iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Why set up spacers when stacking wood?

Started by JBritt, April 12, 2010, 04:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBritt

I have noticed in everyone's picks, when they are stacking their milled wood they are putting wood spacers in between the pieces of lumber.  Why is this?  Is it so the wood can dry?  Still new here, so bare with me on the moronic questions.  :-[

Bibbyman

You got it. 

Without the space to let air circulate, the wood will mold and stain and eventually rot.   This process will start in a matter of a few days in hot, humid conditions.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Dave Shepard

That's not a moronic question. Nobody should be afraid to ask any question here. ;) Well, if you ask if you should take up grit eating as a hobby, you're on your own. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

JBritt

Quote from: Dave Shepard on April 12, 2010, 04:18:31 PM
That's not a moronic question. Nobody should be afraid to ask any question here. ;) Well, if you ask if you should take up grit eating as a hobby, you're on your own. :D

Hahaha! I am not sure what you mean by grit, I'm thinking that is a northern term for dirt...but we do eat grits down here in Ga.  No I'm not afraid, just don't want to tarnish the craft.  Didnt have a father growing up so I've never had anyone to teach me mechanics or any type of trade.  My new father in law is working with me though.  He always has weird expressions on his face sometimes when I ask questions.  Then when I think about what I asked it makes me wonder as well.  He always asks "how does someone with two college degrees not know how to figure out angles?" I always say "I skipped school that day SIR!"

thecfarm

They are called stickers and are an inch square for the most part.You want them all the same size too.Don't want some a ΒΌ wider or thinner.Don't want crooked lumber right from the start.These should really be dried too.Not the best idea to saw stickers and and use them on the lumber you are sawing.I think most stack their piles not much wider than 6 feet to allow the air to circulate through the pile better.Use a GOOD foundation to stack lumber on and I think most will have a sticker over each foundation piece so the lumber will dry straight.If you can not have it drying under cover some will cover the pile with old steel roofing.Don't cover with a tarp or canvas.This will just keep the moisture in.I'm no expect on this.I'm sure others will step in to help out too.
About grit,he meant grits.Even though you eat grits I will still help you.   ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

JB, The only "dumb" question is an "unasked" question.  I admire you for asking......and, I eats grits too.... food6
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sigidi

Down under we don't eat grits either :D

But as far as stickers go, we only use them sometimes; if the timber is to be structural and is hardwood we tend not to use them. If the timber is a known stainer - like hoop pine, then we cut it and sticker it ASAP, if the timber is going to end up as flooring or decking we do sticker it and also solid wide bark to bark slabs we sticker them too.
Always willing to help - Allan

Dave Shepard

I use the term grit so that I won't be confused with a legitimate consumer of said corn parts. ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WDH

Quote from: Dave Shepard on April 12, 2010, 07:57:04 PM
I use the term grit so that I won't be confused with a legitimate consumer of said corn parts. ;)

The grits bashers awake with the onset of spring  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dave Shepard

I did not bash the grits. I only wanted to make sure I was not confused with a true aficionado, such as yourself. ;) :)

ljmathias

Nothing wrong with grits- the dogs love em...   ;D

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Magicman

You've got some "high class" dogs, Lj.   Must be "registered" ....... :D :D :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mcfcfan

Can you guys please tell me what  "grits"  actually is, I know it is something to do with corn :) :)
Thanks
Lee
Life isn't about how to survive the storm,
but how to dance in the rain."

WDH

Grits hijack!

They are ground corn, like polenta, which are the high class grits of the high class.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ljmathias

I guess I've been in the South long enough now to qualify as a "da*n Yankee," so I'll let you in the secret: grits are ground up corn alright, but it's a special corn, selected over the years to have absolutely no taste whatsoever.  This allows the cook and/or end-user (whatever species that happens to be) to flavor in any way desired without interfering flavors from the basic ingredient.  Variants on corn-based products are high fructose corn syrup and corn starch.  All of these products have high calorie content but low nutritional value.

