iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pushing the snow back

Started by thecfarm, March 22, 2014, 07:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Not something that I thought would have to be done on March 21

Town came up the road and pushed back the snow banken to make room for more.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

Same thing happened here last week!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

Awful thing to be doing at this time of year.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Delawhere Jack

I hates me some snow!!!  smiley_devil

We're near record snow totals for the year here in DE, about 30 miles south of Philly. The saving grace is that it's only come 6-8 inches at a time......over and over and over and over again.... :-\

A buddy of mine, a guy who used to be my manager at work emailed me Tuesday. Turns out he moved to Fargo ND two years ago........ Sucks to be him! :D :D :D

chevytaHOE5674

Our snowbanks have been pushed back about 6 or 8 times now and they will probably do them again once more so that when they melt the water will run into the ditch instead of onto the road surface.

thecfarm

Which ditch? They graded the road,it's dirt,and cut it down about 4 inches below the ditch. After it washed out in front of my driveway for the 3 time,I cut the road down level with the ditch, did not wash out again. They use to run up the road with some nice gravel every year. Times are tough. They tried some so called reclaim tar. But there was so much gravel in it,that did not work. At least they are trying.

chevytaHOE5674

If a road was built around here close to the existing grade, without 5'+ of fill it would only be usable a month or two in the late summer and then in the winter, so instead of digging down and adding fill they just toss the fill on top, this means most of our roads are built up quite a bit over the existing grade.

My road is paved and is 3-5' higher than my fields in most places so that means we have plenty big ditches to fill in with snow.

Mooseherder

My brother sent me a picture of the snowbank blocking our driveway up there.
The ditch is about 4 foot deep so the bank is close to ten foot deep.

Looks like they are getting some more to add to the pile.

SwampDonkey

They cleaned culverts here last week for the first time in 5 years. Then it snowed ever since. This last snow only dumped 2", I was out the door at 5:00 am having a peek. Nice starry sky with the moon out. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

snowstorm

they shelf it so they have room for more and so it melts in the ditch. its also easier on the truck and wing. not so many rocks to hit and it isnt frozen quite as bad. on narrow roads one bank will be higher than the other. coming in both plows are full  going out only one

SwampDonkey

At daylight it began snowing again.  ;D :snowball:

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Peter Drouin

I went around and push all the snow back , And open the driveway in front of the house too . Now I have room I'm not going to wait for spring  ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

coxy

chuck how much snow is up there yet

Dave Shepard

Not much snow left on the level here. Just the snow piles left where we pushed it up off the driveways. More under the trees at the edges of the fields.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Chuck White

Quote from: coxy on March 23, 2014, 05:38:59 PM

In the woods, there's about 3-4 inches above the knees!

Makes me glad we have lots more pipeline than buckets!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Billbob

Quote from: Chuck White on March 23, 2014, 05:59:25 PM

That's about what we have here too, Chuck.  I think it's going to be one of those years where , in June, you find little patches of snow in the woods hidden here and there under the small spruce trees.
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

SwampDonkey

That's just normal for out in Deersdale and Napadogan. See it every year. :)

GAB

Billbob wrote: "I think it's going to be one of those years where , in June, you find little patches of snow in the woods hidden here and there under the small spruce trees."
In the spring of '79 I was in N. Dak and saw a sign that read Indian Snows Apache here and Apache there.  Is that what they were referring to?  Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Chuck White

Quote from: Billbob on March 23, 2014, 06:18:01 PM
Quote from: Chuck White on March 23, 2014, 05:59:25 PM

That's about what we have here too, Chuck.  I think it's going to be one of those years where , in June, you find little patches of snow in the woods hidden here and there under the small spruce trees.

Don't know if I've seen it in Jun, but I know I've seen it in late May!

Either way, it wouldn't surprise me!

SwampDonkey

I usually venture out to Deersdale on the last week of May and there is always snow in the ditches where there is shade.  :) Someone was out there 2 weeks ago and said the road was never plowed most of the winter from the Clearwater stream onward.

Ed

County motorgrader came through last week, did the same thing.

It's done to get the snow back over into the ditch to prevent flooded roads instead of making room for more snow.

In some spots, he set the wing plow into the ditch and shoved the snow back into the field to let the ditch melt off first.

Ed

SwampDonkey

Yes, as Ed says. Otherwise the roads would be iced over at night from freezing run-off. They clean the culverts to, not just push back. That's what they do here at least. And it's only done near the culverts, not all the way down the road.

isawlogs

Here we wing the snowbanks back to make room for any further storms. Some cottage roads are in need of being winged back, we are  hoping the sun comes out and the snow will melt away. Was -18°C this morning, hard to get snow to melt and don't even think of maple sap.   :-\

Mesquite....  SEND SOME   smiley_sun smiley_peace
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

When it closes in bad, they have to use the grader here with a blower.  I've seen big plows as big as anywhere not able to push much in those hard springtime banks. The cleaning here is with pay loaders. It narrows here just above the house and the plow can't wing that denser stuff nowhere.

chevytaHOE5674

Here is what the snowbanks look like on my road today after they have been winged back a few times and melted a little bit... Bank is about the same height as the top of the side windows. Road is about 3' higher than the surrounding field in this spot.

Thank You Sponsors!