iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walkerized Saws

Started by Mark M, January 22, 2003, 09:24:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark M

Does anyone have experience with Walkerized saws? I am thinking about getting a Walkerized Husky 365. It is supposed to run about 4.4 hp vs. 3.4 for an unmodified 365. Any opinions or advice would be appreciated. I am also considering a stock Stihl MS 440.

Thanks

Mark Mathys

dan-l-b

Hey Mark, never heard of walkerized until the forum.  I wanted to pass you thier website:  8) 8)http://www.walkerssawshop.com/index2.html  
Good luck
Dan

Dennis

Mark, Walkers build a heck of a saw for the money they charge.  

I build saws as well.  I actually just finished a Husky 365 special and it turned out real nice...approximately a 30% gain going by cutting times.

Modified chainsaws run cooler, cleaner and last longer as a result than their stock counterparts.

Email me if you are interested in more information.

Dennis
Just Log It.

Oregon_Rob

Mark,
Saw building doesn't get talked about much on this site, but Dennis has a very good reputation on other sites as a A1 saw builder, even among other builders. Although I haven't had him do any work for me, I have followed his and others work via on going discussions for the last year or so.
I know if it were me and someone I don't know posted that he was willing to do the work, I would not be likely to do it, but I don't think you have anything to worry about if you go through Dennis.

Rob
Chainsaw Nerd

Dennis

Thanks for the good words Rob.  I looked at the way I came across and yep...I prolly wouldnt deal with me either....lol...once my website is done it will make things easier...

Dennis
greffardsaw@mercuryspeed.com
Hotsaws by Den
250-674-3562
Just Log It.

Skully

I have a walkerized 372xp, could not be happier.  For 120 dollars american it's a hell of a deal.  Never ran a saw from Dennis, or Ken Dunn or Dan Henry to name a few, but have heard that these are all top notch guys to have work on your saw.

jokers

I have a Walkerized 346xp that I love and I concur that you won`t find a better professional modification for the money, then on the other hand.... I have a 385xp and 357xp done by Dennis that are truly impressive and bulletproof saws. I have complete faith in Dennis` abilities to deliver the product, in fact he recently built an MS260 Pro for me as well but he has to hold on to it for a bit so I haven`t had a chance to run it yet. Got a little problem with visible inventory and divisable assets to be worked out :'(. Russ

Dennis

Russ....ooops...are you saying you don't want this tracking number? lol... www.canadapost.ca  #cx 007 120 855 ca
I sent it to the Wilcox addy.  I would presume you will have it early in the week....
Just Log It.

Rick Schmalzried

Dennis,
I have 3 older stihls I have thought about having modified, but the engineer/geek/etc in me makes me want to do it myself so I know how it is done.  Are you willing to share how it is done?  Are there retrofit parts you install or do you modify the stock parts?  If retrofit parts, are you willing to sell them for installation by others?

I am not looking to get into the business of modifying saws, I just would like to know how to get the most out of my existing equipment.

--Rick
_         
|_| .  _ |
| \ | |_ |<

Dennis

Rick....if you want to get some quick power and performance, modify your muffler....if Russ could post some pics here of modified mufflers, you will see what I mean...I can't figure out how to get my pics on here without them being the size of postage stamps.

Just Log It.

Tom

Dennis, Pictures aren't so hard.  Click on the link below and it will take you to the Knowledge Base article that explains how.

Knowledge Base Link for Pictures

If you really get in a bind attach the picture to an email and send it to me and I'll prepare it for you.

Weekend_Sawyer

Dennis,
Please tell us more about muffler modifying. Can I modify the existing factory muffler or replace it with something that looks like it came off of a dirt bike.

I have an 066. Don't know the year, I bought it used. It is a great saw starts and runs fine... but if I could squeze a few more HP out by modifying the muffler... well who wouldent!
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Dennis

Weekend...well you could put a dirt bike pipe on your saw yes...but you need to remove all the inside baffles and tune it for your engine...creates about 60% more HP...but you don't want to cut firewood with it....strictly race...
However, you can gain some power by removing the baffles inside your muffler...and building an extra port...your 066..is it a Mag? is there and exhaust outlet on the front of the muffler as well as the side? If so, the job is pretty much done for you.  You can increase the size of those two ports, and that will help a bit.

I am still working on this picture optimizing thing...I am by no means a computer guy...lol
Just Log It.

