iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ported MS 461

Started by CTL logger, August 25, 2014, 08:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CTL logger

Just got my new ported MS 461 all I can say is what a great saw. I only use it for bucking logs on landing, I bet it runs as good as my 660 and weighs less.

cutter88

Had mine done as well and a loud muffler on it sounds and performs awesome
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

joe_indi

Quote from: CTL logger on August 25, 2014, 08:50:10 PM
......... I bet it runs as good as my 660 and weighs less.
It will also run 404 chain like the 660.

Ken 45lc

Can I ask what all is involved in having it ported, and where do you get it done?

One of my best friends had a MS 460, and it survived at least 4 years of him cutting down with it. Needless to say it had a very rough life, but it change my opinion of Stihl saws. Once my 372 gives up the ghost, I'll be replacing it with the MS 461.

Thanks,
Ken

cutter88

It's easy they just use a dremel bit to sand the rough Finnish off the intake and exhaust ports, then change the jetting to match, mine works great it has as much jam as a 660 I even bumped it up to an 8 tooth sprocket
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

JohnG28

There's a little more to it than that. More than can easily be explained really. What you say is true, but intake and exhaust ports are usually enlarged, as are transfers. They are polished after being cut larger. Timing is usually altered also, and base gaskets can be removed or the base milled to bump compression. Pop up piston can be used to accomplish this as well, with or without decreased squish. Carbs can be swapped, bored out larger,  jets changed. Exhaust opened up as well. That's a good start.  ;)
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

AdkStihl

Dyno tests have proved that a ported 461 will far out perform a 660 and do it with much less weight.
J.Miller Photography

JohnG28

I'd take one, ported or not!
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Ken 45lc

Ok, so is there certain shops that specialize in this? Does anyone know if there is anyone near central or western Pa that does this well?

Thanks,
Ken

celliott

I know member dozerdan is from PA, he's supposed to do pretty good port work.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Al_Smith

Quote from: JohnG28 on October 02, 2014, 09:42:33 PM
Pop up piston can be used to accomplish this as well, with or without decreased squish.
There is a difference of opinion on that verses a flat top piston .If the same base cut was make the flat top would produce higher pressures every thing else being equal

The real reason some including myself prefer a cut dome piston is because it changes the flow pattern above the piston on the transfer portion. The rear portion of the piston towards the intake port is the hardest area to sweep of unburned exhaust gases .Several methods are used ,cut piston is only one of.

Ken 45lc

CTL Logger, did you buy your saw at the same place that ported it?

Thanks,
Ken

Thank You Sponsors!