iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help Identifying Tree Stand

Started by tomboysawyer, July 30, 2007, 11:12:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomboysawyer

I have a stand of these trees - about 6 of them - between 50' and 80' tall. 12" - 24" in diameter. They are growing in a stone wall on my property and there are some babies scattered about nearby, but the babies only seem to grow more than a year or two if they have been given clearing.

One of the gnarliest trees of the bunch - also one of the smaller mature trees.

The bark of the lower trunk on a full grown tree.

A cluster of leaves from the full grown tree.

I think this is one of the babies - closeup of top of leaf:

Closeup of underside of leaf:

It is difficult to find a leaf on one of these trees - baby or adult - which has not be eaten to swiss cheese by bugs. Other trees on our property are not so holey.

I keep trying to pin it to one of the trees in my North American tree book, and nothing really fits. I'm located in Southwestern Vermont (about 5 miles from New York and Massachusetts).

These adult trees are grown in a stone wall that up until about 30 years ago separated a tilled field and sheep grazing pasture. They seem to only exist in a 50' diameter cluster. There are no other trees like this within 30 acres.

OneWithWood

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Dodgy Loner

I second OWW.  Tilia americana.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Ron Scott

~Ron

Greg

Brian Beauchamp

I disagree...I think it's American Linden

:D ;D 8) ;D :D ::)

SwampDonkey

No, I think it's American Lime Tree.  8)

Well, that's what it's called in Europe.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

It definitely is not troutwood ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!