iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Considering engine replacement

Started by kelLOGg, July 15, 2017, 09:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ox

The cure for all carburetor related illnesses is a fuel shutoff valve that is used to run the carb dry of fuel religiously every time one shuts the engine down.  Of course, this isn't required if the engine is used every single day, but for more than a week shutdown it should be run dry just to be safe.  Most small engines today don't have the shutoff valves on them anymore.  I've installed these valves on everything I own and between this and using non ethanol gas I've solved every single engine problem I've had.  All my engines now start on the first or second pull after opening the valve after a long winter sitting.  It's truly a thing of beauty. 

Just sharing what's worked for us and maybe it'll help at least one other person.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

FloridaMike

My 2016 GX630 20.8 hp Honda has been verified through Honda Small Engine Product Registration as a valid SN that was manufactured in China.  Just the facts Ma'am!
Mike

kelLOGg

Mike, that source is good to know about. Thanks.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

kelLOGg

I'm updating this post because the compression fell dramatically last week (to 50 psi) causing rpm drop to 3000 when sawing 8" dia cedar. Deciding on a replacement for my 16 HP Kohler engine required far more evaluation then I expected. I bandied about between Honda and Kohler evaluating price, shipping cost, physical dimensions, shaft diameter and length, bolt pattern, etc. I am strongly leaning to a 20HP Honda GX633 even though the muffler will collide with part of the mill when the band is raised to about 26". I figure a muffler shop can add and bend exhaust pipe less than 2" to avoid this. What do you think?
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

kelLOGg

The Honda it is. I finally replaced the original engine. All that remains to be done is attach a vertical tailpipe to the muffler.

Hilltop366

Thank You Sponsors!