iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

rubber skid steer tracks

Started by OH logger, November 18, 2012, 12:47:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OH logger

has anyone tried the rubber skid steer tracks that go OVER your wheels?? i have the steel tracks that came with the bobcat but they are hard on cement and bouncy as all get out.  the rubber ones seem like they would be the answer for that and do just as good or better floating on mud. solideal makes some but they are pricy . any input would be great. thanks
john

barbender

I've never got to run one with OTT rubber tracks, but I have many hours with steel OTT. From what I understand, they give you more flotation but you have to be careful of rocks and debris, as they don't clean out as well. Your steel tracks should make your machine more stable, they add a lot of counterweight. They are like being on ice when you get on a hard surface though.
Too many irons in the fire

shelbycharger400

do you have the ability to put rubber pads on the steel bars? buy what I mean are the holes already drilled in the tracks.  I have seen this on a lot of heavy equipment that is used on asphalt and cement.

OH logger

thank you for the replies. i see your point about rocks getting in the tracks and causing havok. i like yoyr idea about bolting rubber pads on. i  will have to look at it tomorrow when i get to the job. i dont think there are any holes in the pads though. anything is doable but i will have to wait for some rain to take the time to do it. thanks agaian!!
john

Autocar

I had a 843 with steel tracks and the company I was working for felt that they should put rubber ones on sence Good Year was making them here. Once on it cut the capabilities of the machine I would set and spill on grass with frost on it. There probably are excellent on roads ect. but wet and slippery ground they didn't do so hot.
Bill

barbender

I think they both have their place, steel tracks were kind of fun on asphalt, spinning and sliding like you were on a dirt bike :) Steel tracks were good working gravel and clay, they were worthless in soft sand. So, in sand or really soft wet ground I can see rubber tracks working better.  If I was on concrete or asphalt I wouldn't want any tracks at all, there is no benefit to them there and tires are way cheaper.

240b

guy nearby had'em though it was great till they got full of mud which froze in them

barbender

Dave VH

I've used them quite a bit, they are great in the right situation.  If you're on solid surface alot, they will where out quickly.  In sand, and clay, they are second only to full tracks.
I cut it twice and it's still too short

cutter88

rubber tracks r great.. in the right place we tryed them in the landing was kind of rockey and cut off blocks everywere... they seem to wear out quick and chunks ripped out of them so we went back to steel
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

Al_Smith

Quote from: Autocar on November 20, 2012, 06:27:09 PM
I had a 843 with steel tracks and the company I was working for felt that they should put rubber ones on sence Good Year was making them here. 
Aha St Marys . ;)

Thank You Sponsors!