iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

This winters fuel

Started by uplander, September 14, 2018, 08:13:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wood Shed

Quote from: uplander on October 02, 2018, 07:50:16 AMThose of us who are younger, keep working on it. Those of us who have a little more experience, keep doing it while we can.

Uplander,  I agree with what you said.  This process (aging) has been on my mind lately as my OWB is ready to start its 13th season and I know will soon be faced with a decision and trying to look realistically at what the next phase will bring.
A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in." -Greek Proverb

uplander

Quote from: Wood Shed on October 06, 2018, 09:23:41 AM

Uplander,  I agree with what you said.  This process (aging) has been on my mind lately as my OWB is ready to start its 13th season and I know will soon be faced with a decision and trying to look realistically at what the next phase will bring.
I plan on doing it as long as possible. As I get to the point I know I am going to need help I am going to try to find a youngster with a good work ethic and hopefully together with my woods, tractor, saws, splitter and few tricks about how to do it we can come to a mutually beneficial arrangement.  That's my hope at least.
Woodmizer lt40G28.  A kubota L4600 with loader and forks.
Various Stihl saws and not enough time to use them!
Finished my house finally. Completely sawn out on by band mill. It took me 7 years but was worth it. Hardest thing I have ever done.

hedgerow

Quote from: uplander on October 08, 2018, 03:35:57 PM

I plan on doing it as long as possible. As I get to the point I know I am going to need help I am going to try to find a youngster with a good work ethic and hopefully together with my woods, tractor, saws, splitter and few tricks about how to do it we can come to a mutually beneficial arrangement.  That's my hope at least.
Good luck on finding that person. I have looked a lot to find some younger help. People don't burn wood in my area like they used to. The serious wood burners already have more wood to cut than they need. I have two guys that like to hunt both 55 + and I trade them hunting rights for days helping me get my 15 cord I burn a year. When they have had enough that might finish me burning wood. 

Ivan49

Quote from: uplander on October 08, 2018, 03:35:57 PM
Quote from: Wood Shed on October 06, 2018, 09:23:41 AM

I plan on doing it as long as possible. As I get to the point I know I am going to need help I am going to try to find a youngster with a good work ethic and hopefully together with my woods, tractor, saws, splitter and few tricks about how to do it we can come to a mutually beneficial arrangement.  That's my hope at least.
I am almost 70 and I have to plan farther ahead now than I use to. I go out and cut for a couple of hours or whenever I get tired then I stop. I built a processor 10 years ago and it is slow but I don't handle the wood other than stack so that helps a lot. I cut 2 cords and stacked in my woodshed today. I have seasoned poles to cut so going into the woods for me is a big no no. This year it is harder to get in and out of my skid steer but I manage. Cutting wood makes my blood sugar go down as well as my blood pressure

MAF143

just finished up working on the woodstove. Most of the firebrick was all cracked apart so I replaced all the broken pieces while replacing two of the hot air re-burner tubes. I fired up the stove to take the chill off the house from this cool snap we're having this weekend.

I have most of the wood cut and split but I have to move it from the drying areas over by the big barn to the wood shed by the house. I still have one big dead ash to drop cuz it is within striking distance of the house. Winter winds blow the bad direction so I better get it dropped before it gets punky.

I'm gonna try some of the Honey Locust for firewood that has been drying all summer. I will mix it in with the Ash. We cut a bunch of Honey Locust early this spring to make some fence posts and I cut and split the limbs and what was too crooked to run on the sawmill.
Always having a great day!
Husky 357 self ported, MS 250 MM, MS 362  MM, HM-126, Ferguson TO-35, '04 F-250 wood cuttin' truck, splitter, Woodland Mills Grindlux 4000 sharpener, Vogelzang Ponderosa keeping us warm

TKehl

Quote from: MAF143 on October 14, 2018, 10:20:45 AMWe cut a bunch of Honey Locust early this spring to make some fence posts

Did you mean Black Locust?  Black Locust makes great firewood and posts.  Honey Locust makes good firewood and poor posts.  

Just trying to save some heartache before sinking a bunch of HL posts.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

MAF143

The last bunch of honey locust posts that were put in here on the farm 50 or so years ago are still functioning.  If these new ones only last 20 years I don't think I'll be to worried about them after that.  We have no black locust on our farm.  I wish we did, but...  I have done a lot of reading on the Honey Locust vs. Black Locust and the stories range from very little difference to HL being totally worthless.  The agriculture reports I have read indicate the HL is good for posts, but Yellow Locust is to by shyed away from for that application.  I'm going to take my chances.  

A couple years ago we found logs (16" to 20" by 6' long) lying in the bottom way back in the woods that no one knows who cut them or how long they had laid there.  (minimum of 15 years).  There was no bark and they looked like the fencing up at the barn that was put in in '52.  I cut them up for fire wood and it was great, no rot in the heart wood at all, just encased thorns (found when splitting it) like I find in all other honey locust that I have cut and split from our woods.
Always having a great day!
Husky 357 self ported, MS 250 MM, MS 362  MM, HM-126, Ferguson TO-35, '04 F-250 wood cuttin' truck, splitter, Woodland Mills Grindlux 4000 sharpener, Vogelzang Ponderosa keeping us warm

rjwoelk

The last 2 days my wife and I stacked our wood shed full 8x16x 8 ft high.
4 cord is birch. Then we leave 3 ft space for birch bark and small stuff for kindlin and did sawmill slabs of hemlock jack pine and birch for about 5 ft. One bag out of 20 did not fit.  It will be used up before the snow flys.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

yetti462

I'm ready!! Just got my Central Boiler hooked up and rolling.  Bring on the Cold!!

Bruno of NH

I have 9 Dino bags of cut offs from selling firewood mixed hardwood 
1 pallet of black locusts
1 pallet of red oak sawmill slabs
1 pallet of hardwood limbs 
And hope to get 3 more Dino bags off cut offs
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

rjwoelk

Bruno those Deno bags were the first ones we used in 2011. A customer returned this year with one of them. I had the well used ones full of saw chips and this year they were falling apart. So 6 to 7 years before donè. It all depends on how long they were in the sun.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

uplander

Sounds like we are all doing pretty good! You youngsters that are a little behind better get to work though!

Just kidding, I know how difficult it is to manage all the responsibilities one has at a younger age.

Us folks who are a little more "seasoned" are a little better at managing out time though :)
Woodmizer lt40G28.  A kubota L4600 with loader and forks.
Various Stihl saws and not enough time to use them!
Finished my house finally. Completely sawn out on by band mill. It took me 7 years but was worth it. Hardest thing I have ever done.

Thank You Sponsors!