iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woo-hoo 2017!

Started by terrifictimbersllc, December 28, 2017, 07:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc

My Saturday customer just cancelled, thinks too much snow is coming.  That's it for 2017 sawing for me.   Going to sit by the fire a bit now.  8) 8)

143400 BF on my WM this year. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

nativewolf

Very nice.  A seat by the fire when it is 10 degrees is a fine idea.  Best of luck in 2018
Liking Walnut

petefrom bearswamp

Havent sawed in 6 weeks now and dont intend to unless we get a protracted January thaw.
Did sell a couple of hundred bucks worth of Ash and Butternut lumber tho 3 days ago.
Only 5 inches of snow here
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Crossroads

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on December 28, 2017, 07:46:54 PM
My Saturday customer just cancelled, thinks too much snow is coming.  That's it for 2017 sawing for me.   Going to sit by the fire a bit now.  8) 8)

143400 BF on my WM this year.

Just curious, do you work by the bdft or buy the hour and just keep track of your footage? I work by the hr or bdft depending on the job, but I rarely keep track of the footage when working by the hour.  My Saturday customer canceled too and rescheduled for 1/8
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

terrifictimbersllc

By the hour but keep track of the bf, either log scale or actual. 

I would advise anyone new to sawing esp. in business to keep a log of the following for every job.  There's a lot of uses one can make of this information.

date
customer
engine hr start
engine hr finish
board feet either sawn or log scale

Also track fuel (gallons) purchased for/used by mill, not for every job but all the purchases.   You'll have this anyway if you fill out form 4136 federal fuels tax credit but the gallons might not be easy to pull up later unless you go to that form.

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Crossroads

Thanks for the info, 2018 just might be a good year to start keeping a log like that.
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Chuck White

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on December 29, 2017, 01:06:59 PM
By the hour but keep track of the bf, either log scale or actual. 

I would advise anyone new to sawing esp. in business to keep a log of the following for every job.  There's a lot of uses one can make of this information.

date
customer
engine hr start
engine hr finish
board feet either sawn or log scale

Also track fuel (gallons) purchased for/used by mill, not for every job but all the purchases.   You'll have this anyway if you fill out form 4136 federal fuels tax credit but the gallons might not be easy to pull up later unless you go to that form.

This info is also useful for Wood-Mizers "100,000 bf & One Million bf clubs"
Also keep track of the number of blades you go through!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

alanh

nice work tt, my number would have the comma way more to the left.....

WV Sawmiller

I have kept a log (Excel spreadsheet) ever since I got my mill. I capture the number of logs sawed, bf, bf/hr, type wood and comments (thicknesses, special cuts, etc) every day. I keep the log by year and make notes of starting hours on my mill and total sawed to date at the start of each year so I can keep up with totals and compare changes in cutting rates.

For what its worth I find I have been cutting a little over 151 bf/hour when comparing operating hours to total. I see I cut about 142 bf/hr the previous years and 176 bf/hr this year so experience is paying off.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!