iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Railroad tie info.........here ya go

Started by gator gar, April 25, 2011, 06:13:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gator gar

I have looked and looked for buyers of ties and from what I understand, Koppers is one of the biggest ties buyers in the world. You can look them up on the web. Also, the railway tie association will let you know all you need to know about a RR tie. You can find them under RTA.org. There are plenty of links to go with both websites. Have at it, all you want to be tie cutters. Seriously, there is alot of info to be had. Also, don't forget to go to your forrestry service web-site, there is a wealth of info there too.

tyb525

Thanks for the link, I've always wondered how one found contacts like that.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Don_Papenburg

You will soon have to be making your ties out of portland .  The rail line from Springfield to Bloomington, Ill. is almost complete with cement ties and welded continuos rail. It is for the slow speed "high speed " train .
Speeds of less than 120mph. Most stretches will end up at about 85/90 MPH.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

weisyboy

all the new lines in aus are cement or steel ties have been for years.

only ones who use wooden ties are the cane railroads.
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

tyb525

There are still a large amount of wood ties being used and produced. Cement ties are much more expensive and are usually reserved for the high-traffic and high-speed mainlines only.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

gator gar

I was re-assured today, that wooden ties will be around for awhile, from one of the main buyers in North Little Rock, Arkansas.

weisyboy

thats good to hear, im dubious as to how long the cement ties will last without cracking.
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

Jeff

I've heard that cement ties have already proven the inability to hold up as well as wooden ties do, but the new recycled plastic ties are almost indestructible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5pE39mJ8p8
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

fishpharmer

I wonder how plastic ties compare to wood ties in cost?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Jeff

I'd have to think the cost comparison would have to be determined over the life of the tie.  Will they last twice as long? If they do the tie could be twice the price and still be cost effective.

tyb525

Another thing to look at is the environmental impact vs wood. If they could be recycled and re-used cheaply they could be a viable alternative.

red oaks lumber

recycled ties don't have some wood preserve on them, making them more appealing in the long haul.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

cypresskayaksllc

Even though it is "recycled" it still comes from fossil fuels. Looks pretty good though. 
LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

Dan_Shade

with the creosote used in wooden ties, I'd be cautious of touting the "environmental advantage" of wood....
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

fishpharmer

Quote from: cypresskayaksllc on April 28, 2011, 10:39:43 PM
Even though it is "recycled" it still comes from fossil fuels. Looks pretty good though. 

Good point Cypresskayaksllc.

Since this is a forum about forests, sawmilling and wood products, for the record, I am against plastic railroad ties.

I feel better now.

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Ron Wenrich

My understanding is that the wooden ties have a certain amount of give to them.  The concrete and plastic ties would not.  Its one of the reasons they still use wood for railroad bridges.  Our rail system is mainly for hauling freight, not people; so, its a heavier train than passenger service.

Plastic and concrete would be good selections for transit lines.  I wonder how many water bottles it would take to make a plastic tie?
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Jeff

The recycled ties have plenty of give. Far more than wood. Check 4 minutes into the video clip for the testing phase of the ties.

QuoteSince this is a forum about forests, sawmilling and wood products, for the record, I am against plastic railroad ties.

They used to make refrigerators out of wood as well but I think I prefer our modern version.   Yes this is a Forestry Forum which also includes the ideals of wise use of a natural resource. If you can use a waste product to do the job more efficiently and free up that forest resource for other uses, that's a good thing.

fishpharmer

There's a lot I don't know.  Just seems like wooden ties have employed a lot of small sawmills and a few large ones as well, at least in my area.  One of the larger hardwood mills in this area remained solvent thru this bad economy solely producing wooden ties.   I would hate to see a few automated machines replace that industry (and it may never happen).   That is why I am against plastic ties.

Are plastic ties a good product and good idea?  Sure looks like it to me.  Doesn't mean I have to like them.

beenthere

Just my take, but any reconstituted product (be it wood fibers or chips extruded or pressed, or recycled plastic heated and molded) will have a tough time competing with solid wood. Only saw the four sides for a tie or a 2x6, and it is essentially done. No energy lost other than the saw blade's energy.

There has been, and will be, a myriad of products that will compete for wood but only time will tell if wood loses out.  I'm betting on wood, and more-so when energy costs get higher as we head off into our future. ;)

But good to see the attempts made, as with enough gov't support they might work. The steel industry, the concrete industry, and the plastics industry are all competing with wood (the simple product). 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

captain_crunch

not sure If the plant ever got going or not but they were going to extract the crude oil back from ground plastic. It was suspost to be high grade beings beings it was rifined once before. If this works it could make them ties very expencive
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

timerover51

I guess the other question is where are the plastic ties being made?  Here or overseas?  If here, how long will the jobs stay here?  Wooden railroad ties are going to be made here, using American labor.  An awful lot of your plastic products are being made in China.

tyb525

Despite the creosote used in Wood ties, there is only so much oil being made for plastic (I don't think a 100% recycles rate is possible)

Thank You Sponsors!