The machine is rated for 4,400 lbs. But I have seen You Tube Vids of extremely large logs on Wood-Mizers. I know we would need to be gentle with it. Move it with a fork lift or something?

scsmith42

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Tom Levens

dutchman

I have one customer that brings logs in on his crane truck.
He has set some smaller logs on the mill.

I work in an equipment barn has a 10 ton overhead crane.
I don't think I could saw with a roof over my head.

The last option would be two large A frames, with hoist. They are
found where truck bodies are set on new frames.

A swing blade mill is set up over the log.
It's a circle saw.
Search " swing blade"

Nomad

Tom, welcome to the FF.  I've got an LT50.  As others have said, that log would be a problem for a couple of reasons.  Does the mill you intend to use have an extension to cut that long?  You won't be getting fancy and sliding that log back and forth to get that much length on a standard mill. 
     Logs that diameter require a lot of turning.  Your chain turner probably won't do it and you're not going to turn it by hand either.  Not to mention waaay overloading the mill!
     Do you need stock that long?  If not I'd cut the thing to manageable lengths and cure most of your issues.
     Personally I'd consider it "swing blade fodder" and break out the Lucas. ;D  And even that, without extensions wouldn't handle a 27' length.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Ianab

If you have never seen one, a Swing blade mill is a very portable one man circle mill, able to handle some pretty impressive logs.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=25028.160

Main advantage, the log doesn't move while you mill it. While they have some limitations in terms of board width, log size is not such an issue. They are more common in NZ and Australia where oversize logs are still around, and remote areas where they can be hauled in by hand.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

customsawyer

Is the 36" on the small end or the big end? I cut logs this size on the big end and 40' long all the time but it is on a mill with a 24' ext. If you don't cut this size much expect it to take a while to cut it up. There is a steep learning curve in handling logs of this size.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Ga Mtn Man

If you do decide to have a go at, we will definitely want to see a video. ;D

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

bandmiller2

A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

WellandportRob

I would quarter saw that one.  Save the mill and still make your money.
2016 Wood-Mizer LT40HG 35 , Alaskan MKIII 60", Chev Duramax, Anderson logging trailer. Lucas DSM 23-19.

John S

I agree with Frank C. about damaging your mill.  Contact the experts at Woodmizer!
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

scsmith42

Tom, there is a fellow outside of Austin, TX that has a large slabbing operation, and he routinely slabs logs that size as well as larger at his facility in Bastrop.  Send me an e-mail or PM if you would like his contact info.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

FeltzE

I've loade 5000 lb and heavier logs on my mill... with help. A truck crane once and the Cat loader others.

Problems:
Backstops aren't really rated for banging around that weight.  be carefull not to spring them out. (mine are ok) Use the aux stops too.

You will need a bed extension to do it ... period end of story.

A truck crane or loader will be needed to load and roll the log ... your on board log turner isn't going to do it.

Recommendation. Buy  a Husky 3120 and 60 inch bar, and do the major break down with the chainsaw in alaskan mill style.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Tom Levens on March 26, 2014, 10:20:12 PM
Any thoughts about cutting a 12,500 lb log on a Wood-Mizer LT-50 portable sawmill?
Better read the manual.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Dave Shepard

I replied in your other thread, but I'll add some here as well. You don't mention what you want to saw out of the log. Is it a timber, or lumber? If lumber, does it have to be 27'? I've sawn a bunch of long stuff, but I have a 24' extension, and either a Lull forklift, or a big loader available to move the logs.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Tom Levens

I am looking to make timbers to build a barn maximum needed 8" X 14" X 26'.

But since you brought it up what would be your suggestions be for making lumber?

Thank You Sponsors!