Weekend_Sawyer

I was not typing well, I should have said that I do not want a motorcycle muffler hanging off of it. Not that there is anything wrong with that :D

My 066 is not a magnum. I'll take a look at the baffles and ports. Thanks.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

village-moron

I know what the modified mufflers dennis is talking about look like. They are your basic muffler, with 2 rather large ports on the front corners set at like a 45 degree angle or something like that. they make your saw really powerful, and they give it a badass look as well. gotta see if there is a muffler like that available for my 2375 by poulan HAHA. I really dont know what the heck I was thinking when I bought that little thing. I would love to trade it in on a new stihl ms390 or the like.
town moron

redpowerd

dennis, will you only dennisize new saws, whats the oldest you have rebuilt? thanks!
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Dennis

Red...the newer the saw the better, but that is not to say older ones can't be done..each saw is different, and needs to be approached individually...even new ones...what is it you have that you are considering?
Just Log It.

redpowerd

my good buddy died and left me an 032av that i cant part with.  for now, thats the only saw i have that i plan on keeping. if i could find a newer 036pro or an 044 reasonalbly, id like to beef them up too. thanx!
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

dozerdan

redpowerd
 I always liked the 032 and I also built a few of them. Saws of that age will have to be completely disassembled and rebuilt from the ground up. The price for all that work on a saws of that age would probable discourage you from having it built.
 The 032 was produced from 1978-1985.
 I would suggest that you save that saw and invest in a saw of newer design.
Later
Dan
Danny Henry
Central Pa.
Home of the Original Power Ported Saws
570 658 6232
dozerdan@sunlink.net or
dozerdan@nmax.net

John_Boisselier

Hi Dennis,
  What do you charge U.S. dollars to build an 066 mag to your specs.  What is necessary for shipping across the border etc.  Thanks, John
The Woodsman

Bobcat_pa

Jokers: what  mod/s did Walker do to your 346xp ?    

Bobcat_pa

Are there "side effects" to some of these mods ?     Or, is the results all good with and nothing negative.      

Captain

I bought some Walkerized mufflers from John Walker for my 066 Mag and 046.  Great bolt on performance.  Everyone that knows saws who see them cut is very impressed.

They were great folks to deal with, had the mufflers from Canada in about 5 days.

Captain

jokers

Hi Bobcat

I`d be lying if I told you what mods that Walkers do becuase frankly I don`t remember. What I do remember is that John Walker is very obliging and will tell you everything that they will do to your saw. I do believe that the biggest gains come from their modifed mufflers which also cause your saw to run cooler and last longer.

Whether or not the mods will cause your saw to wear out sooner has been hotly debated by many. My perspective is that most people don`t even bother to re-ring a saw, so they are throwing away alot of unused life. Most saws going to the bone pile have servicable bottoms. If the bottom end wears out at about the same time as the rings in a modified saw it wouldn`t be earth shattering in this scenario, but most guys that I know are getting atleast one re-ring out of their modified saws. Think about the increased production you`ve had along the way though, since the pay or payback for most of us isn`t by the hour but rather buy what got cut.

Modified saws sure are nice, but maybe not for everyone.

Russ

redpowerd

i wonder if the walkers have thought about sponsering the forestry forum?
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

CWS

Russ is right about the majority of gains coming from the muffler mods.
I pulled the muffler off of my Walkers 346, and installed it on my brother-in-law's Jonny 2149 (same saw physically). The saw naturally had to be re-tuned, but what a difference. From a seat of the pants comparison, the 2149 had nearly the legs of the 346. I want to time some cuts when I can between the two machines. My brother in law was floored, John W. has his muffler as we speak, or write, or whatever.  ;D
I think anything over a 16" bar on the smaller machines is too much. An 18" bar on a 346 or similar saw robs power, and makes the saw feel front heavy. Just my take.

