iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Salad bowl set

Started by jim king, December 31, 2009, 12:53:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jim king

Here is a salad bowl set I made some time ago that I forgot about until my wife just started polishing it for New Years Eve.

The big bowl is 13 inches x 5 1/2 inches and the small ones are 5 1/4 x 2 1/2.

The big one is a glue up of a bunch of scrap and the small ones are each a different species.

Warbird

Nice.  You guys and all of these beautiful turnings are really making me want to find a lathe somewhere!  :)

Left Coast Chris

Hi Jim,    very nice work.   :) 8)

What finish did you use?
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

jim king

Chris:

As we dont have much to choose from here for finishes some time ago I found that a three part polyurethane floor finish works well.  It gets very hard and stays clear.  Also it can be wet sanded after a few days and buffed with regular car buffing compound to an excellent shine.

Tom

I love the loosely used term "set".   :D

I was so stuck on "one off's" knowing that I couldn't make two of anything alike that I told people that I don't do "sets".  It does my heart good to see you hold the hard line and make your own definitions.  I should have done that.  :D

Those glue-ups are difficult since they lead you to make different designs on newer bowls.  I always wanted to try one of them.  Charlie has done some glue-ups.  I have seen some done here locally that have some of the most intricate designs imaginable.  They can make you go crazy trying to figure out how the artist did it.  :)

jim king

Tom:

This mind is to old for those beautiful planned designs.  I just glue things together with not much of a plan.  I have posted this before but here it is again.  This Champagne cooler had several hundred peices , the whole thing from top to botton was peices.  The glue ups are very stable and no worry about warping with a climate or country change.

I am not a segmented turner , I only do glue ups.

metalspinner

Once again, Jim, that's beautiful work. :)

Our salad bowls are all different, too.  I love when my 7 year old runs to the kitchen screaming, "I want the sassafrass bowl!"

Early in our marriage, my wife would comment that the new piece of furniture I built didn't match the previous piece - even though I placed them right next to each other.

"Why didn't you try to make them match?" 

"They match because I made them," I said. ;)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

SwampDonkey

Nice Jim. I intend to try a glue up some day.  :)  I sure hope it's a long winter.  :D  Oops :-X
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

woodsteach

Great bowls and cooler Jim!!

If you have not visited Jim's gallery you are missing out on some great pix.

woodsteach
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

Don K

Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Thank You Sponsors!