Do I eat grits myself?  Only when good manners force me to as a guest.  Kinda of like cream of wheat- keep it on the shelf so when you're totally out of food that tastes good, you have something to eat...  :-*

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

AvT

These forums are so great... I am in northern Alberta Canada and have had an internet friend from Georgia send me a lttle bag of grits once.  I LOVED THEM!

Anyway. I love this forum so much that I am seriously thinking of getting a bandsawmill and a firewood processor so i can fit in a bit better,,,, haha
Wannabe sawyer, Cord King M1820 firewood processor Palax KS35 Ergo firewood Processor, 5403 John Deere, Bunch of other farm equipment,   LT70 Remote Woodmizer.  All good things but the best things in life are free.. If you don't believe me.. hold your breath for 2 minutes

ljmathias

Man, it  must be lonely up Alberta way if you're willing to spend that kind of money just to fit in here... wish I was up to the honor, but fortunately, there are a lot of people here who are.  So join in- you really don't have to spend the money to buy your own mill, just find someone else who has one and help out till he or she lets you saw on your own... oh, and then you'll HAVE to buy one! :D

Lj

r.man

I'm surprised that nobody came up with," there are no stupid questions, just stupid answers.", which I think is quite right. Never hurts to ask but sometimes hurts to not ask. Your always welcome and always welcome to ask. I especially like fairly easy questions because I might be able to help someone instead of the other way around. If you chance to see commercial stickers they are shaped to allow better airflow and to minimize the contact area between the lumber and the stick. An 8 ft long pile might have as few as three or as many as 5 depending on species, thickness, grade, end use and the amount of time the lumber will be in that pile before it is handled again.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

mad murdock

Quote from: ljmathias on April 13, 2010, 07:14:37 PM
Nothing wrong with grits- the dogs love em...   ;D

Lj
DanG, that must be why I itch so much;) I must be a dog, cause I love Grits!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

WDH

Quote from: AvT on April 15, 2010, 01:37:50 PM
These forums are so great... I am in northern Alberta Canada and have had an internet friend from Georgia send me a lttle bag of grits once.  I LOVED THEM!

Anyway. I love this forum so much that I am seriously thinking of getting a bandsawmill and a firewood processor so i can fit in a bit better,,,, haha

AvT,

I like your moxy.  You will fit in real well here.

Lud

You haven't had grits until you've had my wife's cheese grits!  Particularly if you get the Mexican Breakfast casserole, sliced taters and onions and stickybuns.

'course I only get that once a year............ :) :)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

davidlarson

Speaking of grits -
I was born and raised north of the Mason-Dixon line, but I have lived in North Carolina since 1973, and have been trying my best to become a southerner.  The cafeteria where I used to work (I retired in February) served an excellent southern-style breakfast, which usually included grits.  Sometimes they would offer a chocolate syrup to put on the grits -- maybe if I live in the South a few more years I'll be able to handle that. 
My wife and I live in rural western North Carolina, but sometimes she'll persuade me to visit Asheville, our nearest big city -- and the last time we were there we went to a restaurant that served Cuban food (and was run by a man from Columbia.)  My meal included grits, served Cuban style --  and it was so good that I believe I'll become converted, if Cuban grits count for anything.

David L.

WDH

While on a fishing trip to the Outer Banks last November, a friend of mine made shrimp and grits that were indescribably good.  You have to start out with a roux.

backwoods sawyer

Why set up spacers when stacking wood?
Well it don't help with keeping the grit out of the unit.
I would rather eat corn grits then walnut grit.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

ljmathias

Backwoods: you trying to bring this thread back on-topic?  When food is concerned? Good luck!

Ludd: sounds like a breakfast you SHOULD eat only once a year.  Wow, got my stomach growling for breakfast just reading about it.... :)

Lj

Thank You Sponsors!