dozerdan

Bobcat
 I will try to answer your Wakerized question.
 I have had the pleasure to look inside of saws that were built by Walker, Dennis and Ken Dunn, All of them do first rate work.
Walkers prices are less then all of the other people that I mentioned but they don't do as much work either. As you already know they add two additional ports to the muffler for better exhaust flow. They also change the exhaust port timing and polish the exhaust port. Walker also remove the cylinder base gasket and reinstalls them using sealer. This increases compression.
 Saws built by Ken, Dennis or I have a lot more word done to them. We change the port timing on the exhaust, transfer and the intake port and also enlarge them. We mill the base on the cylinder and use a gasket. I also do extensive work on the piston for better fuel flow. Some models of saws take different mods to make them come alive, so you have to change ignition timing and also some carb mods.
 CWS
 Muffler mods alone will give you about a 10 to 15% power increase. I am currently achieving 50 to 60% power gains on a 346 woods saw.
 I am a sponsor on another site. Who do I talk to about becoming a sponsor for this one?
Later
Dan
Danny Henry
Central Pa.
570 658 6232
dozerdan@sunlink.net or
dozerdan@nmax.net

CWS

Hi Dan,

Whattaya think you'll get outta my 440? Me thinks I'll send you my 346 to finish. I knew you were gettin some great output, but 50 to 60 percent, wahooo!
I honestly thought it was about a total of 40%, about 25 from the muffler, and another 15 or so from porting. Shows how little I really know.

D._Frederick

Dozerdan,
If you are increasing the  power output by 60%, are you having problems with the connecting rod and crank holding up to the added stress? Does it shorten the life of the engine?

jokers

Bobcat,

The side effect of having a saw modified is that you`ll never be satisfied with a stock saw again and if you were happy with saw "A" after mods you`ll start wondering what saw "B" would be like modified. Then you got that new saw itch that can only be scratched by buying a new saw. Terrible, terrible thing!

Russ

Dennis

Dan has said it well, but I might add that when we are talking power increases, we are actually talking decreased cutting times...for example...a stock saw makes a cut in 12" of wood and it takes (just for numbers sake) 10 seconds...then you modify the saw, and make the same cut and it only takes 5 seconds...hence 50%...these numbers can vary depending on the size and type  of wood you are cutting...to be accurate, you have to use the same bar and chain for both cuts, as well as the same piece of wood.

Russ knows all about the modified saw bug..he has had it for longer than most of us.....lol...
Just Log It.

Gus

Russ,
Glad to here its normal. I bought this modified 2100 husky and its a screamer. Cuts wood like its butter. Now I been a wondering what the old trusty 034 would be like if it was modified. I know its getting old BUT . . . .
I got a question with all this talk about modified mufflers and all. What would the CHAINSAW POLICE have to say about one of these mufflers?
"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

Oregon_Rob

SD You never mentioned that the 2100 you were looking at was modified! Now I am going to have to due battle with that green eyed monster again :D
Been doing any milling with it?
Chainsaw Nerd

dozerdan

Scott
 I just received a new 440 today for porting. I will let you know the results on that saw. They usually come out to about 30 to 35% gain. The Stihl saws don't come alive like the newer Electrolux saws that use the quad transfer ports. We are currently getting the most power gains out of the Husky 346,357,372,385 and the 395s.

D.Frederick
 We don't have anymore of a problems with bearings then you would with a stock saw. We also use nothing but pure synthetic oils mixed at 32/1. I have one logging crew that runs 7 of my Power Ported 372 Husky's. Some of those saws are in use 5 days a week and have been on the job now for 2 1/2 years without a problem.

Here is a copy of an email that I just received from a customer with one of my PP346s.

