iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Slate floor finish

Started by GAV64, March 24, 2006, 05:55:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAV64

does any one have a good, low maintenance floor finish for a natural slate floor. It is in the basement laundry/mud room and gets alot of traffic from muddy shoes, snowy boots and dirty dogs. In hte upstairs  foyer i used a waterborne sealer and it looked great! until someone left a wet shoe on it
and it turned it white. thanks glenn.

etat

I've sprayed a LOT of chimneys and while I was doing it sprayed back patios that were bricked with just regular old Thompson's Water Seal.  The bricks on the chimneys to help keep water from wicking through them or the mortar,  and the bricks on the decks or patios to help keep dust down and make them easier to clean.  Usually this has been on new houses.  While it probably wouldn't last forever on a floor, its easy to apply with a pump up sprayer, and won't turn white as it is not water based like some sealers are.  I imagine it would work for the slate about the same as bricks.  You wouldn't want to spray real heavy coats, just a couple of real light coats or you might wind up with a gummy looking mess.  I've seen that happen on wood when somebody would just keep soaking it down and use way too much.  Also it might make them a bit slippery when they are wet. 
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

sprucebunny

I researched stone and tile sealers awhile ago and bought a petroleum based product from these people

http://www.aldonchem.com/whse-et103.htm

It soaks in to stone well but I don't try too hard to keep the area (around the woodstove) very clean so I can't say if water marks will show.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

IMERC

Glaze and Seal solvent based Stain Defense stone and grout sealer...

got no webb link but there's this..

1-800-486-1414

Rachel would be glad to help with any questions ya got...

this is some 1st rate product... I use in residentual and commercial applications... about as bullet proof as you can get...
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

ely

i painted the slate around a swimming pool black, it was epoxy paint. man you talk about slick around a pool woah. that was in the back of the mary k mansion in dfw someplace. the boss tried to talk them out of it but in the end money talks. any how we got paid to paint it and i think he got paid again to go back and make it not so slick after a few mishaps. :D

Thank You Sponsors!