iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

If you could only have one

Started by sshier, August 19, 2014, 07:33:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sshier

So I've been thinking which most of the time is either dangerous or expensive. We do contact grade harvesting along with production low grade and pulp, and we're throwing around getting a forwarder to replace the cable skidder. So if you personally could only have one which would it be ? I'm leaning towards keeping or upgrading the cable skidder which is a 440 nice thing is mobility we've got a chance at getting a 230 jack double bunk. I really want both that's were the expensive part comes in

Corley5

I'd want both a skidder and a forwarder but given the choice between the two I'd take a forwarder any day.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

BargeMonkey

Depends on the ground you work. My 230 long bunk has sat @ the shop like a yard ornament since march.  :D
Around here its still alot of cable skidder and dozer logging, a few forwarders mostly on the state lots. The 230A's are nice, a straight 230 is a pain always stopping and spinning around. Ive never heard alot of good with a 610, transmission and transfer case troubles, stuff breaking loaded.

thenorthman

I don't have much use for a forwarder...  but I don't cut pulp wood...

If I was in your shoes I'd keep the cable skidder as its paid off, and see about finding a decent used forwarder, or possibly leasing/renting one to see how it does, if it works good then go ahead and buy one.
well that didn't work

sshier

Thanks for the replies really main reason for thoughs of forwarder was this past winter spring
We had 4500 into forwarder work moving produced wood to the road. Lots of thinking and looking to do. 

sshier

We're also hoping to get a processor some day and get rid of the buncher, grapple and slasher combo

Ron Scott

Ditto to Corley 5's reply for our logging here. The full time worker is the forwarder as most jobs are cut to length.
~Ron

thecfarm

The guy that cuts for me uses a forwarder. He brings out the sawlogs with,8,10,12,14,16 footors. Makes a big difference on the trails. He did have small forwarder. Did not do good on hills. He use to have a grapple to bring the logs to the top of the hill. Now he has a bigger forwarder that like hills.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jhenderson

You'll go broke hand cutting pulp for a forwarder.

Gary_C

Quote from: Jhenderson on August 19, 2014, 08:03:43 PM

I didn't and now have added a harvester. It's a good way to move up.

As I and others have said, the forwarder is the hardest working machine you can buy. After you have one, you can not see how you got along without one.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

sshier

Well looks like we'll start looking around for a forwarder but I'm thinking we'll keep the cable skidder also.

sshier

Kinda off topic but with same skilled operators would a tj 230 long bunk keep a 18" slingshot busy.I know there are a lot of variables with this question just starting to think about switching up some equipment and tactics love buncher slasher but thinking less employees the better besides it's like pulling teeth to get people to get off there unemployment and hold a job I remember when it was to help you get on your feet until you found another job now it seams to be a lifestyle. That's just my opinion though

BargeMonkey

Depends on the skid distance, but with a tight stack in the bunk your getting almost 4 cords to a drag on a 230 long bunk. Which loader does the machine have ? The Serco 4000 is a good loader, but your reach is limited. Some of the newer ones had a loglift loader, and you could run it backwards. You can move a pile of wood in a day if all your doing is load and go.

sshier

I'm pretty sure it has serco and a newer sure grip bucket. 

This is a picture of the machine pulling on my buncher he's a friend and lucky for me he was on a block just down the road took forwarder and skidder

barbender

Quote from: Jhenderson on August 19, 2014, 08:03:43 PM
Up here in northern MN, I'd have to agree.  It just wouldn't work, they would be handy on a landing to sort and pile,  but you could use a loader truck for that- which most guys did back when there were more cable skidding operations. Or they went to a slasher. I have never seen a forwarder working up here except behind a processor. Now, I realize our timber and harvesting methods are different than other areas, if we had more large hardwood stands like WI and MI, that would change things.
Too many irons in the fire

BargeMonkey

The tag with the serial # and build date is up by the roof as your sitting in the seat looking forward. They are a tough machine. I recently converted mine to joystick, wasnt to bad actually. Only problem on them is getting the hoses right, mine was a hamster nest when I bought the machine, I bet I had 10 days going thru the machine. Timberjack claims 4 cord, or 2kbft per drag. Watch out, she can be tippy.

sshier

What did you get the the joysticks off can you just pull set off old loader or something or do you by a kit ?

Jhenderson

Gary, could you elaborate on your method for making money cutting pulp by hand for a forwarder? I can't figure making money going stump to stump picking up individual sticks for $ 30 per cord, let alone setting aside enough to purchase a harvester.

M Cook

You mentioned the mobility of your cable skidder, with a double bunk forwarder it will require a double drop lowboy to move.  If you do a lot of small jobs moving could be expensive and inconvenient if you have to depend on someone else moving forwarder for you.
Mike Cook

BargeMonkey

I bought a joystick valve from bailey hydraulic, and added a foot swing, isnt super fancy but my 5 lever valve was worn out pretty good. Had to do some work to the back of the cab, ive seen a few others converted also.
A 230 long bunk is a pain to move if you dont have a long well trailer. Ive got 22ft of well on my lowboy and she fits by inches, backed on. Keep that in mind. If not just throw a SMV sign on it and baja down the road, common practice around here.

sshier

Ya that is a major factor we try to schedule lots close enough to drive and generally speaking we can usually do 2 or 3 lots before getting moved but our grade contracts can come up any were as its out of our hands so it is nice to have the mobility of the small cable skidder I have also considered that with getting a tracked processor that would have to be moved every time. I'm still thinking it out ways 2 or 3 more employees. The current owner also moves out equipment and it is very tight to get on lowboy.

Thank You Sponsors!