Dan the Man

Sorry so long on giving you a saw report.  Well, you didn't steer me wrong with the 346.  It was just like the 2171 when I started using it.  A little disappointing at first ... the saw was set up at 14,000 rpms.  Had a bunch of small stuff that had to be worked up so ran 3 or 4 tanks gas through it.  Then went over to the bigger stuff.  Dang saw would tear into the wood like a banshee, then start falling on its face about 3/4 through the wood.  It was a cool day and I thought that thing surely couldn't be getting to hot in the cut.  Anyway got the tach out and set her up for 15,000 rpms ... a little better but still wasn't what I was looking for.  Well, went ahead and run another 3 or 4 tanks of gas through it.  She was running pretty strong but popping real faintly through the exhaust a certain rpms.  I thought Gawd hope it isn't like that 026 when I bought it.  Same sound and that took a new ignition to cure it.  Well I got tired of monkeying with it and went for the screwdriver, stop watch, and tach.  Set her up at 15,500 and she would two cycle ... blubber a little on the top end.  Then set it up a 16,000 ... sounded mean but wasn't any faster in the cut.  Thought it would be better to go for the rich side.  Reset at 15,500 then turned the jet ... somewhere around 10 degrees clockwise ... just enough to eliminate the blubber at 15,500.  The jet position was probably 1/8 turn richer than when set a 16,000 or so.  The engine sounds good ... cuts good ... so I went with it.  Your right!!! neighbors probably think I got a new dirt bike.
  Took down a couple more smaller dead oaks with it and worked them up.  Had to turn the idle down on her by then.  Now I decided it was time to race her with the other saws.  So I drug out the 2049, 2055 and the 026.  Had a 14" dead elm down and decided that hard stuff would be a good test for them.  Ran the 49, 55 and 26 first.  The first shocker was all three of them saws were within a sec. of each other.  Fired up the 346 and said she can't be much faster than those other three with this semi-chisel chain on it ... the others had round chisel and buzzed right though that wood.  Gave it the gas ... like I stole it!!.. and hit the stop watch.  Looked at the watch when finished ... *DanG ... that stop watch must be broke and gave her another wide open run.  NO SHeeT ... the thing was 60% faster than the other three ... even with that chain on it.  Unbelievable!!!! What a SAW!!  Looks good, light, fast and starts and runs good.

Anyway I love the saw .... Thank you!

Jan    

Later
Dan      
Danny Henry
Central Pa.
570 658 6232
dozerdan@sunlink.net or
dozerdan@nmax.net

Oregon_Rob

QuoteDozerdan,
If you are increasing the  power output by 60%, are you having problems with the connecting rod and crank holding up to the added stress? Does it shorten the life of the engine?

DF
I have been following some of these guys on this and other forums where saw building is often the main topic for about a year and a half and have yet to hear anyone, (builder or customer) mention that they think the life of any of these saws have been shortened by builiding them. I do some milling and would like a bigger, badder saw, but just can't afford it for now. If I had the funds, i would do it in a heart beat.

Dan & Dennis,
Why is it I don't hear of more 066's being built? The saw seems to have one of the best overall reputations as a strong runner, but just don't hear much about them lately.
Also, Dan I was supprised to hear that the 395 responded well to porting. I don't think I have ever seen a post about working up a 395.

Chainsaw Nerd

Gus

Rob,
Yes, this 2100 I have has been tricked out by Mike Rupley out of CA. It has had some piston grinding done, ported and polished, bigger carb. and of course modified muffler. I've been cutting dry elm for firewood and it cuts it like butter. She be so loud you can't hardly be in the same neighborhood without ear protection. :o
I've yet to do any milling with it. Been laying logs aside while cutting firewood. Hope to get to it before to long.
Gus
"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

dozerdan

Oregon Rob
 The 066 is a strong runner in stock form. Stilh actually did their homework before they built that saw. You can port the 066 and it will gain power but the gains will only come out to about 25/30%. For a stock saw it actually has good port timing.
 Most of the 395s that I build go to the west coast. I am not sure as to why there is no posts about that saw, they do work well. John Walker must also do some of them. Used ones are on Ebay most of the time.
 If I made a post about all of the saws that I build, I would never get any work done.
Later
Dan
Danny Henry
Central Pa.
570 658 6232
dozerdan@sunlink.net or
dozerdan@nmax.net

Oregon_Rob

Dan,
Thanks, I didn't so much mean your posts, as much as I don't hear much in general discussion regarding those two saws.

Do you have a preference, if you were going to pick one of the two to have modified and mill with? I realize if you had a wide open choice, it would be different. I know Kevin liked milling with his 066.

Chainsaw Nerd

Bobcat_pa

Dozerdan:

Electolux --where do they come in the picture ?   Someone buy someone ?

Synthetic oil -- interesting to me because that is what i use in both my suv & car.   But is it really a good mix for a  chain saw?   Is 32/1 over lubed ?  Smokey ?
bob      

