iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Burning the frame. Preparing for rising...

Started by nebruks, May 13, 2012, 04:50:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nebruks

Wished to share with you some of my latest modified traditional Japanese Shou-sugi-ban (焼杉板) wood burning methods applied on my upcoming timber frame and log construction union. I am working with rough sawn spruce that I have been harvested by my own 2 years ago in winter time. I have made all the joinery and before putting it all together I am doing following.... As I am, if I can say that - a "surface addict", I wished to make my frame look rustic and more medieval. So the question of the surface is the question of the feelings you can get when entering in any house or barn. So impressed by Japanese Shou-sugi-ban I decided to burn all the frame with a gas flame, take the burnt surface between the fibers out with a simple hand wire brush and finally treat it with hot linseed oil. And I got two things - the surface I wished to see and a natural treatment for longevity that fire and linseed oil did. I will be rising up only the sills and posts, then will come hand hewn log infill and only after that I will be putting up girts and rafters. Will post some progress shots here. So here you can see the pictures from my work site with my wood burning experience.

"Burn the frame, before you rise it..."

samandothers

Interesting looking finish.   Oil sure does cause the water to bead.  I look forward to following your progress!

AMB30518

I like the dark look too.
Did you add something to the linseed oil to darken it also?
I bet it would make a nice frame contrast with some clean light colored tongue & groove ceiling and walls.
Thanks for sharing and I'll look for updates too.
I did some chainsaw milling, learning sketchup & timber framing for home projects but not an expert..... I learn as I go and go as I learn.

Aaron

nas

That is cool 8)  I might have to try it on some timbers.  I bet it will give a unique smell to the frame too.
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Brad_bb

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

shelbycharger400

I'm curious the difference in application of hot vs room temp. oil.

zelpatsmot

Thanks for sharing, also curious about hot vs room temp oil.....
Even if that linseed takes months to flash it will be worth it.

nebruks

Quote from: AMB30518 on May 13, 2012, 05:38:02 PM
I like the dark look too.
Did you add something to the linseed oil to darken it also?
I bet it would make a nice frame contrast with some clean light colored tongue & groove ceiling and walls.
Thanks for sharing and I'll look for updates too.

No, the oil darkens by the burnt surface.

nebruks

Quote from: zelpatsmot on May 14, 2012, 12:27:45 PM
Thanks for sharing, also curious about hot vs room temp oil.....
Even if that linseed takes months to flash it will be worth it.

Hot (almost boiling temperature) linseed oil reacts with the wood better and goes deeper inside between the fibers. After the oil dries there is some spots where it did not dry. So I was heating those spots with the gas flame and the oil went into the wood and dried completely.

zelpatsmot

How long did it take to dry? Other than the odd spot as you said.
I have to try this... Grateful of your post.

Aikenback

nice look. is there any documented preservative advantage?
no whining.

wdncno

I've been doing this on interior projects, but using sunflower oil.  Leaves a really nice finish and does not mildew.

Brad_bb

Nebruks,
Are you aware that Makita makes a power brush?  It has wire brush, synthetic brush, and flapwheel heads available for it.   If you like the finish, it might save you a lot of labor.

http://www.timberwolftools.com/tools/makita/M-9741.html

Watch the video demo of this tool on the webpage.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

venice

i am a bit late to this party but,

if you are using this technique of "aging" wooden surfaces, use all protective measures you can. Full body suit, respiratory protection, gloves, goggles and the best ventilation you can get.

While the result looks really good, the process is extremely unhealthy even with an hand wire brush. Motorized hand-held equipment makes the situation even worse.

The dust of burnt wood you are kicking up is so fine, it's clogging the pores of your skin, is crawling under your mask and again, is extremely unhealthy. Working a coal mine is a joke compared to brushing burned wood.

Have had the "Luck" to work on a project a couple years back that had wood burning/ brushing involved.

Next time someone ask me to do something like that, I'll turn around and walk away...

Even though i don't remember the details, a couple years back i read an article about cleaning up burnt forests. Not sure who brought it up, the author or the cutting crew, there was a major concern about health issues as well related to the black dust...

If you decide to use it anyway, you can skip the linseed or any other chemical treatment. The burnt surface will protect the wood from the elements better than anything. It's a ancient technique protecting wood, that has been used for ages.

Be safe. Venice

K.B.

Just wondering if there is an update to this project, or if there is a burnt smell if used in the interior?

creativecarpenter

I love the look of burnt wood! I definately plan on burning some or maybe all the timbers in my next home. posting a few pics of signs I made by burning the wood, brushing and sanding to highlight.
coming from the sawdust factory

venice

Aikenback

Maybe this is a good thread to explore other natural finishes as well. I am interested in the steel wool and vinegar aging technique. also, I have seen a video where extremely strong black tea was used. The steelwool and vinegar can be applied after where it reacts chemically with the tannins in the tea and the wood and "ebonizes" the fibers. It apparently turns the wood very dark. I am just wondering how these techniques hold up to uv etc. I am planning on trying all these techniques and applying some clear landark exterior finish with the fungicide and uv blocker over top. Is there any one out there that has tried these other methods?
no whining.

S.Hyland

Funny you mention that you mention the steel and vinegar technique. I am working on a White Oak frame right now that is using that. The first coat went on today, still too pale and blueish. So more coats will go on. I'll get some pics up in the next couple of days...
"It may be that when we no longer know which way to go that we have come to our real journey. The mind that is not baffled is not employed. The impeded stream is the one that sings."
― Wendell Berry

Aikenback

In the video I watched they used pickling vinegar, I dont know what difference it makes. When she added that mixture to the wood with the tea in it, it really darkened. I like the idea of actually changing the colour of the wood fiber rather than adding colour particulates for some reason.
no whining.

FalconFan

Seavee

That is a true craftsman.  Thanks for posting.
Wood mizer lt50 47hp yanmar Diesel  Sthil MS311, Ms661 MS200T, 029 farm boss  and a New Holland T4  75hp.

fishfighter

Now that is a build. Outstanding craftsmen's work.

jdtuttle

Have a great day

Fundyheather

Thank You Sponsors!