iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

weather pages

Started by redpowerd, July 26, 2004, 06:54:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redpowerd

do any of you folks out there get their weather off the internet?
ive been using noaa and the national weather services web pages, theyre good, but arent very complete.
just wondering of diffrent sources on weather that i can get here on the internet.
thanks ;)
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

moeman10

weatherunderground.comor intellicast.com The former has a better forecast the latter has a better radar. Either one just enter your zip and when it comes up bookmark it.

Haytrader

I use weather.com which is the weather channel.
I liked another site but it let creepy crawleys get in yer puter.
This'n is pretty good.
Haytrader

Roxie

For twenty dollars a year with weather.com, you get gold weather which let's you customize your radar and doppler map and no advertisements!  When your livelihood depends on keeping an eye on the sky, it's handy.   :)
Say when

redpowerd

yep, rained last night on about 60 acres of down timothy/alfalfa. i wouldnt have cut it if the national weather service hadnt said "sun" all week.
guess im just looking for a more reliable source.
i thought the weather people get their weather from NWS?
they get it, then modify it a bit, forcast it, and call themselves meterologists. ;)

thanks for the replys
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

OneWithWood

I find that I can forecast fairly well by just looking at the regional and national loops of dopplar radar on NWS.  If I really want to refine my guess I look at the isobars also.  My forecast is limited to today and tomorrow.  There are too many variable to get out much beyond a day or two reliably.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Frickman

I use weather.com quite a bit. Their TV channel drives me nuts, all they talk about is going to the beach, golfing, and other recreational activities. They never mention how the weather affects working people and businesses. We have some local TV weather that's pretty good. Mostly I watch where the warm and cold fronts and high and low pressure systems are and make up my own mind. I make hay too, so I have to figger out the weather three days from now. I never rely on the National Weather Service. I think they're the government, and I haven't ever seen the government do many things right.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Ron Wenrich

There's also http://wwwa.accuweather.com  They're based in State College, PA and provide service for lots of radio stations and businesses.  If you pay for the service, it can be customized.  

A lot of times their forecast is different from NWS or weather.com.  

To be considered successful, weathermen only have to be right 80% of the time.   :)
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

L. Wakefield

Does anyone remember 'AM Weather'? It aired back in the 80s, and was the BEST for farming and flying. I think it was NOAA. But they had a bead on those 2 activities. and they just did it right. I rarely got caught- and that was 80's technology too.  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

redpowerd

my tractors have 6 channels of weather.
weatherband mabie?
im pretty sure its run by noaa.
anyway, i cant get a one. must be a mid-west privelage.

noaa has a very complete website, but i can never find the jet stream, to aid in my own forcasting ;)
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

D._Frederick

Redpower,

Was wondering how your 60 acre of hay is doing? Do you use a crimper or roller to crush it when you cut it?  We have had a good year here to make hay, not any rain since May.

Roxie

Hmmmm.  Seems to me if you want it to rain, all you have to do is call Redpower or me to come cut some Timothy Hay!  Peers to me...it's guaranteed!!   :D  We would normally be doing 3rd cut hay this far into the season, but we're still waiting to get 4 days of dry weather for 2nd cut!  Alfalfa is starting to rot from the bottom up, it's been so wet.  Feels like we've been transported to Seattle in some kind of weather warp!   :D  
What're you going to do Red?  
Say when

Furby

Red, our local weather ALWAYS used the jet stream on their maps, up until a couple of years ago. Now it's a real rare case to see the jet stream on the local weather.  :-/

redpowerd

roxie, you guys are gettin ALL the rain! were on second ready to cut third real soon. most of the feild got bailed, 150 some round bales and about 1000 square. all in one day, thats the way you have to do it with the rain

d_fred: the mower has rubber chevron rollers that both crimp and crush. really dries fast when its tight as possible without plugging. its a gehl diskbine. no more changing sections!!

how much hay do you folks put in?
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

bennelson

in the upper midwest the chicago tribune weather page has done me wonders.  Radar updated frequently they anit done me wrong yet.  Maby the times or something like it your way would help.

Roxie

We put up about 60 acres and then we do custom work for another 40.  We lost about 10 cut acres last month due to rain.  The only thing we could do was to sell it to the Amish at about a third of it's value.  They bag it for silage.  I've never seen a summer like this one, and I can't believe we are still waiting to get in for 2nd cut.  We've dusted off the cut-conditioner and we're going in the second it looks like we could get 4 clear days!  :D  The flip side of our situation is that the auction's are loaded with heifers, so we've been running our tail off getting them hauled.  Most farmers around these parts are lightening the load they plan to feed this winter.  We're going to hang tough and add about nine more heifers to our herd.  Speculation on our part....but if we get a dryer September and October, we just might make it, and those heifers are going to be real valuable come spring!   8)
Say when

Thank You Sponsors!