iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Boiled Peanuts

Started by Mooseherder, November 22, 2008, 08:35:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Weekend_Sawyer

I like them alot, just with salt and mabe some cloves.

I always look forward to going down to Georgia and stoping at a penut stand.

When I was in China they had boiled penuts as a side dish with almost every meal, and they were allready shelled. That spoiled me. I could get 4 on my chopsticks!

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Tom

They must've been real thin and real sharp.  :D

Lanier_Lurker

Quote from: DanG on November 25, 2008, 12:16:18 PM
If you can boil water, you can boil peanuts.  Just put the peanuts in the water. ::) :D  Dump a bunch of salt in there with them.

Like most things, fresh is best.  Around here, they are referred to as green peanuts, which just means they haven't been dried.  Most of the boiled peanuts you can buy "ready to eat" have been frozen, and are kinda black and mushy.  I don't care for them very much.  You won't have much luck trying to boil dry peanuts, either.

Usually, there are some "pops" in the batch.  Those are just immature nuts that haven't filled out yet, but the hulls are soft so you can eat the whole thing.  The hulls of mature ones are woody and inedible.

If you would call grits a "comfort food", then boiled peanuts would be a "comfort snack."  It is a pretty labor intensive way to eat, so enjoying them is more an activity than anything else.  It is a two-handed job, and your fingers get all messy, so you pretty much just eat peanuts when you're eating peanuts. :D :D

DanG has nailed it.

The key to good boiled peanuts is getting them fresh and green, and perhaps even immature.

Being raised in the middle of the Southwest Georgia peanut belt, I've been around boiled peanuts all my life.  Actually, getting nuts right off the vine a week or three before they are fully mature gives the best results.  The shells are soft and oftentimes can be eaten along with the nut - as DanG says.

Weekend_Sawyer

Ah Tom yer such a coconut, ya just line them up and then pick them up real easy.

I got ALOT of practice, was there for a year back in the 80's

Jon

DanG

If I ever have the misfortune to be sent to China, I'm gonna take a fork with me. ::) :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Weekend_Sawyer

and they would be saying  "Look at the Bezu with a fork!, can't use chipsticks, what a barbarian!"

a bezu is a big nose, they think we have big noses. :D

DanG

They're right.  We do have big noses.  We also have forks. ;D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

SwampDonkey

Hard to get ahead of that crowd down in the far SE. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

You mean China ??? ??? ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DanG

I have china, too.  I eat off of it with a fork!

Magicman

The only threads that I found on boiled peanuts were a couple of years old, and my peanuts are not.  They are fresh from the Farmer's Market and good yeah.  I like um after they have had time to soak up the juice.

Kinda like popcorn.  I don't know when to stop eating them.   food6
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chris Burchfield

I've eaten my fair share.  Couple of years ago, I bought a 40 lb. bag of new crop out of Mississippi.  They must have been Goliath.  They were huge.  I don't know of anyone who grows them up here.  I don't think the soil is sandy enough.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

WDH

They may just be my favorite treat.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

iffy

tried some for the first time at a bbq place in Idaho Springs, Co last year. Probably the last time too. Didn't seem to have a taste for them. Was telling my son in Winter Park, Co about them and he and his wife started laughing. Being raised in Kansas neither I nor my son knew anything about boiled peanuts previously. His wife is from Alabama but was born in Pennsylvania. She doesn't have much of a drawl, but she had an old friend from Alabama visit and she really had a drawl. They were sitting around talking and his wife's friend was trying to tell them where a shop or something in her home town was, and she said "it's raght by the bowled peenus place". My son said "what place"? She repeated it a little slower "bowwled peeenus". He said "what"? In a very exasperated tone she said it real loud and real slow "bowwwled peeeenus" He looked at his wife and she translated "boiled peanuts". He said "what the heck is boiled peanuts"? and then they both just sat there looking at him. :D

Weekend_Sawyer

I had a friend ask once "what are bald peanuts? I have never seen a hairy one"

I'd like to have some right now. :)
Jon

Magicman

I've been to peanut boilings where a wash pot was used to boil them in.  Of course, some folks may not know what a wash pot is either.  :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

If it is big, black, cast iron, and has three pointy little legs, then I know what one is  :).

DanG

I have a wash pot, and I have boiled peanuts in it.  They was good!  8) 8) 8)

Magicman

When you boil peanuts in a wash pot, you better invite the whole DanG fambelly, cause that's a bunch of peanuts.

Weekend_Sawyer

WDH

I can attest to that fact, and I take advantage of it.

DanG

Quote from: Magicman on August 04, 2010, 07:53:57 PM
When you boil peanuts in a wash pot, you better invite the whole DanG fambelly, cause that's a bunch of peanuts.

The whole DanG fambelly was eggzackly who I invited, along with some friends.  We roasted weenies around the edges of the pot while the peanuts cooked.  Anybody who wanted to left with a coffee can full of peanuts when the party was over. :) :) :)

Magicman

DanG, you just went and made me want some more.  I think that another run to the farmer's market will be in order.

Thank You Sponsors!