iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logosol Kiln

Started by crtreedude, January 11, 2010, 06:38:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crtreedude

I am considering buying a Logosol Kiln. http://www.logosol.com/kiln/sauno-kiln/ The larger one would be very nice for drying for the shop, currently we send away to a large kiln 3,000 or so BF at a time. And when we need more, just buy another and stagger them.

It seems to me that Logosol is a good company from what I have heard, and I like their description of the product.

What should I be considering? (i.e. other possibilities) And what do you think?
So, how did I end up here anyway?

red oaks lumber

i might be somewhat biased but, i like nyle kilns they are dehumidificaton very easy on the wood also very easy to learn to operate. nyle is a u.s.a. company making kilns for a very long time, just another drier to check out.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Dan_Shade

it looks cheap enough.  I wonder how well it works.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

jdtuttle

I asked the same question on this thread. Hopefully I did this right ;D. After alot of research I'm leaning toward the Nyle L200.
jim
General Forestry / Drying and Processing / Re: Sauno Kiln
Have a great day

scsmith42

Quote from: crtreedude on January 11, 2010, 06:38:19 AM

What should I be considering? (i.e. other possibilities) And what do you think?

Fred, I concur that Logosol is a good company.  As far as what else you should consider, two thoughts come to mind.

First, many high end woodworkers shun wood that has been dried in a high temperature kiln.  The general consensus is that it is more brittle and difficult to work, and that the colors are not as vibrant as "air dried" wood. Well respected master woodworkers such as James Krenov are big proponents of AD wood.

Second, DH kilns produce an end product that is similar to AD wood, yet has all of the benefits of KD (control of the drying process and sterilization).  Thus, using a DH kiln may offer you a competitive marketing advantage.

Third, Nyle is a leading producer of DH kilns, and they are a great company to work with.  Just about all of their customers rave about them, and that says a lot.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Larry

Seems to be a mix of science and myth.  How do they steam at a temperature of 70 degrees C?  2,000 watts for the small one and 4,000 watts for the big one...essentially a milk barn heater or two wired to a thermostat, with a small fan.  Put Harold to work and I bet he could come up with something a whole lot better.

I would like to believe as the price is nice, but this one seems a little implausible.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

crtreedude

Thanks all. I will do a bit of research into the Nyle 200 as well.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

jdtuttle

I called Logosol & they sent me this additional information. The process starts with a couple inches of water in the bottom of the kiln & you steam the lumber bringing the temp up 160 deg. Fahrenheit for 4 or 5 days. Then you turn it down to 120 degrees for a few weeks until dry. I have no experience with kilns & am ready to purchase so with all the choices out there it can be confusing. There are lots of trade offs with price & quality. I asked for some names from Logosol kiln owners so I can talk with them directly. Below is one of the web sites with more info.
jim
http://www.plano.se/GB/engelska.html
Have a great day

Thank You Sponsors!