iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need help identifying wood by bark

Started by CTwoodsman, March 27, 2018, 09:20:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CTwoodsman

Hi all. Great forum.

I was looking for help in identifying  a piece of wood. I'm sure it will be simple for some but I'm still learning. Thanks

Weekend_Sawyer

Looks like Virginia pine at first glance.
but that's a little north for it.
what do the needles look like?

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

isawlogs

It looks like scotch pine or red pine to me.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

CTwoodsman

Never saw any needles, it was dropped off in log form

If it's pine, that's enough info for me. Embarrassed to admit that I was trying to find maple. I know I have some in my pile. Thanks for the help

Ianab

Should be able to ID "pine" by it's smell, pretty distinctive, or at least completely different to any hardwood I've even smelt. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

isawlogs

Can you get a pic of the end grain???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

CTwoodsman

SwampDonkey

Bark looks like our local black cherry bark to me. The ends should darken up as they oxidize. Split off a slab, should go pinkish in away from the sapwood. Any sign of black gum or jelly like gum in the bark? Sometimes they get burl growths from black knot disease.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DPatton

I'm no seasoned pro at identifying wood species from the bark so take my input with a grain of salt. 
   When I look at that last end grain photo I see that thin long strip of bark peeling back at the bottom of the pic I think Maple. When I look at the thickness of the bark layer and way that bark is starting to separate from the inner wood I also think Maple.
   Just my two cents worth (probably worth less than that).
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

SwampDonkey

Certainly red maple bark can be similar, but not sugar maple. I find sugar maple bark has many layers stacked to make the furrowed bark and red maple is more of a thin fleck where you can often see rings in it. But so doesn't black cherry.

cherry

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

CTwoodsman

between the bark and wood, there was that very thin layer of brown, stingy material that I sometimes find when splitting wood but not on all types.

CTwoodsman

This is what the wood actually looks look.

SwampDonkey

Is there any sort of pink hue? If not, it is probably red maple.

CTwoodsman

I would say no to the pink hue. Why, what would you think it was if there was?

I really appreciate the help, everyone. 

SwampDonkey

Quote from: CTwoodsman on March 29, 2018, 04:11:42 PM
I would say no to the pink hue. Why, what would you think it was if there was?

I really appreciate the help, everyone.
Cherry.

Some pictures are hard to tell anything, they are over exposed and white washed. ;D

DPatton

CT, 

Can you get us a better picture? I'm with SD those pics are not the best. Are those sanded smooth pieces of that same piece of wood?
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

WDH

It is maple, most likely silver maple.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

I would think CT would have lots of red maple to. Probably grows with the sugar maple as well like it does here on some sites. Red maple is not restricted to the low lands. It's more of a generalist, not much of a site indicator. I'd never see a silver maple on a ridge top in these parts, just river bottoms and islands. ;D

WDH

Could be red maple or silver maple.  The bark looks more like silver maple, but it could be either. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Some red maple bark on different sized trees (or various ages) at the bottom in this link.

Red Maple (Acer rubrum var. rubrum)

isawlogs

That is maple, wether it be red or silver , still maple !! :P

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Not much difference when it's used for firewood or lumber really. ;D

CTwoodsman

I made a cutting board out of it so just knowing it's maple is good enough for me. 

Went for a hike yesterday and couldn't help but try to identify the trees by their bark using tools I've learned from this site

Thanks everyone

isawlogs

Very easy to be mislead by bark alone ;)   :P

Marcel

WDH

SwampDonkey

I find the local silver maple bark comes off in really long scaly strips, could be 2 feet long. Older trees are quite messy on the lawn from shedding bark. Red maple short strips or flecks.

bitternut

I see that several seem to think that tree would likely be silver maple. I don't don't have any silver maple in my woods but I do have some black birch. I think it might be black birch. Put a hunk of it in the wood stove with a hunk of know silver maple and you will soon have your answer. Looks different than my cherry and red maple too. Some twigs or leaves would be a big help for sure.

Thank You Sponsors!