iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Who can identify this shrub

Started by Don K, June 18, 2007, 08:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don K

While we were at Colonial Williamsburg today, we saw a flowering shrub that we would like to plant in our yard at home. I could find no one that knew what it was called. Can anyone help?

Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Tom

I'm wondering if this might be a pomegranate with imature fruit.

Phorester

Tom got it.  It be a pomegranate.

Don K

Might be, but this doesn't look like the pomegranite trees I saw at Tifton GA. The leaves on those trees were much larger and grew much like any other fruit tree.  I failed to give any thing for size comparison but these leaves are small and the flowers are the size of golf balls. Everywhere I saw them they were used a row shrub along fences much as redtop, camellias, and such shrubs are used.

Could be a variety I've never seen. ???   I would really love to identify species and variety name. I want some of these.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Don K

Tom and Phorester were right.  ;D ;D ;D I found a book on the plants of Williamsburg and there it was. It is a different variety than I saw in GA. Now I've just got to find a place to get some from and see if it will survive in my zone.

Don

Radar67

Don, slip over to one and take a few cuttings, wrap them in a wet paper towel or rag and go get a bag of potting soil. Stick them in the dirt through a bag and bring'em home.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

WDH

Just don't do it with a long black trench coat on with a stocking over your head  :D. 

Saunter over like your examining the flower for a compound pistil or for fused stamens and surreptitiously extract a sample.  If challenged, say you are looking for signs of the Emerald pomegranate borer since you heard it is ubiquitous to the area ;D :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Texas Ranger

You boys in Georgia have a habit of wearing stockings over your heads, and long black trench coats?  And I thought the sun in Texas was bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WDH

Only those from South Georgia :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don K

I am going on a tour with a gardener from Williamsburg tomorrow. I will check on a supplier for nursery stock. If I can't find a source, then I will go native and pull out the long coat and tricorn hat. :D

Don

Thank You Sponsors!