iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

353 detroit oil pan gasket

Started by David-L, July 03, 2013, 09:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David-L

Got my new to me 225D ,1978 with the large bell type planetaries and very straight with low hrs.  Starts and runs good but there is a decent oil leak up front of the motor. Dosen't seem to be leaking from around the lower crank pulley. Could it be a bad oil pan gasket from sitting more than running. Anyone ever experience this. Guess I should pull the pans in that area and investigate. Can I change it from the bottom, motor in the machine. Nice to here the screamer again. I will post some pics soon. Thanks.

David L
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

John Woodworth

Start by pulling the belly pan and cleaning everything good so you can start it and watch it whyle running for leaks. Could be the pan is loose or has a crack or hole worn in it from rubbing on something. As far as pulling the pan depending on the configeration of your bellypan poening you should have plenty of room and is a simple task. Also check that the oil isn't comming from the Airbox drain usually at the back of block behind the starter, you will se a tube comming from the Airbox down the side of the block (some engines had the drain at front of block) drainiage there is normal, comes from oil building up in Airbox from ideling too much.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

David-L

Thanks John Woodworth,
I am thinking the same, I have already tightened A few things around the motor area that were loose. The machine has 3660 hrs and I do beleive them to be original as the controls, reverser and highand low controls are tight as new. I paid quite a bit but know once it is sorted out it will be worth it. Really want to get to know these engines better as the last one was a Duetz and somewhat expensive to work on. The last 353 I had in a 230a was better on fuel than the Duetz. Thanks for your help and I will be breaking out the power washer this weekend.

David L

logman81

Congrats on the new TJ, gotta love the Detroits. Looking forward to seeing pics of it.
Precision Firewood & Logging

David-L

Logman81,

Will be in Matunuck tomorrow for a short visit, are you close buy and is your skidder around. The risers have no bends and not a weld on it anywhere. Story is a came from CT. I am pretty sure it sat more than anything. The owner ran it occasionally to keep it juiced up.
                                              David

Nemologger

I had an oil leak up front like that, turned out to be the front main seal. An easy fix though, I  just removed the hydraulic pump and went in from the front. Yeah do check the pan bolts for tightness too.
Clean and Sober

logman81

Skidder looks good, I will not be around going to CT for a party I'm the the designated cook this year. Will catch up some other time.
Precision Firewood & Logging

Doug mclean

That is a nice 225 i remember it from Craig's list awhile back from the ag tires on the front. When I was selling my 440a guy from NH called me wanted to trade a clark after talking with him for bit hesaid he bought that 225from a friend that bought it in CT he said he wouldn't part with the 225 or the 208 he had and I was selling the 440 to buy a timberjack so no clark for me but any way maybe you will get luckie and the oil pan bolts are loose well good luck with the 225

David-L

Doug,
Thats the one. Those tires on front are old school forestry tires and are 10 ply. they still look ok and I will use them. Did you buy a Jack up in Wendell?

David

Doug mclean

Well good they should hold up well then and yes I bought the TJ from my good friend in Wendell I tryed to buy it years ago before he bought it.That was probly a good thing, he bought it woods ready and it was far from that. I had to do a little work to it but I new what I was getting into and couldn't be more happier with the TJ sure beats the 440a.

Stephen Alford

Looks like a keeper. Should last you a long time.  You probably already know this but just in case someone new to the 353 reads this just wanted to mention the fire risk spot between the manifold and the engine.  I have an extinguisher on board but as a cheaper backup I carry a garden sprayer with a mix of dish soap and water.  Works good to flush that area once things have cooled down. Good luck with your new Jack.

logon

loggah

Pulling the oil pan down can be a PITA as it will only go by the cradle and differential one way!! make sure to shellac the gasket to the pan or use thread to tie it in place before trying to put the pan back on. ;D Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

bushmechanic

Pull your pans down and look for the leak it is most likely one of the remote engine oil filter lines as they get hard and start leaking.

David-L

Hi everyone, Lots of good advice ( THANKS ) and will be digging into it to take a look. Been haying since Wednesday and it is hot and humid here in the low 90's in central mass. This is the first flat top Jack as the others were A's with the raised hood. Kinda like this style as vis seems a bit better. I actually can't believe I got this lucky to find one this straight. I love this forum.

David-l

Thank You Sponsors!