iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting Cookies

Started by wng-2, April 22, 2017, 04:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wng-2

Hi guys, I know this has probably been discussed plenty. I'm still a novice sawyer, and I've been asked by a friend to cut some 2" cookies to be used on the tables at a  wedding. I have a Woodmizer LT 15, and I'm looking for a picture of a simple jig. I did do a search for cookies, but didn't really find what I was looking for. If somebody could point me to a link, I would appreciate it. Thanks very much.
Rich
Berwick,Maine
Woodmizer LT-15
Kubota L-4400

DDW_OR

do the cookies need to have a live edge with bark?
use a table saw, radio arm saw, or chop saw.

are the wood cookies be used as coasters?
"let the machines do the work"

wng-2

They need to be about 15" diameter, and 2" thick. The mill will do the nicest job. I just need a way to secure the wood.
Rich
Berwick,Maine
Woodmizer LT-15
Kubota L-4400

Percy

Im a lousy splainer but here goes.....put a 6 x 6 or reasonable substitute against backstops. then a piece of 2x12(you said your cookies need to be 15 inches)flat on the bunks beside 6x6. Set your cookie log on the 2 x 12 and clamp/cut carefully. You coild screw a couple of 2x4 blocks on the side of the 6x6 to help keep the cookie log secure....
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Magicman

I wedge it in as best I can and clamp it knowing that the bottom ~6" will not get sawn, but the ladies like them too.  This one drove up while I was about to finish sawing another job.

They are seen within the stacks here.  This was one happy lady, especially when I told her "no charge".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

paul case

I think it works best to put down a board across your bunks, set your log up on it and clamp it.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

WV Sawmiller

I do like Paul. Once clamped they cut very fast as you don't have to travel far. Like MM I lose the bottom several inches.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

jtmccallum

Quote from: paul case on April 22, 2017, 06:15:53 PM
I think it works best to put down a board across your bunks, set your log up on it and clamp it.

x2
PC
John M.        '97 WM LT40Super Manual 40HP Lombardini,  XP372,   CASE 1210 W/ Loader

Magicman

Building a sacrificial jig also works well, but after sawing the first stick the jig has been sacrificed.  It's quicker for me to just wedge it in, clamp, and saw but the two plane clamp helps.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

With the manual clamp on the LT15, it is hard to get enough clamp pressure to hold the log steady by itself.  So take a piece of plywood or a wide board and used wood screws to screw the log onto the plywood or board from the bottom.  Then, take some wood clamps and clamp the plywood or wide board on the bed rails.  This holds the log steady enough to cut the cookies. 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

plantman

if you're having a tough time keeping those cookies from checking you might want to check out this article on Dave Carnell's research.
http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?186402-Ethylene-glycol-(auto-antifreeze)-treated-wood-safey

Thank You Sponsors!