Bobcat_pa

Jokers:  Yes, I am starting to recognize this mental disorder in my chain saw activities.   Progessive problem, & see no cure.  Planning my next purchase, before the lastest one arrives.  Planning my next R&D project, before the supplies arrive for the current project.      And, enjoying all of it.    Bob

dozerdan

Oregon Rob
 If I had my choice of saws to mill with it would be the Stihl 090. If I had to pick between the 066 and a 394 or 395,I would pick the 066. I think the saw will take more abuse then the Husky and milling is hard on them.
 Bobcat_pa
Electrolux owns Husky, Jonsered and Poulan, yes its the same company that manufactures sweepers.
 Pure synthetic oil isn't like regular oil. At a 32/1 mix you will still have less exhaust smoke and there is no plug fouling. Is it possible to over lube something? I use Maxima K2,its a dirt bike oil.
 What do you mean ( mental disorder).LOL
Once you have ran a modified saw you will never want to run a stock one again. I gave my son a nice Husky 266 when he was 13 years old. He ran that saw for about 3 month and he told me he hated it,said it was too darn slow. It was fine until he ran one of my PP372s now he is 15 and he will not run any stock saw. I think I have him spoiled.
Later
Dan
Danny Henry
Central Pa.
570 658 6232
dozerdan@sunlink.net or
dozerdan@nmax.net

woodsjunkie

Boy guys I don't know if I would take Dozers advise or not he's never built a fast saw in his life!

Just kidding Dan is a upstanding saw builder one of the best in the business I have several saw by him and I am patiently awaiting delivery on a blue 7900 dolmar.

BTW I just found this fourm and i hope to be of some help.
looks like their is a lot of knowlage hear.
Your allowed to have an excuse, you just cant use the same one twice.

Oregon_Rob

QuoteBTW I just found this fourm and i hope to be of some help.
looks like their is a lot of knowlage hear.

There's a bunch more now! What took you so long? 8)
Chainsaw Nerd

Larry

Got a 272xp getting ready for its ninth birthday.  Runs just like new and I really like it.  Since it is so old would it be worthwhile getting it modified?  How about just putting an opened up muffler on it?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

woodsjunkie

Larry,
I am no saw builder but have owned a bunch of modifyed saws in the last 3-4 years don't get it modified you will be "addicted"
To your question I have heard the 272 do take to mod fairly well you would have to ask Danny or KD.
I do have a 372 that dozer worked over that runs well In local saw competition It was only 1sec. slower in 3 cuts in a 10x10 popular cant than a 090 that has been worked over by Ken Dunn.
The only suggestion I have is to take the time to research the back ground of the saw builder's before you spend you cash.
Warning once you run a "properly" ported saw you wont like stock saw's any more!!!!!!!!!!
Your allowed to have an excuse, you just cant use the same one twice.

Captain

John Walker called today, he shipped my new WALKERIZED MS460 today (replacement for a stolen saw over the holidays).  I'll let you all know how it works out.  If it is anything like my old stolen 046 with the modded muffler...I'll be VERY happy.

Captain

oldsaw-addict

Hey I just realised that I have aJonsereds 670 champ thats all stock, I wanna modfy it!! Can someone try to hook me up with a modified muffler and perhaps a balanced crankshaft? I like the extra power and throttle responsiveness that is available from mods to the muffler and crankshaft. I just opened up the muffler on my poulan 2375 40cc saw, and holy schnitzel what a difference! more power and it sounds like a mcculloch at idle speed. I love the mcculloch engine sound. Has anyone ever considered piston porting a MAC 1010 saw? the power gains would be ungodly. I just figured out why MACS are so dang loud, the muffler is just a minimal piece of metal on most of the mcculloch saws, aallowin for the least restriction of flow and the most power from the engine. You wouldnt have to mod the muffler on a mac at all just piston port it and increase the compression a little and you would have a "stock" looking saw with unbelieveable HP ratings. What do you think?
Let there be saws for all mankind!

dozerdan

One of the easiest ways to make more power out of that 670, is to replace the piston, cylinder and the carb with one from a 272 Husky. That will give you 72cc instead of 67cc. Those parts are a direct bolt on.
Later
Dan
Danny Henry
Central Pa.
570 658 6232
dozerdan@sunlink.net or
dozerdan@nmax.net

oldsaw-addict

I didnt know that I could put a cylinde and piston from a 272 on a 670 for an immediate power boost. It souds like fun though.Thanks for the tip.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

rahtreelimbs

I am new here. I have 3 Dozer Dan Power Ported saws. Dan does first rate work and his saws are unbelieveable. The Power is simply outstanding. 8)
Nothing Like A  Modded Saw To Start Your Day!!![/SIZE]               Later, Rich.

Tom

jokers

I know this guy posing as rahtreelimbs, he`s trouble!

Just kidding of course Rich, welcome aboard!

Russ

Thank You Sponsors!