iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cant or peavy

Started by metalspinner, December 06, 2005, 11:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalspinner

Hello Everyone.
I am looking to purchase a new cant hook because my old one can't hook. ::) I am interested in the blue one on the left of my screen,  but don't understand the difference between a cant and a peavy.  Can somebody educate me?
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Tom

yep!

Lots of info on the forum about who likes which.  Use the search at the top of the page.

A canthook has a hook that swings and a foot that keeps it from sliding on the log.

A peavy has  a hook that swings and a spike (likened to a pike pole) at the end which is used to move logs in water, pry logs from piles and stick the peavy in the ground for storage.

Other than that, they are pretty much just a lever with a log hook on the end.

While it is definitely a personal preference, I think you will find that most sawmillers prefer a canthook.  Those that like the Peavy are adamant though.   You will find peavy's more prevalent around a logging operation.

The blue canthook/peavy that LogRite makes is special because it is aluminum, hooks good and has a lifetime guarantee.  Wood will eventually rot or break.  Aluminum won't.  They also offer sizes that are uncommon to the other canthook manufacturers.

thiggy

When I purchased my Baker mill, I inquired about a cant hook.  The Baker salesman said they had one, but he recommended the LogRite as a much better product.  It has been great for me.  The hook and point are sharp and get a bite in the log every time.
Sow your wild oats on Saturday night.  Sunday morning pray for crop failure!

Tom

QuoteI do not know if any of our sponsors sell parts.

Don't have to.  The logRite Logging tools are guaranteed for life.

That's kinda hard to beat, eh?  :D

solodan

Quote from: Tom on December 06, 2005, 11:39:31 PM

While it is definitely a personal preference, I think you will find that most sawmillers prefer a canthook.  Those that like the Peavy are adamant though.  

I agree with Tom.
It is a personal preference.
I am one of those who prefer a Peavy.
once I get a log moving I feel I can really keep the momentum up with the pushing of the spike. Also I like to dig the spike in the ground when jumping one end of the log forward to shift my approach angle.
just a personal preference.

Dan_Shade

generally speaking, you'll find that guys who have a bandsaw or circlesaw will prefer a cant hook, and guys who have swing mills will prefer a peavey.

peavey's are nice to maneuver logs around on the ground, because you can pry with it.  I think cant hooks are safer if you are rolling  a log up ramps.  a cant hook also will not get in the way as bad as a peavy when you are rolling cants on a sawframe.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

TN_man

Chris,
The one that I used at your place is a peavey. It works for most applications except on those "monster" logs you had ( 46"-50" oaks for other's sake). We need to purchase one of those Arky's Super Sticks to handle those.
Jeff
WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

Frank_Pender

I can have one shipped out to you right away.  Let me know. 8)
Frank Pender

Frickman

Why choose one or the other? Buy one of each from Logrite, or maybe two of each in different sizes. Just like there are different hammers for different jobs, there are different cant hooks and peavies for different jobs. At the mill right now there are four or five, and that many more in the shop.

When loading a big log on the carriage I use a peavy. I also use it to turn the log the first or second time. After the log is squared up some I switch to a cant hook. I have big hooks for big logs, and small hooks for smaller logs.

Remember, if someone is helping you saw, they'll need one too. You might as well buy one of each.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

metalspinner

Thanks to all who gave their opinion.
Frickman, you have a great point.  Both seem to have their place.  I think I will start with the peavy then add the hook a little later.  I am a log collector who hires you guy's  when I have a nice pile.  I think the peavy will do me just fine for the time being.
Again, Thanks!
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

twostroke_blood

Peavey is a man's last name,Joseph Peavey, from Vermont by the way, was the inventor of the modern day cant hook.  Peavey, is a brand name for a cant hook.

twostroke_blood

I stand corrected.  My cant hook is made by peavey mfg. co.  My Peavey is also made by Peavey, but its not a cant hook its a Peavey.  :D :D :D

treedog

Clegaux, don't throw away your not so good cant hook; i had 2 the same way, wouldn't hook in the log. i took cutting torch and cut below the hook from the inside almost all the way through and bent the hook out to angle that would hook and hold; then weld the crack up. Another one cut the hook off and made a hook from RR spike the way I wanted it & welded it back on the arm. Both are better than most new ones now, only cost me a little time and gas. I also have a 60" peavey I use on bigger logs on the mill- the tip works great for sticking in the mount frame for the leveling jacks and prying log back over to the holding arms after flipping. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!